When did Hyundai/Kia become so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait..I thought it was five years. Now, it's 200K miles?...that'll take me around 9-10 years so I'm gonna need an email or a phone number to keep this on the up and up...

Unfortunately, many people don't keep cars that long and that's why a 200K mile comparison doesn't mean anything to someone who makes a habit of selling or trading in cars every 4-5 years. My old Dodge Dart could've gone a million miles if it wanted to so while that'll mean something to a "car guy", it won't mean anything to somebody who doesn't drive cars into the ground and still has enough resale value when he lets it go.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Lots of them on the Hyundai boards. Still running like tops.

We're not talking about stories told on some anonymous board.
We're talking about what you experience as your fairly new and fairly low mileage cars age.

Many of us have a sincere desire to keep cars for a long time.
This is partly a matter of economics and it's partly a matter of taking pride in maintaing a car and keeping it functional well past the point where the ignorant masses would have traded it.
Only someone with either a good sense of humor or a strong sense of irony would apply the term "resale vakue" to most cars.
Resale value is rarely sufficint to compensate for the capital cost of the car less any realistic allocable depreciation expense per mile.
My rule of thumb is that ten cents per miles is a reasonable allocation of depreciation per mile of use and you can get well below that if you keep the car long enough.
By that metric, the chance of recouping enough money in resale value to make trading the car off economically viable is almost non-existent.
And, no, neither your Dodge Dart nor anyone else's would have lasted a million miles, whether you wanted it to or not.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Lots of them on the Hyundai boards. Still running like tops.

We're not talking about stories told on some anonymous board.
We're talking about what you experience as your fairly new and fairly low mileage cars age.

I don't make any distinction here... My personal experience isn't any more valuable than those who post elsewhere, on different boards many of us belong to. You either trust their claims or not. Bitog or not. I do.

Like vuflanovsky asserted, many folks dont keep cars for 200k miles, for whatever reason. That doesn't mean the vehicle isnt capable of attaining it.

Last edited:
..... There is no right or wrong here. ....considering the ignorance some folks have.......ignorant statements.

There's no right or wrong, but the negative statements are ignorant............

Many of us have a sincere desire to keep cars for a long time.
This is partly a matter of economics and it's partly a matter of taking pride in maintaing a car and keeping it functional well past the point where the ignorant masses would have traded it.
Only someone with either a good sense of humor or a strong sense of irony would apply the term "resale vakue" to most cars.
Resale value is rarely sufficint to compensate for the capital cost of the car less any realistic allocable depreciation expense per mile.
My rule of thumb is that ten cents per miles is a reasonable allocation of depreciation per mile of use and you can get well below that if you keep the car long enough.
By that metric, the chance of recouping enough money in resale value to make trading the car off economically viable is almost non-existent.
And, no, neither your Dodge Dart nor anyone else's would have lasted a million miles, whether you wanted it to or not.

Unfortunately, you seem to assign the word ignorance to anything that doesn't match with either your worldview or the way you buy and maintain cars. No one said that cars are a good investment and I typically don't view keeping one for 10 years as a badge of honor or a chance to show someone my planning in frugality. My experience with that mindset with two cars ( Toyota and Mazda ) is that once you pass 140K or so miles diminishing returns starts to kick in and your .10 cent/mile depreciation goal can be easily usurped by water pumps, failed suspension components, failed VVT actuators, failed pulley assemblies and a host of other things that might crop up. If you fix them all yourself, some of them yourself, or none of them yourself, it's a significant economic factor and doesn't particularly involve ignorance.

You're looking at the idea of car purchase in a more one-dimensional way and it doesn't take into consideration that because many people save for cars in different ways, procure cars in different ways, and pay for cars in different ways, the concept of "resale" can mean different things to different people. I would admit that the concept of "resale" is typically used in 3 and 5 year increments and for most it's a losing proposition. However, if you substitute the word "resale" with "remaining value", it's a different story once you get near 100K miles and the car is just automatically parted out or Blue Book drops in a private party sale. If we take the word "value" in it's broadest sense then I think that most would agree that if you start saving/investing for the next mo. loan, this will give you a different financial result and bolster different options if you're interested in trading or selling a car at the five year mark.

If I made more than the particular car payment per month on the earmarked investment this would obviously change the dynamic again. I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. I would have to calculate if paying a 3-4K delta between the trade-in or sale value and the funds in my earmarked investment for the new car is a better investment every four or five years or every 10 years considering cost(s), value, depreciation, wear and tear, and maintenance on the vehicle plus the ROI of the investment. My guess is that example of a
To say that the ignorant masses are the only ones who sell or trade cars at the five year mark without understanding their finances or experiences with a particular car doesn't tell me too much. Telling me that by buying a Toyota or Honda I won't experience the level of problems of some other makes hasn't been my experience when these two vehicles above had more parts failures than expected replacement items like water pumps, timing belts, ball joints, etc. once they got into their golden years.

Very nice and thoughtful post Vuflanovsky. I am one who usually does not depreciate my cars fully. I am a cash buyer and always find I rather cut a check for the difference of a $10,000.00 to $12,000.00 trade in than to cut a check for a larger sum.

That's my comfort zone - I have no idea how that comes out cost per mile because I don't care. It's the way I buy cars period. The upside of this is that I never have to deal with repairs other than maintenance.

Okay, I'll relate my experiences with a couple of 200K Hondas.
One was an '86 Civic Wagon, the other a '97 Accord coupe.
Both were sticks.
Replaced the timing belts/water pumps/tesioners on both once.
Replaced the brakes a couple of times on both.
Both needed clutches somewhere north of 150K.
Both needed new batteries once and both ate three sets of tires.
Both eventually needed new outer CV joints on both sides.
That's it.
The Civic was just over 200K and seveteen years old when we parted with it while the Accord had 207K and was sixteen years old.
No unusual expenses, no major mechanical parts required replacement and no particular dedication was required to own them or keep them alive, safe and healthy running.
Just regular driving and regular maintenance, but nothing like 3K OCIs.
Both engines saw redline on a regular basis, since a stick encourages one to blow the cobwebs out and a four cylinder Honda loves the redline, especially an old 1.5 liter Civic.
Nothing extraordinary in keeping any decent car of the past thirty years for 200K.
You just have to select a decent car to begin with.

Well..the term decent is left open for one's own interpretation. I had an 2010 Accord EX-L that I had 1 major repair-a $600.00 airbag control module. The first car I ever owned that had that particular part go bad. But that being said there are any number of cars (I believe) that can do what your cars have done.

With my frequent trips between Salt Lake City and Los Angeles, CA and the 5 hours of "the middle of nowhere driving I will never make that drive in a car with 150K on the odometer.

But that's just me. The West has some very long stretches of roads that is best if your car doesn't give you any problems.

Last edited:
I saw a Kia Optima a few years ago when I was shopping around for my Challenger. Couldn't believe it was 24K. That's 3.5K more than I paid for my car (although I did buy mine slightly used).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With "slightly used" the other owner took the initial depreciation. Not apples to apples comparison IMHO.

I like to buy used cars around 30,000 miles with some factory warranty left as well. However, they are hard to find depending on make/model. Then you really have to negotiate, because often times they are priced near to new when you factor in all the incentives on the new ones.

Last edited:
The Korean manufacturers are only really cheaper with cash purchases, they offer huge discounts year's end.

Otherwise, lack of some basic features (not a single suv with 4wd) will keep them incomparable in my books.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
The Korean manufacturers are only really cheaper with cash purchases, they offer huge discounts year's end.

Otherwise, lack of some basic features (not a single suv with 4wd) will keep them incomparable in my books.

An All Wheel Drive option is available in the U.S. on both the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorrento.

I attended the Cleveland car show yesterday. I wasn't impressed with Kia or Hyundai, and they are over priced. The W900 is $75,000. A Lexus LS is $80,000. The Azzerra is $38,000, more than the starting price of an Acura TLX. The Sonota was more than an Accord. I don't get it.

People have short memories and have no appreciation for the driving dynamics of cars.
When one can buy an Accord or Camry for Hyudai/Kia money, only the uninformed would be shopping their local Hyundia/Kia dealer.
The warranty has little meaning given how brutal Hyundai (they also own the Kia brand) is reported to be in applying it.
When did Hyundai start pricing their products at mainstream levels?
When they figured out that they could.

Lol! Oh dear, some of us truly live in the past.

No kidding. My local (and only) Toyota dealer was a liar who did everything to push repairs outside of warranty. I hear Honda is just as brutal with their "that can't be, we only build perfection" attitude. Kia was superb and even serviced (my now) ex's Rondo outside of warranty. The fact the Rondo parts were dirt cheap was a bonus.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: firemachine69

An All Wheel Drive option is available in the U.S. on both the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorrento.

We do as well, but AWD /= 4WD.

My Hyundai dealer did all they could to not perform repairs under warranty, they could weasel their way out of anything. The impression I got from them, and from looking at their service orders, is that the great Hyundai warranty paid them so little for their work that they simply didn't want to do it.

I suspect similar behaviour from other brand dealers, if their bottom line is their only motivation. Dealers like that deserve no repeat business from customers. Unfortunately many dealers are like this, after the sale they don't want to hear from you or see you unless you're back to buy another vehicle or pay for out-of-warranty services yourself.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
My Hyundai dealer did all they could to not perform repairs under warranty, they could weasel their way out of anything. The impression I got from them, and from looking at their service orders, is that the great Hyundai warranty paid them so little for their work that they simply didn't want to do it.

I suspect similar behaviour from other brand dealers, if their bottom line is their only motivation. Dealers like that deserve no repeat business from customers. Unfortunately many dealers are like this, after the sale they don't want to hear from you or see you unless you're back to buy another vehicle or pay for out-of-warranty services yourself.

You did not go far enough up the chain. Get their answer as to whether they will cover it. If they don't go to corporate. Corporate is who the warranty is with not the dealer.

I tried to go up the chain. Hyundai USA simply deflected me back to the Hyundai dealer, who did nothing. After those efforts failed, I gave up. It wasn't worth it to pay an attorney to get their attention, better to lose a few thousand and learn a lesson. Maybe people with deep pockets can press the case on principle, but I cannot.

What was the issue? I have sen Genesis Coupes with three or four transmissions replaced and some at the 99k mile point.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

I got a similar impression from a co-worker who had a second generation Tiburon (I think his was a 2007 model). His had the 2.7L V-6 and manual transmission. It went through one clutch (he knows how to drive), multiple power window motors/parts, a power seat part, and numerous other interior part failures. All in the first 30k or so miles. He traded it on a Ford F-150 as soon as he felt like he could.

I'd joke with him, "at least everything's under warranty, right?" He said that he had to fight the local dealer on everything. Even stuff that's clearly warranted, the dealer would push back about wanting to do it. He got the same answer you did: the home office either pays so little on the dealership's warranty claim or flat denies it altogether, that the dealership has started making the strategic decision to not fix things unless they're either physically split in half or unless the customer threatens to sue them.

To be fair, though, this isn't specific only to Hyundai. When I owned a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country, the dealer refused to fix rattling stabilizer bushings because they hadn't failed. "But they're allowing the bar to rattle!" "Yes, but they haven't physically failed yet." I guess all automakers had gotten pretty strict during the downturn and were making the decision to risk a long term customer over a short term claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back