fluid to possibly reduce noise in the focus manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 focus has an annoying clatter noise when sitting in neutral foot off the clutch. As soon as you push the clutch the noise goes away. The noise doesn't seem to hurt anything but it sounds like [censored]. I haven't noticed any other stick shift focuses that have come in making that noise but keep in mind we've only had maybe 5 come in for service not for the transmission but for oil changes and what not. I thought maybe changing the fluid could help? I've heard the noise is somewhat common to in which maybe a fluid could at least quiet it some and it wouldn't be so annoying. It's under warranty and yes I could have it looked at but I know if they tear in to it or even if I was the tech that got it it would sit on a lift for a week or better waiting for parts and approval because ford is so weird about warranty work you have to jump through hoops to get stuff done. So easy for me to do is try a different fluid. What should I use?

Every standard tranny vehicle I've ever owned or driven has done that. I wouldn't try a non-spec fluid,that's for sure. Wonder what the factory fill is?

I also have a 2014 Focus with a 5spd. manual and fortunately I don't have that 'clatter'.
The OE MTF has a very low viscosity and something slightly thicker may help...Torco MTF is a GL-4 fluid that fits that criteria.

Your input shaft bearing might be worn out already. I replaced a few when I was a Honda mechanic. I wouldn't try any fluid unless it's approved or meets Fords warranty requirements.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I'd get it fixed under warranty rather than put an unapproved fluid in it and possibly void the warranty.

+1

I have four stick shift cars currently from three manufacturers and none do this. Either something is wrong, or this is a solution in search of a problem and it's time to move on.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I also have a 2014 Focus with a 5spd. manual and fortunately I don't have that 'clatter'.
The OE MTF has a very low viscosity and something slightly thicker may help...Torco MTF is a GL-4 fluid that fits that criteria.

What I've read is its gear rollover and is normal for this transmission. But not being certain makes you nervous to let it go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back