Hypothetical question about engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, let's say you drove out 100 miles from your house, about 60 miles from nowhere. No phone coverage for miles, no friends with you. All of the oil in your engine suddenly disappears, but you have no leak. But lucky you, you just came back from the Costco in the middle of nowhere and you have more than 2 gallons of high temperature (500 degrees f at least) cooking oil. Some sort of vegetable oil, you can choose.

You can't just keep driving, your engine will surely weld itself together within a minute.

Do you pour the vegetable oil in and try to get somewhere with a cell signal fast, or just sit and wait and hope someone will come along a road which has an average of one driver per month?

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I'd do it.
Then I'd eat the entire large bag of snacks while panicking all the way back home.

happy b day buddy!

If you need two gallons of vegetable oil to cook your food, pour it in your engine, you need to walk! LOL!

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I'd do it.
Then I'd eat the entire large bag of snacks while panicking all the way back home.

happy b day buddy!
Just add ten gallons of "MMO" thereafter.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
If you need two gallons of vegetable oil to cook your food, pour it in your engine, you need to walk! LOL!

Or you know, maybe you run a business (like the intended demographic of costco) and you needed more oil for your fryer or you have more than half a brain cell and realize you can buy a lot of something that lasts forever at once for a reduced price.

You forgot the weather and time of year, those are variables to take into account.

If it is life or death you drive, if not you hike.

Last edited:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Your scenario sounds like life or death to me; either save yourself or be saved by someone else.

Cooking oil will get you down the road long enough to get to cell coverage or help.

Cars are replaceable, humans are not.

Relax Scooter, it was joke.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Or you know, maybe you run a business (like the intended demographic of costco) and you needed more oil for your fryer or you have more than half a brain cell and realize you can buy a lot of something that lasts forever at once for a reduced price.

It's only 60 miles. If I walk fast at about 4 miles per hour, it'll take 15 hours to get back to town. Or walk 7 1/2 hours and spend the night camping and walk the other 7 1/2 hours the next day.

I accidently put .6 quarts of used cooking oil in my Caravan and left it there for 4 months. Of course there was 4 quarts of the proper engine oil in there as well. To be truthful, I think it ran quieter with the vegetable oil.

Well I hardly think that quietness is the definitive measure of whether that's a good idea or not. I mean, it might be even quieter with .6 quarts of Hormel chili.

And how do you accidentally put used cooking oil in your engine instead of motor oil? You're an aircraft mechanic, right?

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I accidently put .6 quarts of used cooking oil in my Caravan and left it there for 4 months. Of course there was 4 quarts of the proper engine oil in there as well. To be truthful, I think it ran quieter with the vegetable oil.

oil disappears in 60 miles?! That's some serious hypothetical question you have there.

If my car (properly maintained starting from day-1), I'd stop the car, get help and find a tow-truck to tow it to the nearest town garage and investigate where the "hexk" those oil disappeared in 60miles.

Afterall: I dealt with mosquito fogger before and anything around 1qt per 1000miles would seriously fog up the whole street.

60 mile disappearance must have something to do with leaks, and if you cannot find one, then that's it.

Personally, this hypothetical question doesn't even stand any kind of fundamental scrutiny to begin with, so I'll pass.

Q.

I once came across some guys who'd rolled their car on a remote gravel road, and all the oil had run out while it was upside down. I had some waste oil in the back of my ute, we poured that in and we went our separate ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back