Harley-Davidson questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What engine and bike style is the funnest to own, to you? (Pride of ownership, enjoyment of maintenance intervals and difficulty)

Im searching for my 'forever' bike and have only owned Japanes street and offoad bikes in the past. What I like in a Harley: real wheels, guess you can call them cast wheels, i dont want the headache of adjusting spoke tension.........removable windshield........low rpm torque......room for a lady AND a tent......fun and confident handling when things get twisty......relaxed interstate cruising and a few things all of us want, like a smooth/reliable drivetrain, strong frame......fine metals

Why is it a Sportster is about half the price of a Dyna or Softtail?

Carburetor or ESPFI?

Evo or twin cam? I dont care about a few more hp, but do worry about the cam chain failing, being rougher, or needing more frequent attention as a single cam OR if im not mistaken, did they have a cam/crank geared to one another without the need for a chain?

Ill probably be looking to get one from the mid eighties and up and like quite a few (in no special order): Softtail Deluxe, Fat Boy, Switchback, Dyna Wide Glide, and the Road King.

If you're going back to the mid 80's find an FXRS and never look back. The best looking bike they've built.
0503hb_ebay19_z.jpg

I prefer my feet to be under me.

There may be a new BMW R1200GS in my stable this spring. We'll see.

Reliability, very comfortable for great distances, and the ability to travel overland in all but the worst sand or mud. I love 'em. This is my third BMW R bike.

I have had a Sportster, Low Rider, Yamahas and now have a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 ABS.

My best advice is to go ride a few. Then look for a low mileage garage queen that someone impulse bought and doesn't ride.

I would say not to limit yourself to just Harley, there are many other great bikes to choose from. If you want american made...Harley, Victory and Indian. Most importantly ride them all before making a purchase decision. Regardless of what you get you will love it!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
What engine and bike style is the funnest to own, to you? (Pride of ownership, enjoyment of maintenance intervals and difficulty)

Im searching for my 'forever' bike and have only owned Japanes street and offoad bikes in the past. What I like in a Harley: real wheels, guess you can call them cast wheels, i dont want the headache of adjusting spoke tension.........removable windshield........low rpm torque......room for a lady AND a tent......fun and confident handling when things get twisty......relaxed interstate cruising and a few things all of us want, like a smooth/reliable drivetrain, strong frame......fine metals

Why is it a Sportster is about half the price of a Dyna or Softtail?

Carburetor or ESPFI?

Evo or twin cam? I dont care about a few more hp, but do worry about the cam chain failing, being rougher, or needing more frequent attention as a single cam OR if im not mistaken, did they have a cam/crank geared to one another without the need for a chain?

Ill probably be looking to get one from the mid eighties and up and like quite a few (in no special order): Softtail Deluxe, Fat Boy, Switchback, Dyna Wide Glide, and the Road King.

Well ,that's a bunch to answer ! ! First off height and weight of you and your passenger ? As to the sports being half of A big twin its more like like 2\3 the price . I have had 5 Dynas over the years , got a 13 superglide and 02 sporty .
The efi is the way to go . A Evo is gear driven , Twin can are chain , but gear driven cams are made for them . Sports are gear driven . Twin cams came in 99 ,except in the soft tails . With the hydraulic adjusters used now , there is very little cam shoe problems

Jake

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
...fun and confident handling when things get twisty......

XR1200 ? Otherwise I don't think Harley does that, although a basic 883 Evo, standard pegs etc is fun.

Funny you mention that Silk. I remember when I was a noob and had just a few months experience and went to Deals Gap. Me and a buddy were on sportbikes and, I kid you not, a peloton/gang of cruisers all passed us by, some who were two up. They just flew on by us, i know we werent fast, but, that just goes to show a bagger can hold its own on the streets. Sportbikes excel on a closed circuit.

Thank you buckeyejake for trying to answer. I owned carbureted sportbikes and the fueling was superb, only downside was if you left gas in it for several months you had to clean the jets. From what I hear this is not the case with FI, but I rode a friends FI GSXR and the fueling was terrible. It was not, how do I say, continuos it was notchy (like on an old road bicycle you can either click into each gear or have it roll on). Like, you turn the throttle a millimeter and you get a certain setting, then another mm and get this fuel curve, vs my carb which was like continuously variable. This was circa 2004, so maybe FI was new to 600cc sportbikes then, but it really took the fun and finesse out of the sport.

For you others, I am set on getting an HD, but not too sure about having floorboards. I do want to stay awake on the thing.

Btw, I REALLY want a Buell Firebolt/Lightning 1200 but there just isnt anywhere around here to enjoy it. What would you rather have? A foxbody Mustang or a Ferrari F50? Remember now, there are no racetracks around so owning the Ferrari would be more of a chore than a labor of love.

My 600cc sportbike has a banana seat and hooks on the frame for bungee cords. I was able to ride Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific to middle Oregon and as much as, IIRC, 6000 miles in one month before I put it away thinking I need a cruiser not a trackbike. However this was a street oriented sportbike and never once lacked or left me aching, even in the middle of May in Death Valley. Great bike, but I dont want to cruise the entire length of I20 at 110mph anymore, but need a bike that can cruise comfortably 500 miles all day at a whim's notice, then putt around town the rest of the year, have enough power and afility to get out of trouble, etc.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I have a friend with a Berlinetta boxer,old but real nice and a 328 . Beautiful as can be but I wouldn't take either one if they were given to me. They are a mechanical nightmare.

If you can handle the smaller size of the Sportster, I would go that route. I think the 1200 is the best bike Harley has ever made. Get aftermarket Progressive shocks for the rear and save your back. I have a 2007 Dyna and really like it. If you get a newer twin cam bike, keep in mind the 2007+ have the bigger 96 c.i. engine w/ hydraulic cam chain tensioners and a six speed, which for all practical purposes is bulletproof and leaps and bounds better than the five speed which it replaced. Five speeds have some inherent issues with the shifter linkage.

You should subscribe to a couple motorcycle magazines, read and learn about the different types of bikes out there, go to some dealerships and kick tires. And be honest about your riding ability and experience level. I have personally seen guys go buy a big twin Harley, with no idea what they are getting themselves into. Only to have a crash. Same goes for the 600 and 1000 sportbikes.
If you are drawn to the cruiser style of bikes, v-twin then a Harley is a great way to go. You are automatically in the "club" which is important to some.

The OP has obviously been around bikes from reading his posts. He should go to a Harley dealer and look around, sit on a few bikes, and find a certain style that appeals to him and then decide what he is interested in, whether new or used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back