M1 0w40's equal in other weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which oils in 0w/5w30 carry the "prestige" that M1 0w40 holds? In May, it will be a year since I changed the oil and have only driven about 4k to date. I thought I'd give the 0w40 a try, but Toyota does call for a 5w30. I haven't had any issues with the 0w40, but I just got to wondering what oils could be compared.

Thanks!

M1 0w30 is actually highly regarded, almost as much as the 0w40. There is also the GC/BC 0w30.

The major difference is that the M1 0w30 is the lighter A5/B5 (HTHS 3.0, Kinematic around 11 cst) whereas the Castrol is the heavier A3/B4 (HTHS 3.5, kinematic around 12 cst)

None. ( edit... Castrol Syntec 0w30...) Any 5w30 Api certified resource conserving oil is a watered down wanna be... they must pass a fuel economy test, so tend to be thin, and certain anti-wear additives are capped at a lower max than thicker oils. 40 grades are not subject to the same limitations that 20 and 30 grades are...

Just use the M1 0w40... it is on the thin side of a 40 grade anyway...

Or if it has to be a 30 grade, try a diesel spec synthetic... Delo 5w30, Amsoil HDD 5w30 etc...

Or, use a high mileage oil... those that are NOT api certified are often higher in various anti-wear ingredients, and tend to be at the thickest part of the 30 grade as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
M1 0w30 is actually highly regarded, almost as much as the 0w40. There is also the GC/BC 0w30.

The major difference is that the M1 0w30 is the lighter A5/B5 (HTHS 3.0, Kinematic around 11 cst) whereas the Castrol is the heavier A3/B4 (HTHS 3.5, kinematic around 12 cst)

Exactly what I was going to say. M1 0w-30 is very good, but if I had to pick one it'd be GC 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Regular Mobil 1 5w30 would be perfect for your application.

+1

Especially with all the short trips that only amount to 4,000 miles per year.

There is no oil that carries as wide a variety of approvals as Mobil 1 0w-40.

The closest I can think of is Shell Rotella T6, but that's in a similar grade.

Mobil 1 5w-30 is probably a good call.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
There is no oil that carries as wide a variety of approvals as Mobil 1 0w-40.

The closest I can think of is Shell Rotella T6, but that's in a similar grade.

Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 and Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 both have very lengthy approval lists on their data sheets.

Lengthy yes, but comparably varied?

Mobil 1 0w-40 has the necessary approvals for... pretty much any gas-powered car that can take an xw-40, from totally mainstream cars to top-end sports cars, with and without forced induction, plus many diesels. Seems tough to match.

Well, I suppose that depends upon one's point of view. They don't have the ACEA B specs, simply because they've got the E specs and the CJ-4 for API (along with SM and SN as the case may be). They have the necessary approvals for pretty much any diesel powered truck that can take an Xw-40, with and without forced induction, plus the necessary specs for several gassers.
wink.gif

I do note your point, though. An A3/B3 A3/B4 type lube can cover a huge amount of bases, not to mention the builder approvals that are based upon that.

If I was living in Arizona (not sure if there is a thriving IT industry there...anyways) I would be using M1 0W40 across the board for most cars in my fleet and have them on yearly oci's. Given oil is so cheap in states especially on sales (as compared to up here in the Her Majesty's Dominion), my friend just pickup M1 5W30 EP or Castrol 5W30 Gold (these 2 oils are brand leaders for extended OCI's in retail market) & Napa Platinum oil filter and you are set for 12 months for sure!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Lengthy yes, but comparably varied?

Mobil 1 0w-40 has the necessary approvals for... pretty much any gas-powered car that can take an xw-40, from totally mainstream cars to top-end sports cars, with and without forced induction, plus many diesels. Seems tough to match.

Any reason I wouldn't want to run it in my '08 Jeep 3.8?

M1 0-20AFE is an outstanding 20wt oil. From my experience using it, I really don't see how I could find a better 20wt, not that I am looking.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-20AFE is an outstanding 20wt oil. From my experience using it, I really don't see how I could find a better 20wt, not that I am looking.

M1 0W20 EP

Originally Posted By: dgunay

M1 0W20 EP

Since I only do 10K OCIs I doubt that EP would increase the life of my engines. I have used AFE for several years now and both Duratechs are like new clean, and show no sign of wear.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

M1 0W20 EP

Since I only do 10K OCIs I doubt that EP would increase the life of my engines. I have used AFE for several years now and both Duratechs are like new clean, and show no sign of wear.

No, but it may be a better "bargain" simply due to having about twice the amount of (expensive) PAO in it. I wish I could get it up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back