napa proselect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by saying that I work at a major chain maintenance and repair shop that deals with Napa. We can get any oil filter, but we deal with their proselect stuff. How bad are they? What would be an equivalent filter?
Because I can get it cheap I do my oil changes through work. I have a '12 soul with 37k on it and run synpower 0w-20 for 5k oci. I also live 2 miles from work and tend to try to make a longer trip on weekends to burn off contamination. I live in mn so its cold in winters and hardly tops 100 in the summer
Does this sound reasonable? I know I should send off to Blackstone but I keep forgetting

they are decent filters, wix design.

they are compared to the carquest and microgard filters, at least they were but i think those might be getting made by champion now.

I've used them several times and even cut them apart to check the design, good and sturdy.

can you get a silver or gold?

I could, but I'd still have to pay for the proselect. Are the Napa gold filters that much better? Especially with my short oci?

Oh BTW standard oci is 7.5k

some would say yes, with the different antidrainback valve and media.

Ive honestly never used one, maybe try one of each and cut them apart and compare notes

You're getting them for under $3 right?

Good jobber filter, but I would have to see one cut open before I'd say to push it to 5k or not. For a WIX made filter, and from what I have seen, the pleats seem too wavy for my liking.

The Napa Silver (Oreilly MicroGard equivalent) is just under $4 and is pretty stout as well.

I saw some from a while ago, but I thought it may have changed. In The time I used a microguard last they have changed twice.

Yeah I can get them all day for $2.20. I guess in the long run I'm not out that much, but its the point of the thing...

I guess I will have to cut one open, I'm 800 miles from my next oil change

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Yeah I can get them all day for $2.20. I guess in the long run I'm not out that much, but its the point of the thing...

I guess I will have to cut one open, I'm 800 miles from my next oil change

Be sure to post it here too.
laugh.gif

If you can get the jobber prices, it's probably worth stepping up to the Napa Gold. That said, nothing wrong with Proselect for 5k.
In regards to Blackstone, don;t worry about it, because Napa has their own UOA kit, and it's much less expensive since you already have the Napa account.

I've used and cut open quite a few in the past, but I wasn't that impressed with the media quality. It seemed so brittle and wavy that I ended up switching to Purolators. After those started having issues, I switched to Fram or the higher end Affinia/Wix made filters. I also believe I remember reading somewhere (but I can't find the source right now) that the efficiency is pretty poor with the ProSelects as well.

Thanks for the opinions. And thanks for letting me know about Napa having oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I agree with stepping up to the Napa Gold if possible, it's a superior filter in every way to the pro select.

+1 on that.

The NAPA ProSelect oil filter is one of the few filter that I DON'T get startup rattle in my Altima in my signature. These Altima's are notorious for this startup(& timing chain) rattle. Puro Classic has been another good filter in regards of the startup rattle.

Since you are using a high quality oil and changing it every 5k miles, you have no reason to do a oil analysis. Only if you are going to extend your oil interval and trying to get a longer OCI. Then the analysis will tell you how the oil held up in longer service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back