5w20 verses 5w30 in other countries without cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have all oil grades available in New Zealand, but you've got to pay for the fancy stuff. There is always 15-40 and 20-50 on sale, and people changing their own oil are doing it on the cheap, they will go for the cheap option always. Put 0w20 on sale cheaper than 15-40 and it will fly out the door.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Engines are not the same. For emission purpose and drivibility they are most often tuned different. That doesnt mean they will not run just fine on heavier weight but i call B.S. that they are the same engines.

Same bearing diameters and lengths, same clearances, same pistons and rings, same thermostat operating temperatures...I call B.S. on the B.S.

Different advance curves and injector timing can't possibly change an oil grade requirement.

edit...sorry, the oil cap IS different between the US sold engines and the Australian ones...ours says "oil", or has a picture of an oil can...yours has a grade, and often it's an economy grade

Shannow's logic cannot be refuted.

+1

Originally Posted By: gregk24
The oil of choice for my Accords 2.4 in Germany is 5w30, if I were in Australia it would be 5w30-5w40. Shannow, do you even have 0w20 available over there?

Yep,
can get 5W20 any day at my local supercheap, (a version, the Japanese high shear) TGMO at my Toyota dealer (only for the 86), Subaru have it, Fuchs have had it longer than the Porsche cup, Penrite had a "race" 0W20 (really 0W16), for 5-6 years now.

The OEMs are able to import whole cars to Australia, so were an unusual viscosity of markedly superior performance, I'm sure that they could bring it in, rather than specifying something else.

Like i said i was looking for opinions.. Reason is we rebuilt a honda civic v tech and the owner said he wanted to use 10w30 and i said we rebuilt the engine to original and you should use 5w20 he said his brothers high school automotive teacher said always use 5w30 this went on for 20 minutes and finally i told him if he wanted to listen to someone else if anything happens he can fix it. Then he said he always uses 10w30 and i told him that is why we had to rebuild it at 88,000 miles (probably not the real reason although the bearings were starved of oil)

edit...sorry, the oil cap IS different between the US sold engines and the Australian ones...ours says "oil", or has a picture of an oil can...yours has a grade, and often it's an economy grade

Most Canadian ones are that way, too. Very few caps here list a viscosity, but I have seen exceptions. The F-150 has a placard under the hood about service categories, of all things.

My car calls for 5w30 year round, 0w30 or 0w40 in sustained below freezing temperatures.

I looked at Motul's website, and they called for 0w40 all year round.

So I use 0w40.

Most Honda engines here last a long time also actually in general most engines outlast the car.

Last edited:
Telling him that 10w-30 killed the engine was bad misinformation. Not a good call or business practice. If he wants 10W-30, put it in there. You know it won't hurt the engine, so why lie and say it will?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've never driven a car with 5W-20 in it. Can't imagine the engine being very quiet.

You forgot to plug 10w30 as the quietest, most amazing oil ever!!!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've never driven a car with 5W-20 in it. Can't imagine the engine being very quiet.

I started using M1 5-20 in 1978. My Dodge Slant 6 was very quite and purred like a kitten.

i did not actually lie that could have lead up to it i found out later he also used STP.. Bearing clearances in those motors are tight and the bearings were starves of oil so who knows. My warranty states the oil used should be what it says on the oil cap or in the manual for other information feel free to call or drop by

Originally Posted By: Garak

Most Canadian ones are that way, too. Very few caps here list a viscosity, but I have seen exceptions. The F-150 has a placard under the hood about service categories, of all things.

IIRC the only manufacturers that do not list a grade on the oil cap are, Kia/Hyundai, Nissan and the European makes.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i did not actually lie that could have lead up to it i found out later he also used STP.. Bearing clearances in those motors are tight and the bearings were starves of oil so who knows. My warranty states the oil used should be what it says on the oil cap or in the manual for other information feel free to call or drop by

Whats your address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back