Cold flow: 5w30 dino vs. 10w30 syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since PQIA only seems to have the 5w30 weights, I am having a heck of a time finding an answer.

Is there a synthetic/ blend 10w30 out there that has just as good as or better "cold flow" properties than a 5w30 conventional?

Being in Indiana, I dont see anything much lower than -10*F and that is pretty rare. I know the general consensus is 10w30 for 0*F and above and 5w30 for anything below..

Are the differences in viscosity even enough to make a difference at these temps?

Mobil has a good website. What are the differences between M1 10W-30 and Super 5W-30?

Take a look at Redline 0W-20. I've seriously considered using that as a winter fill in my 30-grade app. But I don't think that is the direction you were thinking of going.

Delo LE 5W-30 is a heavy for grade oil.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Why even bother with 10w30? Just run a 5w30 or 0w30.

Shearing purposes.

I would guess that Mobil 1 10w30 would flow at least as good if not better than most 5w30 dinos.

PS: I think 'shearing' is less of a problem with current 5w30's than older (SJ, SL ) versions. I doubt you'd ever have an issue using an SN or SM rated 5w30.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Why even bother with 10w30? Just run a 5w30 or 0w30.

Shearing purposes.

Not an issue at all with the better oils, even in 0wXX. Look at UOAs on M1 0w20 and 0w30, MC syn blend, etc. Still in spec after hard use.

Personally, I've started avoiding 10w30 because its essentially obsolete, and based on some of the UOA numbers that turn up it looks like the blenders are using it as a way to get rid of lesser base stocks while using the better stuff in the 5w and 0w30s.

The vehicle in question is my Jeep 4.0. They seem to be one of the few engines that "prefer" a 10w over a 5w when the OCI is stretched beyond 3k.

I have no issue running a 5w30, but I would like to squeeze that extra 2k out of my oil next winter if I could.

Just being an anal retentive BITOG'r.

*If 10w30 ever does become obsolete, Ill just get a jug of 10w40 and water it down with 5w20.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Winter rating is based of viscosity at temperature, dino will flow better. Use the 10w, jest recently there was a discussion on that. Flow or no the wear numbers are better.

How cold? All 5wXx will be better than any 10w syn or otherwise near/at the gelation point. Otherwize look for a high VI and low KV100 for best ( hopefully) best extrapolated cold flow.

dlundblad, if a 10w30 syn flowed as well or better at low cold temps than a 5w dino it would be a 5w30.

My suggestion for you would be a thick 5w30 instead, like Pennzoil HM or Defy. Both have an HTHS of 3.2+ (which is actually thicker than PYB 10w30 with it's HTHS of 3.1) but both have good enough cold start characteristics to still be a 5w. Obviously the Pennzoil HM still has the great PYB add pack that has been working so well in the Jeep 4.0.

I chose to run regular PYB 5w30 this winter myself but am leaning towards the Pennzoil HM 5w30 next winter.

Personally, I've started avoiding 10w30 because its essentially obsolete, and based on some of the UOA numbers that turn up it looks like the blenders are using it as a way to get rid of lesser base stocks while using the better stuff in the 5w and 0w30s.

Do you have some more information on this? This is the first I've heard of that.
If 10w30 oil is obsolete, what would take it's place? The engine in my Jeep, I6, is said to do best on 1030.

Last edited:
When I got my Grand Cherokee from my mom it was over due for an oil change so I did a change with Defy 10w-30. At -6f it was hard to start, and at -12f it almost didn't start and when it finally did, it really sounded bad and shook a lot until it started to warm up.
I just asked my brother what kind of oil he used in it. He said he usually used bulk Sinclair 5w-30 from his work. He said it runs good and quiet on it and they let him do it in the shop between customers and he even gets a discount on the oil. He said it was too hard to start when the temps got below zero with 10w-30. He tried Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 once and it made so much noise my mom complained and it didn't start any better in the cold, so it got dumped early and he stuck with conventional 5w-30.

It was changed every 3000-3500 miles. It has an oil change reminder that counts down from 3000 miles, and that was easy for her to follow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: niero

Do you have some more information on this? This is the first I've heard of that.
If 10w30 oil is obsolete, what would take it's place? The engine in my Jeep, I6, is said to do best on 1030.

Ive been reading how obsolete it is for years. Yet, i keep seeing quarts and jugs with current date stamps on sale and flying off the shelves. Seen many a UOA too, but none where any clear wear delineation between it and something else can be determined. Also, 10w oils usually have lower NOACK. Not that it makes the overall product 'better', just pointing out a benefit, especially for us who drive in warmer climates.

Last edited:
As far as it being obsolete, I'm not too sure. Are any new cars spec'd for it?

I know some say it can be used as a substitute for 5w30/ 5w20 but that's all I can think of.

Hyundai recommends it as an option for both vehicles in my signature. But if thinner is a necessity, I'd go with the 5w. Whether conventional or synthetic.

Last edited:
My daughters 2015 KIA manual still lists 10w30 as acceptable too.

Truth is 10w30 will work surprisingly well in just about any application a 5w20/5w30 is spec'd for as long as it doesn't get too cold.

Obsolete? 10w40 is living on borrowed time IMO but 10w30 is going to be alive and well for a few decades yet.

Get a bottle of Pennzoil Yellow 5w30 and a bottle of Pennzoil Gold 10w30 and place them in your freezer for 24 hours.....

Maybe try a bottle of Pennzoil Yellow 10w30 as well.

10w30 obsolete? I would say VII'd multi-grade oil is becoming obsolete
smile.gif
Amsoil makes a "natural" 10w30 and I am guessing Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w30 may be "natural" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back