is maxlife ATF really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an initial D&F and a filter change with what is to be believed the factory fill ATF, Pentosin ATF1, on the ZF trans in my Audi. Prior to the D&F, there was a noticeable torque converter shudder on every 2-3 upshift. After the D&F, the shudder was still there. The original fluid was first touched around 75k miles.

The second D&F and filter change I did with Maxlife at 90k miles. The annoying shudder that I thought would just be a normal part of the unit's operation went away in 2 days. I have no idea why the fluid made such a difference, but it did.

Since then, I have run the 50/50 mix of Maxlife and ATF1 for 45k miles and at that point I did another D&F with Wolf's Head Multi Vehicle ATF. The shudder was back within 2 months of the change. I will soon be doing another D&F with Maxlife again (maybe 2 if needed) to again get rid of the shudder.

No concrete evidence that it was the fluid that made the difference, but the circumstantial evidence is sure compelling.

You were smart to do another D & F with MaxLife ATF again. Looks like the Wolf raised it's ugly head and bit you.

Recommend folks use proven name-brand fluids and stay away from stuff like "Wolf's Head Multi Vehicle ATF".

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I will tell you otherwise because you are wrong. From the original thread (which I linked to this thread):

"I was driving the van. I merged from one freeway to another. All seemed well. When I went to accelerate back up to speed, it was like driving a manual and pushing the clutch in while still on the accelerator. I let off the pedal and re-applied. Nothing but RPM. I exited the freeway, pulled over and checked the fluid. It was almost black and had that nauseating burnt smell. I nursed it back home - slowly. I lost third and overdrive."

I did not have the original transmission torn down because it was cheaper and faster to just install a remanufactured transmission. That information is also in the original thread.

So convince yourself into whatever you want.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'm not convinced you did that. You continued to drive and beat on a transmission that obviously had a problem and burned it up. Don't tell me otherwise as I remember your writeup.

Why didn't you get a failure diagnosis from the rebuilder?

It just doesn't add up. And you don't have to be a gearhead or mechanic to feel this way. You were able to burn the fluid within a few miles on a test drive and had no clue it was slipping? It started revving between gears and you continued to drive it instead of calling a tow? And then you want to blame it all on the fluid?

I have had positive experiences with maxlife ATF. I have had it in my kia since 60k. Zero issues. I put it in my moms sonata. Both call for spiii. Positive results in both. Just put it in my Xterra this weekend. Shifts great, it calls for nissan matic j.
I personally have had nothing but positive results from it. When that changes I will post that. For the price I feel it is a high quality product. I have no UOAs just personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back