What are your thoughts on Mobil 1, 75W-90 Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 6 quarts of Mobil 1, Gear oil to change the Differentials and Transfer case on my T4R when the weather is right. Also have 2 quarts of Mobil 1 to add to the Power steering after a flush of the system.

Anyone running this gear oil and what are your thoughts? I picked up the 6 quarts, along with 16 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF at Advance using the discount codes. Mobil 1 ATF came out to around $5.50 a quart and Mobil 1 75W-90 about $5.25 a quart.

I notice that a lot of people like Amsoil and Red Line, but I'm strictly speaking about Mobil 1. Thanks.

I'm running M1 75W-90 in my front diff, and M1 75W-140 in my rear diff. I've got no complaints about either, and the 75W-90 quieted the front diff down nicely, as the gears were starting to get a bit noisy due to worn out fluid (still had original fluid when I bought the Jeep).

I'm using it in my transfer case and rear differential. I chose it mostly based on the Amsoil white paper, to be honest, along with its published spec's. It certainly seems fine, but I don't know how I'd tell if it weren't...

I will say though that the M1 ATF in my power steering is a huge upgrade. Many of the Ford pumps seem to run hot and are hard on fluid. After doing a full flush, I do an evac/fill around once a year, and the fluid looks pretty much like new--to the point where I'm even questioning if it's necessary. It seems to hold up far, far better than the MercV that was in there originally, and the steering feels noticeably better when cold.

M1 ATF and gear fluids are very good, I'm using M1 75W90 in my S2000 differential and Honda MTF in transmission and it shift better than ever.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been running the M1 in my transmission for the last 100K miles with a freshen up "drain and fill" every 20K or so. I'm going to have a full drain by exchange of the fluids for the second time next month. I've been very pleased with M1 in my transmission and now I'll finally put it in my front and rear differentials and transfer case. I hope to run this gear lube for a long time since the results with my transmission have been outstanding.

With the deal at advance, on the transmission fluid and gear oil, the price for the Mobil 1 synthetics works out to almost the same as store brand conventional fluids.

Mobil Delvac 1, formerly known as Mobil SHC (SuperHighCarbon) 75W90 gear oil, perhaps?

I am currently using M1 ATF in the auto tranny of my 1980 Firebird FORMULA V8 and M1 75-90 Gear Oil in the differential with great succuss!

Am also using the 75-90 Gear Oil in the transfer case and differential of my wifes '01 LexusRX SUV and M1 ATF in the P/S system. If M1 had an ATF specific for Toyota T-IV, I would use that too!
I did try M1 ATF around 2004 in the Lexus along with LubeGard HFM as/per directions but the tranny acted weird for the whole year that I used it. Changed back to T-IV.

I have also use a variety of M1 oils without any issues. I beleive M1 makes great lubes for their specific app's.

My sons old 91 Ranger had 354k when finally sold this year, and only had 2 diff fluid changes using M1 75-90. No problems with diff or rear wheel bearings. Also I have used M1 ATF since M1 came out with the stuff in the early 90s with no PS pump failures yet. Use it in trannies as well.

Hi,
mongo161 - I have used these products in Class 8 IS Transport duties (and cars/light trucks too) - the gear oils out to 600k mile OCIs. Many UOAs on various components/vehicles showed that they performed their tasks excellently

They were run in consort with other comparable synthetics too

have run M1 gear lubes in all of my vehicles and it's been great in all. Often see an honest .5 mpg increase as well.

I don't like their engine oils, but the driveline lubes have served me better than well.

M

I have been running mineral 80w90 gear oils for years in my 23 year old car. I changed my manual gearbox about 4 years ago to a used one which was supposed to be in better condition . However this tranny is worse. In all gears there was a whining noise..the pitch higher in the 4th and 5th. Funny the 3rd gear was the most silent..and the first 2 had a loder rougher whine. I changed the gear oil to pennzoil sae 90 last year and things remained the same even when tje fluids were new.
so i found a gearbox leak from the right side driveshaft and did some research on available synthrtic gear oils. I got m1 shc 75w90..bought 3 bottles. Just got the oil seal changed and threw the old dino fluid. Filled with 2 bottles of the m1. When i drove my car i was amazed. The loud whine in 1st and 2nd was gone !
the only whine audible was the 4th gear..but the sound was halved !
I am truly amazed at the difference the synthetics gave my tranny.
How long should i use this oil before the next change ?

Yep it is outstanding oil. I used in a rear diff on GMC Safari RWD van and it quieted it down a fair bit. Run it with confidence.

excellence gear oil, I am highly recommend
thumbsup2.gif

there couple reason why I love it and use it all in my ride that required 75w90

1 : It do the job well done, high low , high power situation, shock situation, racing to every day driving, I run this stuff 50k miles or 5+ year. and not worried

2: The price and its easy find in any part stored, I like idea where I just to go part store and grap it off the shelf for really good price, usually under $8

Mobil 1 gear oil is high quality gear oil, easy find any where at local, and price is affordable for such a great gear oil, I love all mobil product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back