How warm does your unheated garage stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3 car garage is unheated, but it is fully insulated, and has the furnace and water heater in it. So, it gets some heat off of those.

Usually, it stays around 55. When the wind is out of the north or northwest, it is more like 45 (blowing up against the two overhead doors).

In the summer, it doesn't get any warmer than 80 (unless I leave the doors open).

Attached garage that rarely gets below 45* overnight. The garage shares a couple walls and ceiling with house. First floor thermostat is set at 63*, and 67* for the second floor overnight.
When we built in 2011 I'd noticed other houses going up in the neighborhood weren't being insulated on the outside walls. In some houses they weren't even putting drywall on the side or front wall. I asked the builders and they said they were planning on putting dry wall on all four walls of mine, but not insulation. I asked if they had a problem if I insulated the remaining walls before the dry wall guys came in and they said they didn't care. That along with an insulated garage door helps keep the utility bills low and the garage fairly warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Mine stays just above freezing unless we go into the lower teens. Then I cover the plants in the garage and plug in an electric heater for them.

Many years I never have to turn on the heat.

We have a one stall garage under the house and it has dirt on two sides and house on the other. It stays in the 50's and once in a while high 40's.

Last edited:
I live in a condo so I have heated space on both sides and over the top. Back wall is an exterior wall and is insulated. Usually 20-30 degrees warmer. The double garage door is not insulated. The problem with the uninsulated door is condensation. Sometimes it's so bad that when I open the door I get water dripping on me.

Hate attached garages, a major source of pollution in home. Would never store a car or gas powered equipment in it. Preferred detached garages. Don't park my cars in mine in winter. Park them in the drive and parking pad in front of house, so I can remove the snow at my convenience for the bulk of the drive.
My cars start in one turn of key in the coldest weather. Aqua-Pel my windows to make ice removal easier.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Hate attached garages, a major source of pollution in home. Would never store a car or gas powered equipment in it. Preferred detached garages. Don't park my cars in mine in winter. Park them in the drive and parking pad in front of house, so I can remove the snow at my convenience for the bulk of the drive.
My cars start in one turn of key in the coldest weather. Aqua-Pel my windows to make ice removal easier.

How do they pollute? I have a carbon monoxide detector right inside my house next to the inside garage door access and it has never gone off.

We have a large detached garage.
It typically stays about twenty degrees above the overnight lows.
Even on a cold night, any snow or ice typically melts off of any car put inside the garage.

interesting ...

my unattached, uninsulated, with no soffit vents 24x48 garage tends to stay about 10 degrees above outside temp all winter long.

surprised to see others are getting closer to 20.

wonder if it isn't the three garage doors and one walk-in door i have on the front.

Basement two car garage, well insulated and has r-13 insulated garage door. Currently -20f outside, 44f inside. Wife loves it, she can get into a warm car every morning and not go outside. She often has several trips to make with work stuff and would be VERY unhappy with a detached garage. My side.....well I keep a ski boat on my side, the Sienna sits outside. Remember, you do not need a car at all, except to tow your boat to the river. Priorities!!!

My insulated, attached garage in NC stays about 20 degrees warmer than the outside temp in winter. But I close the doors, fire up the 34 year old Kerosun heater, and I work in there wearing a tee shirt.

I only wish it was an extra 3 feet deep and that I'd asked the builder to pour a concrete pit like I used when I was a kid.

My attached unheated garage is insulated so it won't get below 32 degrees inside until it gets to 5F outside. I keep a water bottle on my tool cabinet to see if and when it hits freezing.

It also depends upon how long it stays really cold and what condtions are reached during the day.
A below zero night followed by a sunny day in the mid-twenties will allow the garage to stay pretty warm.
A week of below zero nights followed with cloudy ten degree days will bring the garage temperature down from its typical differential relative to outside ambients.
Also, while an uninsulated garage will lose heat more quickly than an insulated one, it will also recover heat more quickly from the sun through the day.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
but our nights in the winter can get to the lower 40s usually.

Oh, the horror!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Mine might as well be the outside temp. It feels like it!

Same here....IF the heat was off in there LOL. Have the thermostat set to 5C(40F); any higher and it burns a lot of gas - don't think the builder cared much for insulation.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
but our nights in the winter can get to the lower 40s usually.
Oh, the horror!
grin.gif

I don't have that horror !
grin2.gif

The lowest in winter night is usually no lower than 50F, probably 4-5 nights the last 10 years we had high 40's in the garage early morning, and the garage is not insulated.

Depends on the outdoor temp. When its around zero, the unheated attached garage tends to be about 30 to 35 degrees warmer than outside. A portion of the garage (that was added on) is insulated, and the doors are all insulated steel doors. Makes a big difference in this climate.

Depends on the outdoor temp. When its around zero, the unheated attached garage tends to be about 30 to 35 degrees warmer than outside. A portion of the garage (that was added on) is insulated, and the doors are all insulated steel doors. Makes a big difference in this climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back