gas prices jump today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The oil companies always like to pay off the media and
provide bogus and fraudulent explanations for the sudden rapid
increases in prices...they mock the consumer and public with their
monopolistic nonsense.

Big oil is a monopoly? That's the funniest looking monopoly I've ever seen: multiple companies based in multiple countries, all competing with each other.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The oil companies always like to pay off the media and
provide bogus and fraudulent explanations for the sudden rapid
increases in prices...they mock the consumer and public with their
monopolistic nonsense.

Big oil is a monopoly? That's the funniest looking monopoly I've ever seen: multiple companies based in multiple countries, all competing with each other.

LOL.....

Can you say cartels and collusion?
whistle.gif

Who says they compete with each other?
The last I looked they all make millions each day and still get tax breaks

Gas has gone up about $1 a gallon in my area since the start of the year. Was $2.25 or so in Jan and I saw $3.37 this morning.

I still see $1.99 at the high-volume convenience store I go to, but the Exxon up the street has $2.09. The old saw about "Fill up frequently when gas prices are rising, less frequently when they're falling" still holds. I'd better fill up tomorrow or Sunday.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Who says they compete with each other?
The last I looked they all make millions each day and still get tax breaks

Exxon-Mobil revenue is about billion a day, with margin of 8-10% several millions profit is very reasonable.

Price increased the last 3-4 weeks is mostly from middle man and individual stations.

Costco price for regular and premium can differ as much as 30 cents a gallon between stations within Orange County, California.

Isn't this about the time of year that refineries go down for maintenance and preparing to switch to spring/summer blends with less volatiles? It's costlier to refine out and store those more volatile fractions instead of shipping them out in the finished product.

I passed on gas yesterday and filled the older Accord today for $2.16. We had a week of very cold monings and the car took 14.1 gallons. Other stations we passed today were at $2.49. Gasbuddy.com is your friend.
We'll see what tomorrow brings when I fill the newer Accord.
I'm guessing a buck twenty or so.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Lets not forget who takes in the biggest $$$ on all of this. Government. Not oil companies or retailers.

How do you figure that?
The federal gas tax hasn't been raised since Bill Clinton was planning the removal of White House furniture upon his leaving office.
The sum of federal and state gas taxes in Ohio amounts to 46.4 cents per gallon.
In the state with the highest fuel tax, New York, it's 68.7 cents per gallon.
In neither case can we conclude that most of the pump price is going to the government as taxes, so your ascertion is undone.
If you were right, then New York motorists would be happily paying less than a buck forty a gallon.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Lets not forget who takes in the biggest $$$ on all of this. Government. Not oil companies or retailers.

How do you figure that?
The federal gas tax hasn't been raised since Bill Clinton was planning the removal of White House furniture upon his leaving office.
The sum of federal and state gas taxes in Ohio amounts to 46.4 cents per gallon.
In the state with the highest fuel tax, New York, it's 68.7 cents per gallon.
In neither case can we conclude that most of the pump price is going to the government as taxes, so your ascertion is undone.

And the government spends around $1.50 for every dollar that comes in from gas tax on roads, so the real winners are the contractors and asphalt plants.

Last edited:
gas prices have gone up 40 cents a gallon in the past 6 weeks here. When gas prices were dropping, all I heard from the state government, it maybe time to raise the state tax on gasoline for TN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back