TPMS woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
TPMS has got to be the worst thing ever foisted on me

I get daily updates from my wife

"MY FRONT LEFT TIRE IS DOWN TO 30 AND MY FRONT RIGHT TIRE IS DOWN TO 29!

It's 20° outside. They're going to read a little lower now that they've been outside all day instead of the 50° garage.

That doesn't matter. Each tire is not at the optimum 32psi.

I'm happy that she is not blindly driving around on a tire with 5psi and waiting a week to tell me that her car is "driving funny" But getting the daily, "you need to check my tires" text is getting old.

As someone who has to deal with TPMS at work, I hate it... it's just like a check engine light, most people will drive around with it on for months anyway!

You have a good wife in that respect!!! Better she texts you worried about them then never checked.

yes, TPMS is annoying from that standpoint. consider yourself lucky though - my wife drove 15 miles with the CHECK ENGINE light on and the temp gauge pegged because she was "almost home". it cost me an engine.

Before individual TPMS I had a 4Runner that the computer would tell you a tire was low-not which one.

We were in the middle of the desert when the tire light came on-I checked each tire and one had the "hissing sound" so I changed it. That computer saved me from running flat a $150.00 Michelin Tire.

Nitrogen is a rip off I work at. Dealership that offers it. Overfill tires by 5 psi over door place card spec and it'll be fine

VAG has better solution than TPMS valves...

They have "tweaked" ABS system to that degree...that ABS sensors are checking
revolutions of each tyre (ok that they are doing since 90's too)...

And if you have slightly flat tire...that tire is spinning slightly slower than other 3 tires and therfore ABS system asumes that it needs to be refiled...

Way better than anoying Tpms valves when they get old and run out of battery...or they loose comunication with ECU...and they constantly send you warrning messages onboard for nothing...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

And if you have slightly flat tire...that tire is spinning slightly slower than other 3 tires and therfore ABS system asumes that it needs to be refiled...

Way better than anoying Tpms valves when they get old and run out of battery...or they loose comunication with ECU...and they constantly send you warrning messages onboard for nothing...

If all four tires are similarly flat it won't know or tell you.

However, if all four tires are down three pounds because of cold weather, it's immune to that too, a good thing.

Well I dont know what is written in VAG ECU but probably engineers were thinking about that posibility too......because their "TPMS" is working without problems.....

Probably they wrote some border parameters for that case....

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Solution...Slightly overfill them.

exactly, I don't understand your frustration when the solution is so simple...

OP -- it could be worse. you could have tomcat's wife, who blew up a motor while watching the purty idiot light.
you say that her texts are getting old.then put air in her tires. problem solved.that will stop the nagging texts.or, teach her to do it.
i don't understand why women, in general, can't do something as simple as this.i taught 2 women how to do this.i guess that it's easier to nag the 'ol man.

at any rate, thanks for my morning laugh.who needs 'prone ?

(there should be a term for a nagging text.it shall be called a "next".'gotta love technology, guys. your wife can nag you, and not even be there. this is for the single guys out there).

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

Thats your answer

Originally Posted By: yeti

(there should be a term for a nagging text.it shall be called a "next".'gotta love technology, guys. your wife can nag you, and not even be there. this is for the single guys out there).

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I did.

Now when it gets back up to 70° next week I will get the text: "THE FRONT LEFT IS AT 36psi WHAT DO I DO?

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: yeti

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I did.

Now when it gets back up to 70° next week I will get the text: "THE FRONT LEFT IS AT 36psi WHAT DO I DO?

33.gif

get a new wife.find a woman that won't nag you -- in person, or by "next".good luck with that.
have a good day.

I was at a tire shop with a friend last February (I believe?) and some lady came back in and wanted to return her defective tires because they all dropped to 29 during a cold snap.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

And Toyota got into hot water with the 2nd gen Siennas with AWD and run-flat tires with indirect TPMS since they can't tell a tire that's inflated or in run-flat mode because of the obvious(stiffer, reinforced sidewalls mainly). Honda is now using it on the 9th gen Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back