Oil additives of the past and present

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems some products like Kreen, Rislone, and MMO have survived the test of time with little or no formulation changes. That tells me they got it right from the beginning, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. That can also be true for the use of those additives I mentioned. If ain't broke don't fix it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It seems some products like Kreen, Rislone, and MMO have survived the test of time with little or no formulation changes. That tells me they got it right from the beginning, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. That can also be true for the use of those additives I mentioned. If ain't broke don't fix it.

They must be doing something right. Otherwise those products would have disappeared a long time ago. And I have not heard anything about the FTC fining any of the companies that make those products for false advertising.

Lucas fuel system treatment may have some value in "constant depression" carbs such as the British "Skinner Unions" (SU) and other moving piston carbs such as those found in motorcycles. No doubt 2 cycle oil in the right proportion might do just as well.

-SyN- said:
I am very curious about liqui-moly ceratec?

Any of you use this in the past and still using it today?

[/quote
Plenty of posts about Ceratec. I'm trying it after good results with MOS2

Originally Posted By: Mystic
It should be common sense to anybody that it is unacceptable to replace most or all of the motor oil with MMO.

I think most vehicles can run with a quart of kerosene..er...MMO mixed with the oil. I would be careful in summer. In the 50's I believe it was common to run a quart of kerosene mixed in with the engine oil duringj breakin.

After reading about ester based crank case cleaners I will can not get excited about putting a quart of kerosene in an engine that will start and run.
smile.gif

I have seen my dad run our 60 Chevy inline 6 for a minute with only kerosene in the crank case. That car did not even come with an oil filter but he added a Fram after market filter kit. He may have done that flush just before adding the Fram oil filter kit to the engine. Never saw him do it but that one time in my life. He started using Standard Oil 10W-30 high detergent motor oil in 1962 and some farmers thought he was crazy to waste that money.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back