98 Pontiac wont start and has no dash lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to have my 98 Pontiac Sunfire towed in last night. You can turn the key on and no dash warning lights come. Use to all of them would come on when the key was on run. You can try and start the car and it will run maybe 2 secs and die. It will do it every time you turn the key off and back to start.

What could be wrong?

I have tried replacing the ignition switch and doing the passlock reset but nothing has worked. The radio headlights blower motor etc work.

Did you replace the ignition switch or the cylinder? They are two different assemblies. The cylinder is what sends the password resistance value to the antitheft. It could be a problem with the Passlock module or the ignition cylinder. You obviously have some type of electrical problem some it could be a wireing or connection problem as well. It would be hard for anyone to be able to diagnosis it from the forum. It might be cheaper to have a dealer diagnosis it than throw parts at it.

Yeah it's the lock cylinder that tends to cause issues with the Passlock. I am not suggesting you to now replace the lock cylinder as it could also be the Passlock module or even the wiring or conections in between. The problem just might not even be the Passlock system but it seems like it is.

Would passlock cause the dash lights not to come on? I tried the replacement lock cylinder case with the same results.

Do you have any ideal where the passlock module is?

The passlock module is built into the instrument panel cluster (ipc). Whenever you replace the ipc, lock cylinder or PCM, you have to do the password relearn procedure:

1.Turn key to Start (engine dies. security light flashes or stays on solid))

2. Leave key in Run position for 10 mins (Do not turn key off during this time)

3. Turn key to off for a few seconds and attmpt to start following steps 1. and 2. for a total three times.
The password should be relearned by the 3rd attempt.
Are you following the relearn procedure above?

Yes your cluster could be bad but so could the wiring and connections so switching out the cluster might not fix it. Does it crank when you turn to Start?

Does this car have a separate body control module? Sometimes security resides within that, as does gauge driving.

The J-body didn't have a separate BCM until about 2000. The earlier models use Passlock I with the theft module integrated into the instrument panel.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my Saturn a couple of weeks ago. Carefully check your battery connections first, if you haven't done so already. Remove both of them from the battery and clean them thoroughly with a moist towel and maybe some sandpaper. Clean the battery posts as well. Then make sure everything is good and tight and see what happens.

Battery is fine. This same subject from different owners of 98 Pontiac Sunfires is all over the internet. However, there are never any solutions posted. I've spend over $500 on diagnostics (all ASE certified) and parts (starter, ignition switch/coil, fuel pump has been ruled out by all, replaced instrument cluster,tried to override the Theftlock in ever way possible way 10 clicks...10 minutes...battery. Nothing is working. Starts for 5 seconds then shuts off with no lights on cluster. There are only two Pontiac certified repair shops in my city. First one stated "I can get you fixed up for around $500 with me simply explaining the issue, but never taking it to the shop. He also wanted $120 to run a diagnostic on top of that. Second shop stated "I don't think the Pontiac Sunfire has a Theftlock system..needless to say I hung up cause he obviously has no clue. I am going to junk or part it out next week if I can't figure this out.

*******************SOLVED*********************************

Hey everyone! I solved this issue. After getting ridiculous quotes of $1,300 + to get a new "computer" for my 98 Pontiac Sunfire, I contacted a poster who had the same issue. I was advised that it was the instrument cluster panel. I ordered a used one on Ebay for $64 (had to find one with only a few miles over my mileage. I installed it (there's Youtube video's with simple instructions. Found out a few wires needed replacement. Car is up and running for $80. There are places you can search around online that you can actually ship your panel to be repaired for under $200. I say try THAT before you start messing around with the starter, fuel pump, ignition coil..etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back