Win Xp and a 1TB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replaced my Seagate 80MB drive with a WD1TB in my Dell Precision 390 workstation. I can believe WinXP is actually seeing the whole volume. Now formatting.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz see you tomorrow.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
That's always been more of a BIOS limitation, but glad it's working.
wink.gif

Funny I put a 500GB Seagate on it and it wouldn't recognize it. Sent that drive back and went to Best Buy where the geek squad gave me a Western Digital 1TB drive and said it would work. He was right.
21.gif

He said the WD drives have fewer compatibility issues.

That may be true. You my be putting a SATA 3/6.0 drive connected to a SATA 1/1.5 motherboard controller. It may not like it. It's all supposed to be backward compatible but not always.

I'm running my Dell Vostro 1000 laptop with XP as I type this now. I have no problem with XP and I don't think I will update to Window 7 or 8 anytime soon.

wink.gif

Wasn't there an issue with the original XP release not supporting drives over 128GB (which didn't exist at the time it was released)? I seem to remember it was fixed in one of the service packs.

That may be true. You my be putting a SATA 3/6.0 drive connected to a SATA 1/1.5 motherboard controller. It may not like it. It's all supposed to be backward compatible but not always.

It s SATA 3.0 motherboard and 6.0 drive but it is backwards compatible and apparently WD has the firmware already on the drive. Plus I went to the Dell site and found a firmware update from 2014 for WD drives and it's running fine now.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Wow with Microsoft no longer supporting XP I'm surprised you didn't pick up a cheap copy of Win 7 or 8.

My server is running Win2000 Server & SQL so the compatibility of XP fits better than Win7. I need to squeeze another 2 years out of this system until I move the office and then it all hits the scrap heap and my data gets converted to an ASP which is the company that wrote my database software in 1997. They will host everything for me for $50/month. No more servers or email clients just a new system with 10GB of ram and I am flying. Plus then I can ditch my vpn and go 100% virtual office from Florida.

Sittin on the beach....doin business Yeah baby
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: emg
wink.gif

Wasn't there an issue with the original XP release not supporting drives over 128GB (which didn't exist at the time it was released)? I seem to remember it was fixed in one of the service packs.

The computer I am typing this on has a 500GB WD drive and XP/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back