DIY Bedliners??? long term reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had good luck with the Herculiner on my old truck, it didn't come off (I did rough up the bed like it said, this is important).

John

I am doing herculiner on mine this spring,

This is my plan:
1. Prep
2. thin coat - dry
3. thick coats

will this work for OP also?

What is the cost of each of the systems linked above compared to the LineX or Rhino or etc....? Just wondering if it is worth the savings of the DIY to then have the risk of it flaking at some point.

Flipside, the DIY route lets you have complete control over the system and if it give you enjoyment, then by all means, cheaper is cheaper and you are happy.

Kinda like people doing their own oil changes even thou they can get a coupon or etc... for the same cost. It gives them enjoyment.

I would probably have it done if your worrying about flaking. Its a ton of prep (and time is money,lol)work and like the guys said...many light coats. We did some trucks the diy method and they all have peeled up to some degree.

IMO if you are going to keep the truck for a decade plus then just pay to have it done professionally.

I have Line-X in my Toyota and it has held up wonderfully for the 4 years its been on the truck. Nice, even coat and no bubbling or gouging. My truck is NOT a work truck though. I haul junk in the bed maybe once a week and usually have a toolbox or two back there so I would say I'm light use.

I saw this one guy with astroturf as a bedliner. It didn't look as tacky as it sounds; it was actually kinda cool imo

IMHO unless you really work the truck just throw in a rubber bed mat and be done with it. Who cares if the paint gets beat up a bit its a truck.

That's what I'm going to do with my next work truck unless the dealer throws a spray in liner for free.

I used Herculiner in my truck bed about 8 years ago and it is still holding up very well. I did use a wire wheel to scuff up the paint in the bed before rolling on the herculiner. I just used the kit that came with 1 gallon of bedliner. I was able to get a decent thickness layed down. Although over the years I do have some spots that look a little bare but they still have good bedliner grip. I could actually put a box in the middle of the truck bed and drive around and it wont move. I could do that when I first did it and I can still do it now surprisingly enough. lol.

All I can say is PREP PREP PREP!

Lastly dont get it on yourself because it is terrible to remove from your skin.

I have Herculiner in the back of the old van. It has held up over a year. My only complaint is that it's hideously ugly.

I prefer the look of the Dupli-Color bedliner I used on the Bug's running boards. Can't say that's it's any tougher, though.

I did my Frontier with herculiner about 5 years ago. Its held up pretty well. I think I should have done a 3rd coat instead of just 2. There were a couple of spots that have gotten a little thin. I just sprayed some dupli-color bed armor over the thin spots.

Just for conversation's sake, what is the cost involved in the DIY bedliner? I was able to get a over-rail drop-in plastic bedliner (Pendaliner) for around $215 installed just last month. Only prep I had to do was sweep out the bed.

Originally Posted by EvanD
Considering a DIY bedliner.

This one looks like it has the best reviews.
http://www.monstaliner.com/
or this
http://www.herculiner.com/index.php

Anyone have any reviews? The good bad and ugly of DIY bedliners? I plan on keeping this truck for another 10 years or until it starts rusting thru body and frame.

It was difficult question fom me until the moment i read these articles:

https://reviewsdone.com/best-diy-bedliner-do-it-yourself/
https://4wdlife.com/best-diy-truck-bedliners

After it I chose Herculiner. Articles relevant for 2018.

Had drop in last truck and new truck has Rhino sprayed in … both are too slick and I wind up putting a horse mat in the middle to create both grip and edges to butt against …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back