Noisy lifter in 02 Montero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 02 Montero that makes clatter noise when cold at start=up that goes away after a few minutes and warming up. I believe it may be lifters. Currently using Penzoil Platinum and have used Ultra in the past. I have been using 5W30. Would another brand or weight of oil help this out? IT seems to run fine but I am wondering if the noise is causing any damage.

If that engine is anything like my 3000GT's engine,it hated synth oil. Did the same exact thing,was noisy on synth! Run your fave conventional 5w/10w30 oil and see if the noise goes away,mine did.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
makes clatter noise when cold at start=up that goes away after a few minutes and warming up.

Mine did this verbatim. Started as soon as I put synth oil in it. Conventional oil made it go away and never returned.

The noise isn't causing any damage its more of an annoyance than anything.
Some of the lifters are bleeding down overnight, its common with these. You can replace them cheap enough if it really bothers you. I wouldn't worry about it, the PP is doing a good job i would not go to a conventional for this.

Edit: As someone posted it could also be piston slap but its hard to say without hearing it.
Again not dangerous if it goes away after a few min.

Last edited:
Trav is correct.

Mitsubishi is also synonymous with noisey valvetrains and it's prudent to just ignore the sound and save your money for a higher quality replacement vehicle.

What motor? My 170K mile 04 Escape Duratec 3.0L has the same issue - but only as soon as I put in full synthetic Mobil 1.

The lifter tick only happens after sitting all day or night, and only exists until "warmed up".

My engine seems to like Castrol Hi-Mileage and Motorcraft the best - the engine quiets down as soon as it comes down to idle from the starting overshoot to 1200 rpm. MC FL-820S filters and 5W/30 viscosity in all cases.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Trav is correct.

Mitsubishi is also synonymous with noisey valvetrains and it's prudent to just ignore the sound and save your money for a higher quality replacement vehicle.

Yup. That's why I got 250,000+ original miles on mine on the original engine and transmission. Quiet as a church mouse too.

To the OP - I assume you have a 6G74. Though my own experiences, I've found Pennzoil products to be a bit on the lighter side, which may cause some HLA noise. Nothing to worry over, but if it does bother you - drive until the oil reaches operating temperature. Over the course of exactly 15 seconds, slowly build up the revs to 3,000 rpm and drop it. Let it idle for an additional 15 seconds. Usually on your third/forth attempt the noise will go away. The other alternative is this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back