Overfill Corvette if racing?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my dry sump system. Changing 5 gallons of oil is fun too.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I love my dry sump system. Changing 5 gallons of oil is fun too.
laugh.gif

Yes i believe that is why all engines should have a dry sump system. They are critical in racing applications. Most of your dragsters and track cars are going to have a dry sump system.

Surprisingly, Top Fuelers do NOT run a dry sump.

Honestly...unless I was building a dedicated (trailered) track car, I'd use a wet-sump. I've seen what can be done with a stock oiling system and some careful part selection.

Sorry i was wrong.
Some helpful info i found.
Because a dry sump system typically uses a very shallow pan to collect the oil, the engine can be placed much lower in the chassis, thereby lowering the overall center of gravity of the vehicle
The use of the external reservoir provides the ability to run a larger capacity of oil
The larger oil capacity that a dry sump offers allows the oil to cool and released gasses from ring blow by and the movement of the crankshaft
Having the oil pump mounted outside of the engine/oil pan allows for easier maintenance or replacement of the pump
Although of less importance in a straight-line drag racing application, dry sumps are less susceptible to oil pressure loss in racing environments where high-g loads from high speed cornering slosh the oil out of reach of the pickup tube

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I thought the new C7 was dry sump?

The OP is talking about the C6 range that the Z06 was the only one with a "dry" sump. The C7 has optional "dry" sump with I think checking the Z51 box, you can still get one with wet sump.

The C6 ZR1 also had the same dry sump system from the factory.
wink.gif

Yep, and STILL has oiling issues at certain venues.

A dry sump is not a panacea. They differ wildly by application, so simply saying you have one does not mean you never starve for oil in sustained high G corners...

And plenty of people have had no problems with a wet sump!

13.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stock oiling system with accumulator.

This might sound sacrilege, but the dry sump on the Vettes isn't a true dry-sump. It still uses the factory style crank driven oil pump and I don't see any scavenge or forced oiling lines with a real multi stage dry sump pump.

This might sound sacrilege, but the dry sump on the Vettes isn't a true dry-sump. It still uses the factory style crank driven oil pump and I don't see any scavenge or forced oiling lines with a real multi stage dry sump pump.

Yes, EXACTLY!

This is the point SteveSRT8 was making in his post above, and why a lot of SERIOUS open track/road race Vette owners convert to the exorbitantly priced, multi-stage, ARE systems, even if their y body came from the factory with a 'dry sump'.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Yes, EXACTLY!

This is the point SteveSRT8 was making in his post above, and why a lot of SERIOUS open track/road race Vette owners convert to the exorbitantly priced, multi-stage, ARE systems, even if their y body came from the factory with a 'dry sump'.
wink.gif

Thanks for noticing!

The words "dry sump" cover a lot of ground...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^^perfect.

Yes, you are hardly going to find that multi stage scavenging on a factory Vette....

For good reason. There's no where to fit it. People are cutting frames to fit these things which is counter to the overall goals in racing of maintaining a stiff platform. I'm not going to chop mine up to do it.

I overfilled my 98 Corvette by one full quart the entire time I owned it, I bought that car in 2004 with 32k on it and sold it in 2013 with 133k on it.

With my 05, I decided just to stick with the recommended capacity, even though I know it would also be safe to go one quart over. I think the higher price of oil now is the main reason I'm sticking with the specified amount
smile.gif

Now something like this is what I think of when I hear "dry sump."

LarryMc03.jpg

They basically have NO CHOICE but to run those kinds of systems if they want their power plants to last the 250-500 miles they must, given the revs they turn, and the g/centrifugal forces their oiling systems must be able to handle.
wink.gif

(And YES, that is one of the prettiest engines in all of roundy 'round racing!
20.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back