Oil recomendation volvo t6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancée just bought a 2005 Volvo XC90 t6 car, it has 140 thousand miles on it, this is a twin turbo charged 2.9 6 cylinder engine, it has Napa synthetic 5w-30 in it right now with 1500 miles on the Napa synthetic oil.
I live in idaho where winter is the longest season of the year, it can get as cold has 30 below zero here.
Summer time average temp is mid 80s but it can sometimes get to 100 plus degrees here.
I'm wanting to run a good synthetic that's readily available and some what affordable.
I was thinking about trying mobil 1 0w-40, since this is a turn charged engine, would this oil be to thick for this engine? I have heard the mobil 1 0w-40 is a thinner 40 weight oi.
Main reason I want to run mobil 1 0w-40 is because that's what I run in my truck and it would make it easier to keep one oil in my garage that both my engines can use. If the 0w-40 is too thick I figured I'd run the mobil 1 0w-30 or valvoline synpower 5w-30 or maybe even the valvoline full synthetic max life engine oil. Not the regular Dino maxlife or synthetic blend maxlife. What do you guys think?

Having once owned a XC-90 T6 I'd be more concerned with the transmission failing. The 0W-40 will be fine, change the tranny fluid early and often, use Dexron VI, there are aftermarket transmission pans that have cooling fins and a drain plug to make the process easier. That all said my XC-90 was the most solid driving & riding vehicle I ever owned.

I would think the M1 0w40 a stellar choice for your vehicle and use. I have admired those XC-90's from afar for quite a while. We had a Volvo when I was a teen and many years later I still notice them!

Right now I'm running Napa synthetic 5w-30, but my next change will be mobil 1 0w-40. And yes I am aware of the transmission issues, I have dropped the pan and changed the filter and re-filled with dexron vi and i added a bottle or red lube gard. And after a few thousand miles I'm going to drop the pan again to drain it more then I will add dexron vi and red lube gard again. The transmission on this xc90 was re-built at 110 thousand miles and it's had nothing but dexron vi ran through it since it was re-built.mthe person I bought it from provided me with the recipt from the transmission shop that re-built it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back