Used '04 F-450 w/ 6.0 PSD - Good idea or disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two most common vehicles I push into the Ford dealer i work at. The 6.0 trucks and the 6.4 trucks after that then it's the newer 6.7 diesels and the once in awhile an f150. Usually they are older have miles ect. The diesels are junk.

14k for that truck is about 5k over what its worth, but 220k speaks volumes on its reliability. budget another 10k on the side for the inevitable.

I just traded my '07 in a few months ago with 211,000 mi., trouble-free. Yes there were problem 6.0's, some right out of the dealership, but most issues can be attributed to power increases from "tuners".

Since its an '04 there is a good possibility that it has the round egr cooler, its bulletproof. The first thing that should be done is make sure it has the most current computer revision from Ford, and while its there have them test the FICM.

For oil I used 10w-30, year around for the last 130,000 mi. at 7,500 mi. intervals(I also have an older 7.3 IDI that also gets 10w-30). Synthetic oil is not needed for longevity for the engine or injectors. Fuel filter interval per owners manual is 15,000 mi., be absolutely sure that ONLY Motorcraft/Racor filters are used and that the oil filter cap is Motorcraft.
Racor holds the patent on the design and aftermarket filters have caused catostrophic damage to the 6.0, one aftermarket answer was to sell a new cap with a slightly different sized filter, when a new owner puts a Motorcraft filter with the incorrect cap the anti-drainback valve cannot function.

My 350 was used as you are describing this 450 to be used, don't fear using 10w-30 for heavy usage.

I watched five 6.0's turn two companies from all-Ford fleets to what are becoming NO-Ford fleets. All were 100% stock (in fact, three were DETUNED van engines), and all were disasters.

One of the vans was dumped, the others are still in service...despite the sputtering, smoking, CEL's on, and various random problems, they are sort of OK for local stuff. (Though their first 2 years, the three had more downtime than all the 7.3 PSD buses-about fourteen-had COMBINED.) The company hasn't bought a diesel Econoline since, and their last three shuttles were GMC's.

Two were F-450 wreckers, and both were catastrophes. Both eventually got repowered with Cummins 5.9's and are still in service. Hasn't bought a diesel Ford since...bought one gas hoist truck a while back...last three wreckers were two Rams and a Hino. He refuses to give up his 1998 F450 hoist (7.3, close to 450,000 miles) or his 2001 F550 repo truck (gas V10, about 620K), but swears he will never buy another Ford.

I can't imagine any company making money would waste $14k on an ancient truck with spaceship mileage that they cannot write off.

Why did the owner not buy a 2014 in December?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I can't imagine any company making money would waste $14k on an ancient truck with spaceship mileage that they cannot write off.

Why did the owner not buy a 2014 in December?

Likely the rest of the fleet is on a per-mile basis instead of a depreciation basis given the stated age. If they started out with older equipment that they wrote off the mileage since they couldn't depreciate it, it makes sense to keep buying older equipment instead of new.

Depreciation isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially since the total miles traveled by the fleet will likely exceed the allowed depreciation on the single new unit the first year, and will definitely exceed the pittance that's allowed in years 2-5.

That's what my old boss did...he keeps trucks a LONG time (still running 1979 IH and 1987 GMC wreckers) & realized a long time ago that keeping what you have maintained is a lot cheaper than buying new trucks every few years.

This is a two year old company that's growing, and we have a lot of other priorities than brand new trucks. The current fleet was inherited from another steel fabricator when they closed shop. Those trucks were bought new (first gen V10 super duties) and have rather low mileage (100-160k). We didn't need a new truck until one of our others was totaled earlier THIS year, hence it couldn't be a write off for last year.

I know a new truck was priced out, but I'm told they're 45-50k new for a F-450 diesel. Let's just say the owner is not the sharpest of the bunch when it comes to shopping for vehicles. I'm sure that half the reason we paid so much for this one was the bind we were in. Inexpensive F-450 flatbeds (large enough to hold our welders and equipment comfortably) aren't exactly growing on trees around here. I'm sure all Dodges and Chevys were disregarded from the get go, further narrowing the list of possibilities.

I will stress the importance of frequent oil changes and fuel filters. How does one tell if we have an OEM oil filter cap? Any easy way to locate the EGR cooler and tell if it's the round one?

So far our older fleet has been largely trouble free. We just put about $750 into our '95 GMC K3500 delivery truck on a new brake booster (hydro-boost), oil cooler lines, and a few other things. That truck only has 90k miles, and it's been about the most expensive vehicle repair we've had in a couple years (other than tires).

The 6.0 has its issues, but if you do the fixes either pre-emptively or as the issues happen, you can keep them from ever happening again and you're left with a pretty solid truck. They're pretty nice engines when they're working properly, and the ZF6 definitely makes it a lot more fun.

I am pretty sure the EGR coolers were changed late '04 model year to the square style (more prone to failure). Most likely yours is the round style, they don't fail as its the same one offered in a bulletproof set-up.

http://www.60powerstrokeoilfilter.com/?page_id=17

The above link explains the difference in the caps.

With this truck as high of mileage as stated there shouldn't be a need to worry a lot about 6.0 "failures" as if something were to break it would have a long time ago.

Since you don't know the previous maintainence history injectors could become an issue, no different than any other diesel with this many miles. The HEUI injectors live a much easier life with 10w-30 or 5w-40. As I stated earlier get the FICM checked and ensure the batteries are always fully charged and in good condition as they keep the FICM healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back