Is Quaker State Full Synthetic on par with others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs look pretty good on it. For $3 a quart after rebate kind of a no brainer for the wife's CX-9. Have been running it for a few years with no complaints. Not sure I feel as comfortable with it in my WRX however.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: zach1900
What's up with this hillbilly Menards place?
LOL-Missourian calling someone/thing a hillbilly!

Do explain, most live in STL, Kansas City, Springfield, or Columbia, MO, I haven't seen hill billies in those cities, at least from my experience.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Even though it is from Shell like PP, it is a different base oil. I would give PP an nod above due to the group III being synthesized from natural gas which puts it on the top of all the group III oils in my book.
... According to the ASTMD5800 volatility test on PQIA, the QSUD shows BETTER performance ( though likely statistically equivalent ) to the PP and, reporting well below 9% which should be a good clue that the QSUD IS in fact using the GTL basestocks. I have not seen a group III mineral crude based product with this low level of volatility. As a further clue, THE CCS cold pump report numbers are similar also.
See my prev post in this threads for both PQIA reports for comparison.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Even though it is from Shell like PP, it is a different base oil. I would give PP an nod above due to the group III being synthesized from natural gas which puts it on the top of all the group III oils in my book.
... According to the ASTMD5800 volatility test on PQIA, the QSUD shows BETTER performance ( though likely statistically equivalent ) to the PP and, reporting well below 9% which should be a good clue that the QSUD IS in fact using the GTL basestocks. I have not seen a group III mineral crude based product with this low level of volatility. As a further clue, THE CCS cold pump report numbers are similar also.

Maybe, but the Shell PDS for QSUD 5w-30 still shows volatility of 12.3%, not the sub 9% PQIA result. The PQIA test occurred around the same time PYB and QSGB also showed very, very low Noack volatility in PQIA tests leading to speculation that Shell was temporarily using excess GTL stocks in other products.

Based on currently-available Shell documents, QSUD is not a GTL-based product and is therefore different than Pennzoil Platinum. So, while QSUD is undoubtedly a fine product, I wouldn't conclude it's quite at the Platinum level, which SOPUS pitches as a a superior and more expensive product.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: meborder
that $20 rebate is only when you sign up for their warranty program.

being as I drive an older car, I cannot signup for the warranty, and thus cannot get the rebate.

Oops. My 1993 Accord shows up as a 2014 Accord. Must have slipped while punching numbers into the keyboard or something
wink.gif

You might need a new keyboard... Maybe a key is stuck or something?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Maybe, but the Shell PDS for QSUD 5w-30 still shows volatility of 12.3%, not the sub 9% PQIA result. The PQIA test occurred around the same time PYB and QSGB also showed very, very low Noack volatility in PQIA tests leading to speculation that Shell was temporarily using excess GTL stocks in other products.

Based on currently-available Shell documents, QSUD is not a GTL-based product and is therefore different than Pennzoil Platinum. So, while QSUD is undoubtedly a fine product, I wouldn't conclude it's quite at the Platinum level, which SOPUS pitches as a a superior and more expensive product.
I know there exist batch to batch differences in product - like vegetables and fruit, but at this ONE PQIA snapshot in time they were THE SAME.

Anyhow, I like current Valvoline 0w20s better. It keeps my TCT unstuck in the Subarus and provide good power and mileage in the Honda.

The Nissan is not liking the Supertech; IDK if its a viscosity issue or overall the package 0r a misformulation or the constant sub freezing temps or the garbage gasoline up here.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I think for 7500K OCI's, QSUD will perform as good as any other oil... .

This.

QSUD is an excellent oil, there's no reason to question it. I would use it with confidence.

quaker state is priced pretty good most of the time and is good oil when the price goes up i use something else. Thats the way it goes. The pennzoil synthetic is too much money when there are other great choices

I'd probably be just as happy with QSUD as I would with PP.
I doubt that there'd be any measurable difference in performance between the two.
Any OTS syn is probably as good as any other OTS syn.
Pricing is more a matter of market positioning than an indicator of product quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back