Places in the world with wild temperature swings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Valley can be extreme. There the highest summer high ever was 134°F and the lowest winter low ever was 15°F. The biggest temperature drop I have ever experienced was a 50°F drop from day to night time temperature in the Sahara. Bring your shemagh!

hotwheels

I think our weather varies a lot, but not much compared to some places. We get a low of -3C to a stinking hot sticky 30C, I hate both extremes, but some people just wear a singlet and shorts all year round.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
49 degree temp change in just two minutes.

That is the record for fastest temp change on Earth.

The front range of the Rocky Mountains, all the way from New Mixico into Canada, can have the wildest temp changes on the planet due to the topographical layout and the latitude. When shallow cold airmasses back up against the mountains and can not penetrate them, if the surface winds switch and blow from the west over and down the eastern slopes (a chinook wind), it compresses the air and heats it. I've seen -15 to 40 degrees overnight once here in Colorado Springs. Loma Montana has the record for the fastest 24 hour temp change on Earth; 103F! They also have the record for the fastest 24 hour temp drop, 100 F in Browning Montana.

http://www1.kxlh.com/news/blog-montana-known-for-its-extreme-temperature-records/

http://www.omgfacts.com/lists/4963/In-1916-the-temperature-in-Montana-dropped-100-degrees-in-ONE-DAY

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
We get a low of -3C to a stinking hot sticky 30C

Pretty much the same for here, not surprisingly, though we probably get less rain than NZ. I wish it was warmer - the hotter, the better for me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Silk
We get a low of -3C to a stinking hot sticky 30C, I hate both extremes,

We get above 30C during summer and -25C during winter. I find the +30C easier to deal with than -25C.

I am almost certain New Zealand is the only continent (or island) with such a wide range in temperatures and different landscapes compared to its size. (tundra, forest, mountains etc.) I think they have a volcano too.

Seems like a pretty country. Sadly, the closest Ill ever get to it is by watching the Lord of the Rings movies. Lol.

Last edited:
Yes, we are long and skinny, and stuck out in the middle of the ocean, the weather just goes straight over us, the only thing it notices is the Southern Alps. Auckland sits on a narrow isthmus only about a km wide at it's narrowest, and it truly is a city with 4 seasons in one day as the weather just moves across. Strangely, some of the highest temps in summer are in the lower South Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back