'Best' cleaning oils and OCi question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Lets assume that all oils 'clean' engines well enough. But, some may clean better than others...

Theoretically speaking, for the best cleaning oils, would their oci be shorter due to oil filter capacity being reached sooner?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
That engine must be pretty nasty, to reach oil filter capacity. A typical engine will see it's ADBV wear out before the filter gets clogged.

I agree.

Just my experience, the cartridge filter in the GFs Volvo only had 2 pleats partly packed with sludge over a 3k OCI. Of course this would depend on how much sludge and the length of the OCI.

My advice, cut open at 3k and go from there.

I have cleaned a few engines with PP and 5000 OCI and used Fram orange cans. Never even got close to filling up the filter with crud. But if you have a sludge monster then try a synthetic oil and 4000 OCI for 2-3 times and then just go to 5000 and stay there. Cleaning takes a long time. Usually as long as it takes to get sludged or longer.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Some people use one oil filter for every two oil changes w no filter media problems

Honda recommends that on most of their cars and their filter is just like a Fram orange can.

For sludged up engines, I recommend 3 - 4 short LOF changes with inexpensive oil like SuperTech conventional and a simple Fram Extended Guard Oil Filter.

Example: Drive 500 miles and change oil and filter; then drive an additional 1,000 miles with oil and/or filter change; then drive 1,500 miles with oil and/or filter change; then go 2,000 miles and stay on a 3,000 mile OCI until you're sure the engine is clean. Be very careful if adding a proven additive into the crankcase and follow the instructions precisely.

The above scenario is for a badly sludged up engine that runs decent. For minor issues, your OCI might be a little longer, such as: 500, 1,500, then every 3,000 until your engine is clean - depending on your application and driving style.

Members browsing this Forum should learn that in the long-run, maintenance never costs you.

Prevention is also much better than redemption.

You generally come out ahead when performing maintenance in almost all aspects of life: maintenance on your vehicles and mechanical equipment, maintenance on your house / yard, maintenance on your family (wife and children), maintenance on relationships you value, and etc....

Proper maintenance ensures things last longer, whether they be mechanical or with those you desire long-term relationships with.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
And what is any of that going to do? It's motor oil, not cleaning solvent. You're just wasting oil and money.

The fresh detergents (calcium, magnesium compounds) will help clean everything out. Oil is a cleaning solvent, one of its jobs in there.

I would personally run a quality conventional and filter at a short interval. If the filter packing up is a concern, get some Fram extra guards and run them at 500, 1000 etc. The only way to know what's going on is to cut them open.

Changing the oil with plenty of life left won't help IMO. The filter will keep the oil clean.

Penzoil Platinum is supposed to have superior cleaning ability, but like others have stated...why waste your money on an oil if the sole purpose is to clean out your engine? You could drain a quart of oil and add diesel oil in it to see if that helps...or mystery oil. Or just shorten the oil change interval with cheap Walmart synthetic.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Theoretically speaking, for the best cleaning oils, would their oci be shorter due to oil filter capacity being reached sooner?

I'd look at it this way - it's application dependent. If an engine is in need of a lot of cleaning, that certainly shortens an OCI. However, a good cleaning oil tends to have decent TBN as well, and in a clean engine should be better for longer OCIs. Of course, we cannot discount TBN retention.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Penzoil Platinum is supposed to have superior cleaning ability, but like others have stated...why waste your money on an oil if the sole purpose is to clean out your engine? You could drain a quart of oil and add diesel oil in it to see if that helps...or mystery oil. Or just shorten the oil change interval with cheap Walmart synthetic.

On this theme, I use the ATF method. I am sold on it and do it with any "new" used car I get or every couple oil changes anyway. Add perhaps a 1/2 qt. 50 miles or so before the oil change. I can notice the oil darken from additional cleaning in that period. Ot and it is a very old method used for many decades. I have also used HDEO in a gas engine for a shorter OCI to clean when I had an issue (clogged oil drain holes in rings). That worked, too.

Thread about ATF:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=263558

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back