Bike for a very short rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes best friend wants to ride. The problem is, she is short. I mean REALLY short. I mean "can't flat-foot a Rebel" short. She's 4'5" tall. So...anything out there someone that short can ride?

Frontrunners now are a Suzuki S40/LS650 Savage, Hyosung GV250, Buell Blast (with the optional low seat), and a Sportster 883 Low.

Any other suggestions?

Might take a look at a hardtail bobber. They sit real low but not so great on a long ride. Meant more for town cruising or short sprints.

You can look into a universal lowering kit for the rear shocks. Or shorter shocks. I bought a set that lowered he rear of my wife's Sportster,2 inches. You might laugh, but I've seen women with thicker soles and heels on their riding boots to help them be more flat footed.,,,

BMW F700GS with factory lowered suspension and low seat.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
BMW F700GS with factory lowered suspension and low seat.
smile.gif

30" seat...still too high. (Seriously: that's 5" higher than anything I mentioned!)

Just keep in mind that seat height isn't everything. The shape of the seat itself (how wide it is) also plays into this. Then there is weight how how it's distributed.

If she can't flat foot a Rebel - BMW's are out. BMW's website/seat configurator won't give you anything solid for anyone under about 5'3.

Of course it is really more about her inseam that height, but at under 5 feet, her inseam just can't be that long.

Just keep in mind that seat height isn't everything. The shape of the seat itself (how wide it is) also plays into this. Then there is weight how how it's distributed.

But seat height is the first criteria. If she can't get her feet down, that bike it out! (Offhand, she was about 6" off the ground on my wife's Comet!)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
But seat height is the first criteria. If she can't get her feet down, that bike it out!

You're not understanding what I'm saying. If the seat is wide and causes her leg to stretch sideways, then there is less of the leg length remaining to reach the ground.

No, I am understanding...but YOU aren't understanding. If the seat is 28+" high, it does not MATTER how wide it is or is not, she can't reach the ground!

But seat height is the first criteria. If she can't get her feet down, that bike it out!

You're not understanding what I'm saying. If the seat is wide and causes her leg to stretch sideways, then there is less of the leg length remaining to reach the ground.

That is correct it is not purely the seat height but is the "leg curve", which is controlled by inseam, seat height and seat/MC frame width.

Still, at her height BMW's are out. She might be able to come close to flat footing a Softail Slim or 883 SuperLow with a lowering kit.

One of the girls on another forum went with a Royal Enfield, but I think she was over 5 feet.

If the seat is 28+" high, it does not MATTER how wide it is or is not,

I understand that. I was not referring to any particular seat height. I was speaking of leg curve in general.

Oh well. Some things aren't meant to be for someone so small. If 28" is still too tall, you can rule out some scooters too. All the Honda ones are at least that height.

Stock seat height on a rebel is around 26", however the stock seat is about 3-4" thick. Maybe look at a custom seat.

Keep in mind, being able to flat foot it, is not a requirement. Many sport bike/sport tour rider are only on the balls of their feet if they can get both feet even on the ground. From what I have seen, flat footing it as a requirement seems to almost only be a cruiser thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back