Seeds and Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love seeds, nuts and legumes. I eat most seeds raw, because roasting destroys enzymes. The exception would be pumpkin seeds in the shell which I prefer roasted. Do you guys eat the shells also? I often eat a pumkin and suflower seeds mix. In terms of amino acids, these two seeds complement each other.

Chia seed is also a favorite. I eat them in yogurt, in baked goods, and I make chia fresca. Sometimes I add chia to breadcrumbs when breading cutlets. To the Aztec, chia was as or more valuable than gold.

There isn't a nut I don't like. While I find they taste better roasted, I eat them mostly raw.

hotwheels

I think you're going to live to well over 100.
smile.gif

I LOVE cashews!! I eat them all the time. They're also supposed to boost testosterone (read that in Men's Heath).

I find nutrition fascinating.
Raw nuts are definitely the best. But I'd be interested to see if roasting brings out any other nutrients. There are some vegetables that give less of some nutrients and more of others when prepared certain ways.

I like raw cashews, almonds, walnuts, pecans, Brazil nuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, and peanuts. (Love peanut butter though I've gotten away from it lately.)

Seeds and nuts are an important part of a nutrition plan where you restrict your diet to only food and skip the junk. Actually it can be difficult at times. Good food is expensive in the short run and a screaming good deal in the long run.

Of course you like nuts. You live in the "land of fruits and nuts". - San Francisco
grin.gif

I'm deathly allergic to nuts. My wife told me that when she finally gets tired of me- she's going to grind up some nuts in a casserole. Nothing will show up in my autopsy.
frown.gif
. That's why I want to keep on her good side.

Originally Posted By: Nyati
Of course you like nuts. You live in the "land of fruits and nuts". - San Francisco
grin.gif

I'm deathly allergic to nuts. My wife told me that when she finally gets tired of me- she's going to grind up some nuts in a casserole. Nothing will show up in my autopsy.
frown.gif

well, if it isn't the wife, how do you make it around all the "nuts behind the wheel" (Sorry, I could not miss this :))
i like them roasted, but roasted just right, not burned.
raw, well int depends of the flavor...
i don't like poppy seeds .

I like walnuts, pecans, and almonds very much. I prefer to lightly toast them myself because commercially roasted nuts are burned to my taste.

Cashews can be delicious too. I can't seem to find pumpkin seeds are aren't stale.

Originally Posted By: Nyati
grin.gif

frown.gif

Her plan will leave evidence that amounts to gigantic billboards screaming the reason for your demise in large bold letters that any pathologist would immediately recognize. Don't believe the rumors of the perfect murder. Rest easy in the knowledge that after your autopsy the exact cause of death will be confirmed and your widow will have a difficult time finding her next husband. They will all know that you died an agonizing death gasping for air and choking to death thrashing about on the floor while your wife was capturing a YouTube moment.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
Raw pumpkin seeds help keep your prostate healthy. An ounce a day.

I wouldn't take it to the bank but it seems nuts, especially walnuts and selenium retard (somewhat) the growth of the prostate cancer (once you already have it). There is no study that I am aware of that says nuts/seeds prevent prostate cancer.

I have spent some time on the subject since I developed prostate cancer.

Millions of squirrels can't be wrong.
Nuts contain the type of fuel that endurance athletes need.
I would be better off watching the type of fat I put into
my body, and less concerned about the engine oil in my cars and trucks.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I eat most seeds raw, because roasting destroys enzymes.
hotwheels

How do these enzymes make it past the stomach?

Click the link below and read.

hotwheels

http://www.enzymestuff.com/digestion.htm

Link didn't tell me anything other than "enzymes are stable". Not really any proof or even theory. The real question is what are these enzymes supposed to do and how?

I eat most seeds raw, because roasting destroys enzymes.
hotwheels

How do these enzymes make it past the stomach?

Click the link below and read.

hotwheels

http://www.enzymestuff.com/digestion.htm

Link didn't tell me anything other than "enzymes are stable". Not really any proof or even theory. The real question is what are these enzymes supposed to do and how?

Your question is how enzymes get past the stomach. I presume you are alluding to the presence of destructive hydrochloric acid. Enzymes survive the same way that lactobacillus survives your stomoach and makes into intestine when you eat yogurt. Enzymes are not as fragile as one might think. I think that's what the article that I linked meant by "stable." If you require proof and further information on enzymes, what they do and how they work, I suggest you do reasearch at a library/bookstore and or on the internet, or ask your doctor.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back