Anyone used or tested Napa 15w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Rotella 15w40 for some time in all my bikes, Harley, CRF450 dirt bike, and road race bikes. I happened to see the new O'Reilly ad with Rotella at $14/gal, and also the Valvoline Premium Blue for $13/gal. Cool, thought maybe I may try some next OCI. Then I saw over at Napa their 15w40 for $10/gal. I did a little digging and what I did manage to find suggests that oil is well regarded but I can't find much in the way of bike UOA's or many direct user accounts or comparisons. I figured if anyone Sunruh would've sampled some but if so I'm not finding it.

What say you?

I have used it and worked fine.

And yes its made by Ashland, same company that owns/makes Valvoline oil. Its written on the napa bottle.
wink.gif

Any idea what the difference is between their two 15w40 oils? Both are CJ-4, one says diesel the other says "diesel and gasoline mixed fuel operator", at $16/gal and $10/gal respectively. Their info on the web site is limited.

I used it for 7 years in an old Ford pickup when it was $24.10 a bucket. When the price went up I started getting the same stuff at Carquest.

It's oil, it meets spec. Weak sauce Valvoline that is just a little bit weaker than the regular Valvoline. All the cars I have used Napa oil in started leaking oil everywhere after years of use. Maybe it caused the leaks, or maybe it didn't, who knows. I called Ashland asking about Napa oils in 1995 and the annoyed engineer that finally took my call said they used the same additive pack as Valvoline. I think he also said it was made from a percentage of recycled oil, but that may have been a rumor I heard while I worked at a Napa store. I used Napa oil almost exclusively for 12 years, they were great except for the leaking. I don't see myself using them ever again.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
I thought all Napa oil is/was re-bottled Valvoline, I'm I wrong ?

Yes it is from Ashland Inc. which is the parent company of Valvoline...however VOA's that I have seen on a few of their products indicate that Valvoline and Napa oils use a different additive package so I wouldn't go so far as to call it "re-bottled Valvoline".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back