Motorcraft 820-s Oil Filter Failures? Fram Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
For those of you who are doubters, I suggest this one little experiment to change your mind:
Go out and take your filter off and "bypass" the filter function all together with any home-made system you can contrive in your garage. Then park outside tomorrow morning in the cold and give 'er a start. If your theory of filter restriction is correct, then the absense of the filter should present absolutely no oil flow resistance whatsoever. Therefore your oil pressure gage should be a zero, even at cold start with 15w-40. Right? I mean, for the theory of filter restriction being a major contribution to overall system restriction to be correct, then removing the restriction should allow complete and total ever-loving uninhibited flow, right? Perhaps now you understand how silly this is? Pressure is resistance to flow in a dynamic fluid system. So if the filter is the supposed main contributor, and if you remove it, then all pressure should be lost upon it's removal. Your engine should have at or near zero PSI at start up, in the cold, with thick lube, and be able to maintain that status of ultra low pressure as the oil moves through it's vis range with temp changes, as well as all rpm of engine operation. This is the ONLY result that could possibly be true IF one believes the filter is the main restriction of lube flow in an engine.

Actually, you have it backwards. There are two common points to measure oil pressure. One is between the pump and the filter, and the other is between the filter and the rest of the engine.

Normally, oil pressure is sensed from a tap in the block, which is between the filter and the rest of the engine. So, you'll get zero there only when the filter and its bypass are completely blocked (or the pickup tube screen is blocked), i.e., block oil pressure = pump pressure minus filter drop. The more the pressure drop at the filter, the lower the block oil pressure. Block oil pressure also = pressure from resistance to flow after the filter. They're the same pressure number, because it's the same point in the system.

I think that you're thinking of pressure between the pump and the filter, which is sensed if you're measuring pressure using an oil sandwich plate. There, the more the pressure drop at the filter, the higher the apparent oil pressure. Useless to sense except for the difference between the two pressures, which is the "delta P" of the filter.

So, this got me thinking. I have both a P1 and an Ultra that fit my '08 Civic. I wonder what the difference is between the base plates. Wow!!! Big difference. Although I couldn't get a good pic, the inside of the Ultra appears to have more holes.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
All the oil holes in the ultra seem a lot smaller than the motorcraft.. The inlet holes although the ultra has eight and the motorcraft has six the motorcraft inlet oil holes look about double the size of the fram. The oil holes inside the fram are also smaller.
Quality wise from looking at them (not cutting them open) the fram looks like it is of better quality than the motorcraft and the baseplate threads are much nicer on the ultra also.
By looking at both of them just by eye looking at the oil holes i would think the motorcraft is less restrictive but i could be wrong either way they will both do the job. The motorcraft is usually less than half the cost of the ultra.
I will be installing the ultra next week as soon as i have an open bay at the shop its to cold to do it outside.

This may help!

Excuse me, if I could have everyones attention, the words "Fram" and "ultra" have been mentioned numerous times, so if everyone could go ahead and pay z06 his royalties we can get back on topic....just kidding. They both flow the same. No difference. Don't worry about it. I have it on good authority that motorcraft filters are just fine...Run them, cut and post!

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
So, this got me thinking. I have both a P1 and an Ultra that fit my '08 Civic. I wonder what the difference is between the base plates. Wow!!! Big difference. Although I couldn't get a good pic, the inside of the Ultra appears to have more holes.

Tearolator NOOOOO the horrrorrrr
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: SJohnson

If there were any more holes in the Ultra's base plate, there wouldn't be a base plate left. Don't know what crazyoildude is talking about.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
All the oil holes in the ultra seem a lot smaller than the motorcraft.. The inlet holes although the ultra has eight and the motorcraft has six the motorcraft inlet oil holes look about double the size of the fram. The oil holes inside the fram are also smaller.
Quality wise from looking at them (not cutting them open) the fram looks like it is of better quality than the motorcraft and the baseplate threads are much nicer on the ultra also.
By looking at both of them just by eye looking at the oil holes i would think the motorcraft is less restrictive but i could be wrong either way they will both do the job. The motorcraft is usually less than half the cost of the ultra.
I will be installing the ultra next week as soon as i have an open bay at the shop its to cold to do it outside.

This may help!

Bingo ... that's the thread I was referring to. Ultra wins the base plate total hole area comparo.

Originally Posted By: Skid
There are two common points to measure oil pressure. One is between the pump and the filter, and the other is between the filter and the rest of the engine.

True

Originally Posted By: Skid
Normally, oil pressure is sensed from a tap in the block, which is between the filter and the rest of the engine. So, you'll get zero there only when the filter and its bypass are completely blocked (or the pickup tube screen is blocked), i.e., block oil pressure = pump pressure minus filter drop. The more the pressure drop at the filter, the lower the block oil pressure. Block oil pressure also = pressure from resistance to flow after the filter. They're the same pressure number, because it's the same point in the system.

Keep in mind that we are talking about positive displacement oil pumps, which are typically used on most vehicles on the road. With a positive displacement oil pump (that is in good shape and doesn't leak internally due to being worn out), the oil pressure seen between the filter and block will remain the same - regardless of the filter resistance - until the oil pump goes into pressure relief. That is the only time that the statement in red above would be true.

I've verified this on my car that has accurate digital oil pressure and oil temperature sensors located just after the oil filter.

The oil pressure seen between the filter and block is an indication of the oil flow volume (at a certain viscosity/temperature), going through the engine block's resistance. As more oil volume is forced through the system by the pump, the oil pressure will also become higher if all other factors are held constant (ie, system resistance & oil viscosity/temperature).

The only time you would see a lower oil pressure after the filter is when the pump is in pressure relief, and the oil pump goes from a positive displacement function to a max/constant supply pressure function.

We've used Motorcraft oil filters for years with no failures.

Not broken,no need to fix!
wink.gif

The oil inlet holes on that ultra 7317 are very large compared to the ultra XG2 which only have 8 about the same size as that purolator while the motorcraft has 6 very large ones.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Has there ever been an ultra failure? (NOT talking about purolator
laugh.gif
)

Yes most of them cartridge filters. Only one spin on had issues and I think it was the leaf spring came out of place and the element moved inside the can.

The oil inlet holes on that ultra 7317 are very large compared to the ultra XG2 which only have 8 about the same size as that purolator while the motorcraft has 6 very large ones.

What are you trying to say? Apologies, but I am not following you.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

What are you trying to say? Apologies, but I am not following you.

crazyoildude needs to take photos to show the comparison, then do the total hole measurement/calculation.

Ok just took the pictures can someone tell me how to upload and or post it here on bitog i never posted anything...
Thanks

Ok just took the pictures can someone tell me how to upload and or post it here on bitog i never posted anything...
Thanks

Here are some general instructions.

Our resident (official) Fram guy, Motorking, touched upon this a few months ago in another post. Basically, what he said was the total volume of all the inlet holes was equal to or greater than the volume of the outlet hole.

I will see what i think when i install it and run it for however long take it off and cut both of them opened but i have no reason to not believe him he knows much more about his oil filters than i do. This is the first ultra i ever bought. In a matter of fact this is the first fram i ever considered since joining bitog in 08
Can't help but notice those oil holes on the motorcraft look much bigger all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back