2010 Nissan Altima 5 years old

Avg age is 11.4

How long have we had each:

1999 Grand Marquis - less than six months
2002 Camry - 13 years
2003 Protege5 4 years
2003 Corolla 2 years
2010 Altima 5 years

Altima and Camry were purchased new, making an average age of 9 years for the new cars.

The remaining three is about two years in our hands and increasing every day.

FWIW

I like older cars. I have a 22 year old daily driver that's very reliable and cost per mile is stupid-low. I hardly ever have to do any repairs to it. And if I do, I repair it myself, because it's my favorite hobby. So it's not like I'd rather be spending my time doing something else. I have no desire to have the latest car. I actually hope I never have to buy one. I really want to keep my current cars forever and never get anything else.

I've driven many new cars.

I don't like them.

Or at least I don't like most of them as much as my current car.

It's hard to admit for a habitual GM basher like me that I initially liked the 2.0T Malibu. Good power, cool curvy dash, seats were pretty good....then I had to turn:
"ARRRGGHHH! They put the 2006 Malibu EPS in it!"
It was a dead, numb wheel. Like the steering wheel on the Pole Position video game. It sticks just fine. Probably can generate as much/more grip as my 10 year old Mazda, but it feels bad.

Camry was overpriced and kinda'
21.gif
meh in anything less than V6.

Altima was overpriced and has the grabbiest brakes.

Accord was overpriced....hideously overpriced. Great if you are buying new I guess.

I did like the Volkswagen CC. 2.0T was actually in our price range Handling was what I would expect from a German car. Wheel felt good. It was good at everything but the wife's first car was a Rabbit and she vowed to never own another Volkswagen.

My real problem with the CC is that I already have that driving experience - and the utility of having a hatchback. I have a midsize Golf already. I'll just keep my money in my pocket until the Mazda becomes financially unsound or unsafe to drive

Besides, trade in value on a 170,000+ mi Mazda with a ding on the roof from a foul ball batted over the backstop and another ding on the hatch from a shopping cart is virtually nothing

I'll drive 'em until they are no longer reliable. I'm targeting 400k miles. Over half way there with both of my cars.

I've never owned anything that was newer than ten years old or had less than 125,000 miles. My current ride is close to 12 years old and has 232,000 on the clock today. I have no interest in selling it, as it has many features I find useful. Four wheel drive makes junkyard parts runs a snap, and it got me to work and back safely through the snow last week. Quad cab is handy for oil, tool, and supply storage/transport. Dakotas are generally very good pickups with years of service and mileage on them when they're retired. I plan on driving it as long as it keeps running. It'll make a nice yard ornament if it dies.

I have been leasing cars for three years at a time. I am going to stop the madness, and purchase my 2015 Mazda3 at lease-end.

There have been cars that I was glad to turn-in after a few short years, ones that I would have liked to have turned-in sooner, and ones that I should have kept forever.

My 10 year old Grand Caravan with 184k miles on it will be going away tomorrow. It is being traded for a 1991 Chevy Silverado WT with 85k on the odometer. Barring the trade, I had planned to drive it until it croaked. More than likely, it will go to someone from the reservation nearby where it will probably see three or four more years of use and another 100k miles.

--1997 Tbird - bought used with 72k in 2002, sold at 172k - kept for 12 yrs
--2003 Elantra - bought new in 2003, now 217k, still a DD/spare/beater at 13 yrs
--2005 BMW 330Ci - bought used in 2010 with 12k, now 47k, still own at 5 yrs
--2014 Mazda6 - bought new in 2013, now 35k, still own at 2 yrs

We've had the Tracker since new, so almost 12 years now. It going to be replaced in 1 or 2 years with a bigger family/toy hauler SUV.
The Focus I've had for 2 years, but I think it will get sold soon after Tracker as we won't need its family hauling capabilities anymore. It will be the first car we haven't driven until its a sub $2k beater or to the scrap heap.

I typically keep my vehicles for a long time. Here is the breakdown.

1970 Monte Carlo- Bought in 1987 and still own. No idea on how many miles since it's had a few engines.
1998 Chevrolet K1500. Bought new in 1998 and still have with 129,000 miles on it.
1998 Chevrolet K3500. Bought used in 2007 with 94,000 miles and still have with 106,000 miles
1992 Cavalier RS. Bought used in 2006 with 76,000 miles and still have with 206,000 miles.
1992 Cavalier LS. Was given to me in 2005 with a blown engine. Had a junkyard engine installed and still have it and probably put over 150,000 miles on it.
2014 Mustang GT. Bought it new in 2013 and still have it with 11,400 miles on it.

They are all paid for except for the Mustang.

Wayne

Well, mom just sold her 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee at ~166,000 miles.
It had several electrical problems, and it was eventually diagnosed with a failed wiring harness.

Man! Are we a bunch of tightwads or what?

Still, once you come to the realization that depreciation is a real and for many of us, our largest expense even though its not cash, you start behaving this way.

Our Explorer has 200,000 miles currently,and will be purchasing most likely a Ford Edge later this year.

Our Crown Victoria,has almost 300,000 miles and will be replaced this year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back