Car storage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2013 Ford Mustang has been sitting in my Massachusetts garage since around mid November and I have not started it since then. I keep it on a battery tender and I was always taught that it's not a good idea to start a car in storage unless you can drive it to heat up the oil if not you risk developing moisture in the oil and the engine. I have often wondered though is it a bad thing to let a motor sit for more then several months it that the oil will totally wash away from the cylindar walls and you get a totally dry start. Now I also read in my owners manual that if the car has not been started in 15 days it is recommended to start the car and idle it until the motor reaches normal operating temp. So what do you all recommend for storage starting every 15 days or just let it sit for several months until spring? Is one way less taxing on the motor?

I'm in the school of thought not to start it unless you plan to drive it to operating temp.

I had a 90s Maxima that was stored and moved over the course of 5 years, many times in the dead of winter and not letting it warm up, never seemed to hurt it.

It will be fine.

I have a race engine sitting in an unheated garage, without heads on it, for the last 7 yrs. No rust or corrosion. I did spray fogging oil on the cylinder walls, but that was 7 yrs ago. Been under a tarp since.

Oil never runs off the engine parts entirely, I've seen engines out of service for 10 years that still have engine oil clinging to the valves, pistons ect.. Oil doesn't evaporate, even after 100 years.

I've been storing cars/trucks for many many years... sometimes for a year or more, although normally just for the winter or summer season. I fill with premium the last tank, use stabil in the gas, change the oil before storage, and dont start them until I need them. I currently have 9 cars and two drivers, so I am always storing cars. 3 of them are currently out of state...

Last edited:
It'll be fine if you don't start it. When we stored my girlfriend's Civic for the winter, we didn't start it at all for over 5 months. Before we fired it up, we charged the battery and it started like it was just running and driving a minute ago. We didn't start it once, that entire time. I'm doing the same thing with the Firebird. It's better to not start it than it is to start it, IMO. Of course, it's a good idea to do a few preventative things like putting a fuel stabilizer into a full tank of gas before storage, blocking off the intake/exhaust so mice won't make nests, put a box of baking soda inside the car, etc.

Not starting is the best bet for everything except one item - the AC. The seals may shrink from not being in contact with oils, it is often recommended to run ac once a month.

But what can you do?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Now I also read in my owners manual that if the car has not been started in 15 days it is recommended to start the car and idle it until the motor reaches normal operating temp.

I've not seen that recommendation in my 08 manual. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. That's interesting and maybe i'll start doing that.

I've been starting once every 6 -8 weeks or so waiting for a day in the 40s if possible. I'll sometimes let mine idle for an hour to burn off all the moisture.

I have a car that has always sat from October thru May since 1989. I never start it until I am ready to drive it. I keep the battery charged and place the car on jack stands at all four corners. I add gas stabilizer each fall and change the oil every two years.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
...place the car on jack stands at all four corners.

What you are doing is hurting your car. Needing jack stands for a stored car is an old myth that is counterproductive. Suspensions were designed to be loaded.

After this many years?I have been doing it a long time. No myth. Springs start to sag, tires get flat spots that take a while to work out.Suspensions are designed to be loaded, yes that is true. Over long periods of time an unloaded spring will last longer than one that is loaded. That seems like common sense to me.

My truck has been parked since november, i fill up the tank, air up the tires, change oil, back it in, hook up battery tender and wait until spring.

If you plan on starting it drive it at least 30 minutes, and drive it with the defroster on. Otherwise leave it alone.

After this many years?I have been doing it a long time. No myth. Springs start to sag, tires get flat spots that take a while to work out.Suspensions are designed to be loaded, yes that is true. Over long periods of time an unloaded spring will last longer than one that is loaded. That seems like common sense to me.

I think the argument is the bushings don't like being in an unnatural position. Sounds like a rob peter to pay paul scenario, for sure.

You are going to damage your bushings.

A car in storage has essentially zero wear & tear on the suspension. What wears out suspensions is hard cornering and hitting potholes, not simply sitting still.

Flat spotting tires is another old myth that needs to permanently go away. It did happen with the old bias ply tires of 30-40 years ago, but that's long gone.

Just trying to help...its your car so you choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back