New Little Scattergun - Kel-Tec KSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd been looking at them for a while, and, though they have mixed reviews, I decided to chance it and try one out.

They're on GunBroker for $739 buy-it-now, so when I stopped at a gun shop in Jackson, TN on my way to Memphis today and the owner offered to sell a recent-production model black KSG for $760 plus tax and background, I told him to write it up.

Not a stellar deal, but acceptable.

I wanted one of the more recent production units, because from what I read, the early ones had some issues. Production is up into the 70,000+ range now, and, from my serial #, mine was #69,443. Probably made sometime last year.

Just FYI, KT will update your early model KSG at no charge if you're having issues.

I realize that if I asked several knowledgeable gun people their opinion on what a top-quality, high-reliability firearm was, none of them would probably answer Kel-Tec. However, What you do get with Kel-Tec is innovation...their products are some of the most unique in the industry. Kel-Tec "sticks their neck out" in making unique firearms that have qualities you can't get from other OEMs. The result is that they sometimes have issues. But, everything I've read points to them making vast improvements... For example they just received their ISO-9001 certs. If you've familiar with that standard, you know how hard it is to get, and how expensive.

I also recently watched a video of a factory tour on the Hank Strange YouTube channel. Kel-Tec's "PR Guy" takes Hank on a tour of the factory, and I liked what I saw. Just everyday folks who work there...quite a "family" atmosphere. And it says on the box, "American-made, American parts, and American-owned." It's quite the American Dream, actually; the founder, George Kellgren, immigrated here from his native Sweden and started the company back in the 90s.

So, yeah, I'm becoming a "fan" of Kel-Tec...going from having the opinion that their products were basically ugly junk, to appreciating the uniqueness and innovation.

We'll see if my opinion is backed up with good service out of my new KSG shotgun!

I will definitely update this thread after I put some rounds through it!

Originally Posted By: c502cid
I've been waiting for one at the right price so yes, let us know how you like it.

Will do Mr. 502!

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Hope it works for you!

Thanks...

I get the feeling that you're withholding your opinion on it...

Go ahead and spill the beans... We can take it!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I am on the fence on many Kel Tec things. I do love the SUB 2000 though.

That IS a neat little carbine!

So is their SU-16 (5.56)!

Kel-Tec is interesting. I actually grew up in Cocoa, FL where the factory is (Diamond Back firearms is down the road too)

I've owned about 10 of their products. Some of them worked, some of them didn't. They do have fantastic customer service and always took care of me lickity split when I had a problem. Unfortunately, they have a history of putting guns out that never should have went out in the spirit of "efficiency" and getting the guns out the door as fast as possible.

For Kel-Tec to become a great manufacturer, they need to do two things, in my opinion.

First, they need to do a smidgeon more quality control on every gun BEFORE it goes out. Way too many cases of guns not working and having to go back to the factory to get fixed. Yes their technicians are great at getting the guns working, but they should work out of the box.

Second, they are the only gun company that I am aware of that has an outside plastic molder mold their gun frames in halves, and then Kel-Tec screw the two halves together with screws. In this day and age, it is ridiculous that they STILL bolt their two plastic molded pieces together with screws because they don't have injection molding capabilities. If Kel-Tec had injection molding capabilities, the innovation that could come out of that company would be astounding.

The only Kel-Tec I still own is a Sub 2000. It actually served a very specific purpose, and is the only reason I bought it. In my patrol car we don't have shotgun or rifle racks up front. I wanted a "rifle" up front with me. We carried Sig P226 pistols, so I found a rare Sub 2000 that takes Sig Sauer magazines and kept it up front with me folded up in my seat organizer (you know, just in case) It's a handy little carbine and has never jammed or given me any trouble.

As for that shotgun thingamajig, it is a cool toy. Not really sure what purpose it serves other than toy. They are pretty cool though.

That is largely how I feel about them. They make fun target guns/toys, but the SUB 2000 is the only one I have ever shot that I would trust my life with.

With how cheap AR-15 guns are now, the SU16 is more of a afterthought gun. I have friends in Cali that have them because getting a proper AR is out and the only other real options are the new ARES Defense SCR or a Mini 14 for a 223/5.56 semi auto.

My super lightweight carry is a Kel-Tec P-32. Great little mouse gun. It also comes in .380 a la the P-3AT. For a small gun, I prefer the P-32 due to it having a last round hold-open (the P-3AT does not).

I think most Kel-Tec products are great values for gun nuts. There are sometimes machining marks left in the gun that can cause hang-ups. Some guns respond well to a good polishing...a fluff-n-buff as some might call it. Could these things be done before they leave the factory? Of course...but you couldn't buy a super concealable 9mm (PF-9) for $250 new, either. A "high quality" equivalent to a PF-9 would be something like a Shield or an LC9, both of which cost $100-150 more.

I'm certainly not advocating buying a gun so cheap that you can't trust it. But for those who don't mind a little elbow grease and break-in period, many of Kel-Tec's products are a great value. (Once they're broken in, they usually run smooth as a whistle.)

Plus, I can't help but feel good by supporting a small American company who manufacturers their stuff in-house in the United States.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

As for that shotgun thingamajig, it is a cool toy. Not really sure what purpose it serves other than toy. They are pretty cool though.

Maverick 88 (22" barrel) conventional 20-ga. pump (top) vs. Kel-Tec KSG bullpup (18.5" barrel):

I know I'm comparing a 22" barrel with an 18.5", but it gives an idea of just how short the KSG is, overall. You can see that it would still be much shorter, even if the barrels on the 2 guns were the same length.

Yeah, it can BE a toy, same as any firearm. But what really caught my attention about the shotgun was the firepower it provides in such a compact package.

I'd still have bought it even if it only held 6-7 rounds instead of 15.

At just 26" overall, the shotgun is easily hidden behind the seats of my truck, where I can easily grab it, shoulder it, and swing it around to aim out the window without the muzzle hitting the windshield or A-pillar.

At that length, I can also easily conceal the shotgun under a jacket with a sling if I needed to.

The usefulness of the weapon in a CQB situation goes without saying...

Combine all that with the variety of ammunition available for the gun, including slugs, shot, 2-3/4" as well as 3" loads, and I don't see how anyone WOULDN'T see the usefulness of the KSG.

There simply isn't another weapon that offers the combination of lightweight, compact firepower delivered by this gun.

Of course, all the above is moot if the gun won't function
smile.gif

Kel-Tec has been fairly busy for the past 20 yrs or so. When they introduced the P11 9mm pistol, at the time it was the smallest, lightest double-stack 9mm available anywhere. Indeed, if not for the 10-round limit, it would have probably been called the P12 or P13, since a 12 round magazine fits flush.

Hope the shotgun works out well for you. My only advice would be to wear very good hearing protection when you shoot it- that bull-pup configuration puts the muzzle mighty close to your ears!

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Kel-Tec has been fairly busy for the past 20 yrs or so. When they introduced the P11 9mm pistol, at the time it was the smallest, lightest double-stack 9mm available anywhere. Indeed, if not for the 10-round limit, it would have probably been called the P12 or P13, since a 12 round magazine fits flush.

Hope the shotgun works out well for you. My only advice would be to wear very good hearing protection when you shoot it- that bull-pup configuration puts the muzzle mighty close to your ears!

20 yrs is about all the time they've existed!

Solid advice about the hearing protection, I'm sure.

Can't wait to fire off that dern thing
smile.gif

Finally made it to the range with the KSG yesterday. Man this thing is awesome!

It kicks!

No functional problems with birdshot, buckshot or slugs.

The spent shells do hit my wrist, same problem several YouTube reviewers had with the gun. After about 25 rounds, my wrist had a knot on it and was bleeding a little. I tried holding my wrist out a little bit, so the shells wouldn't hit, but that's distracting while shooting the shotgun, and feels awkward. In the future, while shooting it, I'll wear a wristband, or gloves to prevent the problem. Minor issues in my opinion.

I ordered a set of Magpul MBUS II sights, a hand stop for the business end of the pump, a barrel lug wrench, and a side rail to mount a light or whatever. That stuff should be here this afternoon, so I'll probably go back to the range and sight it in.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

It kicks!

The spent shells do hit my wrist, same problem several YouTube reviewers had with the gun. After about 25 rounds, my wrist had a knot on it and was bleeding a little. I tried holding my wrist out a little bit, so the shells wouldn't hit, but that's distracting while shooting the shotgun, and feels awkward. In the future, while shooting it, I'll wear a wristband, or gloves to prevent the problem. Minor issues in my opinion.

I ordered a set of Magpul MBUS II sights, a hand stop for the business end of the pump, a barrel lug wrench, and a side rail to mount a light or whatever. That stuff should be here this afternoon, so I'll probably go back to the range and sight it in.

Must.Get.One.Now........ lol

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

It kicks!

Must.Get.One.Now........ lol

Do it! You won't regret it!

Buying one gives you a really satisfying feeling that you're fighting the anti-2nd Amendment crowd, too, because they love to hate guns like this!

Originally Posted By: totegoat
How do you do at trap with it?

Haven't tried yet (just got it last week), but I really want to. Matter of fact I've only fired it at my indoor range. This think is begging me to take it plinking - some good ole Hickok45 style action - 2 liters, water buckets, old propane tanks, cinderblocks and the like.

And definitely some longer range action, since that's really what I like to do, is see what I can hit, from how far. Also pretty pointless to try to sight it in on a 50-ft. indoor range. (I got the Magpul MBUS pop-up sights.)

Need to look around for an outdoor range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back