ad blue....Not a diesel additive...but Jeez !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SCR fluid for passenger vehicles is an absolute Rort.

Mate has a Mazda turbodiesel, which requires the adblue as part of it's service regime.

His manual shows how to refill it, and Mazda sell the stuff for $12/L, in a dinky air balanced, stop valved bottle....needs $70 for a refill.

Working through it the other day, there are truck stops that sell it in bulk for less than $1.50/L...he bought a plastic fuel can ($20), and while in the big smoke paid $15 for 10L of the stuff.

Then obtained a bottle off another guy, who demanded to keep the empties after his last car service...explain why later.

So modified the bottle to be a fancy funnel, and refilled his system for $35, rather than $60.

Service time, and Mazda quoted $540...he asked if an Adblue service was part of the quote, and they said yes that they'd fill it during the service. He advised that his system was full, he ran out and had it refilled.

$420was the adjusted price...$120 to put $60 of adblue (at their retail price) which can be found for $9.

Sounds like that mate using the Mazda service is being hung upside down by the snickers and being shaking for all his goods and spare change.

What else is done in the service to warrant the $540/$420 adjusted? Sounds like they apply a thick coat of KY jelly to somewhere near the rearend.

Nice use of the vernacular, held upside down by the clackers is the normal parlance in my area.

Just adblue delete was $120...

The rest of the "service" is clearly not value for money either.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Just curious, is AdBlue like the USA DEF?

not just like it, that's exactly what it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

and that video is crazy... having to remove part of the trunk liner to fill it? now granted i haven't been around too many Diesel passenger cars here in the states, but on pickups that i've seen, the DEF fill hole is a secondary port next to the fuel filler

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back