Copy dvd as a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an extensive dvd collection and I would like to back some of them to my hard drive. Is there any software paid or free that will be able to do this? Thanks

I backed up all of my DVDs to my hard drive, and I did it by creating image files. (.iso) This gives you an exact copy, but it does use a lot of disk space depending on how many gigs each DVD is.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Handbrake will compress the file and make it more manageable. He still needs to break encryption and rip the DVD to his computer. For that I love AnyDVD HD.

yup, I use "DVD43" which is pretty much the same thing.

Some movies are "copy protected" in that you have to pick 1 of 30 potential program streams, all approx 1:40:00 long. Security through annoyingness.

Some movie distributors are hip and include "digital copy".

If you just want to make a 1:1 copy of the DVD and will depend on a media player to decrypt the media in the future, I think you can just take the VIDEO_TS folder from the root of the DVD (presuming it is not also an "enhanced DVD with computer software on it, in which case copy that, too!) to your backup destination. You can generate .iso's to re-burn those DVDs later on. That process escapes me at the moment but is a quick Google search away.

Handbrake is awfully handy in making those files much smaller. Be mindful of your output formats and codecs, though: Some may be patent-encumbered, and others may be obsolete in time. It also may take a wee bit of expertise to maintain the best quality in your rips. There is both an art and science (and possibly some voodoo!) to that.

In a future of streaming 4K a 480i DVD file is going to seem quaint whether or not it's in native MPEG2 or compressed .264.

This would be like arguing about buying "Ghostbusters" on betamax or VHS from Goodwill.

Keep in mind that each DVD will be 4-8.5GB, be prepared with Terabytes of hard drives (for an extensive collection) if you want to get the full disc and not just the main movie.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
In a future of streaming 4K a 480i DVD file is going to seem quaint whether or not it's in native MPEG2 or compressed .264.

For most people, the difference between DVD and HD is not very large, as they don't sit close enough to the screen for it to matter. And 4k makes even less difference, as many movies weren't shot at anything close to that resolution (e.g. many of the early digital movies were shot at 1920x1080, CG animations often as low as 1280x720, and the early digital effects were usually only rendered at around 2k).

The big jump was VHS to DVD, which eliminated the horrible VHS colour bleed, added multiple audio and video tracks, and gave near-instant access to any point in the movie without winding back and forward through the tape. Everything since is just adding an extra layer of icing on the cake (and a whole load of problems, like Bluray players often needing firmware upgrades to support new disks).

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to/ImageName.iso and forget about copy protection.

Use Verbatim media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back