Nostalgic, where does crude come from commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cute, but there was no truth to it. Helped start the whole, "We're going to run out of oil", craze.

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
Cute, but there was no truth to it. Helped start the whole, "We're going to run out of oil", craze.

So... where did it come from?

robert

there is the abiotic oil formation theory. the russians have used it very successfully to become one of the world's largest producer of crude oil. they have passed the USA and quite possibly the saudi's too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robertcope
Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd

So... where did it come from?

robert

Sperm Whales

They want you to think it comes from dinosaurs so you think it will "run out". This keeps profits high.

"Running out of oil" is like saying we are running out of rain. Modern thinking people understand the carbon cycle.

Wow, crude like "rain" hilarious its amazing what some people believe.
Can you explain the abiotic production of organic hydrocarbons please.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
They want you to think it comes from dinosaurs so you think it will "run out". This keeps profits high.

"Running out of oil" is like saying we are running out of rain. Modern thinking people understand the carbon cycle.

Until you can prove that the kinetics of formation are as fast or faster than the consumption rate, your point is practically irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure oil comes from a magical land where little elves work day and night to make the stuff. I can't go into production details because it is a closely guarded secret.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Until you can prove that the kinetics of formation are as fast or faster than the consumption rate, your point is practically irrelevant.

'zackerly...
the side claiming limitless supplies know nothing of the rate of formation.

And never answer how coal is clearly plant based.

I'm living in an area which has multiple coal seams, the process has happened many, many times over the formation of this region...some are 6', some are 6", some are black sandstone.

There's other deposits in the country that haven't baked yet, and while being mined are coming out with tree stumps.

Yes, coal is being made somewhere, even at this point, but we are clearly consuming faster than it's being formed...and clearly it's origin is plant based.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Boy... this was meant to be a fun post. Sheeesh.

Oh, it is fun
smile.gif
Also, posting the commercial. I was born in '77, fun to see what the world was like back then!

robert

Yeah, i was 6 or 7 at the time and playing with all my little plastic dinosaur figures. I loved seeing them move in this animated Chevron add.

Are you sure they were tree stumps and not dinosaur limbs?

The Navy is going to make jet fuel from "sea water" on their nuclear aircraft carriers (google it). They didn't mention dinosaur feed stock so I gotta assume they are lying.

That "Oil is Rotting Dinosaurs" stuff started in the late 1800s.

Crude oil is consumed at 15 billion liters per day. 15 billion liter cylinder is about 10 house lots in diameter and 10 house lots tall...A tiny amount compared to earth surface and sun energy.

Crude oil is consumed at 15 billion liters per day. 15 billion liter cylinder is about 10 house lots in diameter and 10 house lots tall...A tiny amount compared to earth surface and sun energy.

Tiny...'cept you have to find one of them a day for every day you plan on doing it.

Assuming it's instantly replaced by surface area and sun (so you agree that it's largely of biologic origin), that's a patch of land, at 100% efficiency of 25 miles squared...converting all of the suns energy that hits that land into oil...at 100% efficiency.

You would think that all that land producing all of that oil would have been noticed by now

There is no doubt oceans of crude under the ocean floor (quadrillions of barrels) which is really difficult to get at with insane mantle pressure (Just ask BP...I am surprised that they actually got that hole plugged as fast as they did) There is probably quadrillions of barrels in Antarctica.

H2O + CO2 + Energy will make a hydrocarbon. The ocean contains about 6% CO2 and the atmosphere contains 0.04% CO2 (CO2 is heavy)...Barely enough for earth's plant life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

'zackerly...
the side claiming limitless supplies know nothing of the rate of formation.

And never answer how coal is clearly plant based.

I'm living in an area which has multiple coal seams, the process has happened many, many times over the formation of this region...some are 6', some are 6", some are black sandstone.

There's other deposits in the country that haven't baked yet, and while being mined are coming out with tree stumps.

Yes, coal is being made somewhere, even at this point, but we are clearly consuming faster than it's being formed...and clearly it's origin is plant based.

There is a peat bog just north of me. It's farm ground now. But I use to get pickup truck loads for soil amendments 30 years ago. One load had a chunk that was right at the peat/coal formation layer. It was really interesting. And they did use to do quite a bit of strip mining in the area for coal back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back