Engine Masters Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What i found most interesting is the number of competitors using 5w20

Engine Masters Challenge

Some of these are dedicated dyno mules, but others are engines that see time on the road.

I was not expecting to see many people using 5w20 at these power levels.

Last edited:
Not to say anything against 5w20, but if it's only to live long enough for some dyno pulls, does it really matter? Might as well put the thinnest stuff Amsoil offers in.

As you said, a lot of these are just dyno mules that are strictly running advertisements.

as best i know, the competition is a 35 minute dyno session where the competitors are allowed to make as many dyno pulls as they can/want to.

most competitors will pull the engine to redline, change some parameter hoping to pick up a couple numbers and repeat.

while i don't know how many pulls one can make in 35 minutes, i'd have to imagine that repeatedly pulling the engine to redline on a dyno isn't the easiest thing on oil; unlike drag racing where one makes one pass (less than 10 sec. at these power levels), and lets things cool down.

i wonder how many drag racers would run 5w20 in their 700hp drag car...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
Potent combinations all. I'd love to haul the mail behind any of 'em.

John Kaase’s Ford 409ci engine pumped out 721 horsepower/675 lb-ft of torque last year.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/jon-kaase-racing-wins-amsoil-engine-masters-with-409ci-ford/

for what it's worth, they lowered the RPM from 7,000 RPM to 6,500 RPM this year, which lowered the peak numbers for this year.

the 433ci FE Ford that made 711hp last year only made 636hp this year due to the smaller cam required to stay in the allowed rpm limit.

Originally Posted By: meborder
as best i know, the competition is a 35 minute dyno session where the competitors are allowed to make as many dyno pulls as they can/want to.

most competitors will pull the engine to redline, change some parameter hoping to pick up a couple numbers and repeat.

while i don't know how many pulls one can make in 35 minutes, i'd have to imagine that repeatedly pulling the engine to redline on a dyno isn't the easiest thing on oil; unlike drag racing where one makes one pass (less than 10 sec. at these power levels), and lets things cool down.

But we're still talking about something that only has to live for 35 minutes. That's nothing.

Again, not saying anything bad about 5w20 but I'm just saying, it doesn't matter.

Exactly! You won't find any 5w20 water in any race engine anywhere that I know of... thin stuff is only used for qualifying or all out max HP pulls on the dyno

Originally Posted By: racer12306

But we're still talking about something that only has to live for 35 minutes. That's nothing.

Again, not saying anything bad about 5w20 but I'm just saying, it doesn't matter.

i think that's an overstatement of the facts.

these engines sometimes have hundreds of pulls on them before the competition.

i think if they were "used up" at the end of the dyno session, as you are implying, they would be running the risk of loosing horsepower before their 35 minutes was up.

i think to say that the selection of 5w20 means nothing is an overstatement. the 599 ci ford made almost 1000 hp at 6500 rpm using 5w20 oil, to me that says something about the film strength and lubricity available even with what would be considered a "thin" oil for this application.

granted, the selection is being made to maximize HP on the dyno. makes one wonder if amsoil made a 0w16, if any of the competitors would use it.

i just found it interesting, that's all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

Exactly! You won't find any 5w20 water in any race engine anywhere that I know of... thin stuff is only used for qualifying or all out max HP pulls on the dyno

I thought that some of the NHRA/IHRA Pro Stockers were using oils at least labelled as xW-20 weights?
21.gif

Now whether or not they actually have HTHSVs of an API 20 weight or not is a whole other question (and they do not have to worry about NITROmehthane fuel dilution like the top fuel peeps do, or even quite as much fuel dilution period as those clasees).

Of course this is 1/4 mile racing, and IF you are talking about;
road/endurance/roundy-round, or rallying, then I could not agree with you more.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back