Thinking of a new trans, called some ppl (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to look past the labeling and realize what Maxlife is, it's a full synthetic fluid with excellent properties at a bargain price. It doesn't contain stop leak just seal conditioners which all transmission fluids already contain.

I'm pretty set on the Maxlife, I got all 3 gallons for $50 which is a steal. I would consider higher end synthetics like Redline of Amsoil but the increase in cost doesn't justify the small performance gain, especially since I will be doing a drain and fill early in the new transmissions life to get the break in contamination out.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Maxlife is superior to DexronVI from the research I have. It's marketed as a high mileage fluid but it's really just an awesome bargain synthetic. It doesn't contain seal swellers it contains seal conditioners which all transmission fluids already do.

M1 ATF may not be as much of a bargain, but it has better cold specs and is 20-30% PAO.

Blasphemy! Ban OVERKILL!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Maxlife is superior to DexronVI from the research I have. It's marketed as a high mileage fluid but it's really just an awesome bargain synthetic. It doesn't contain seal swellers it contains seal conditioners which all transmission fluids already do.

M1 ATF may not be as much of a bargain, but it has better cold specs and is 20-30% PAO.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Blasphemy! Ban OVERKILL!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I see what you did there.

I will be exclusively servicing this transmission with Maxlife it's entire life and don't expect to have any transmission problems with the car any longer.

Triple edge should be completing and shipping out the new transmission by the end of the week, maybe even tomorrow... I am dropping off the car at the mechanic on Sunday and hopefully should be able to pick it up within a few days.

I'm getting some suspension and brake work done too. So hopefully everything goes well.

I will update it as soon as I drive it.

Talked to Dave today, the transmission won't be finished until tomorrow and won't ship out til Monday. I guess I'm still going to drop the car off at the mechanic on Sunday to give him time to pull my transmission.

The transmission arrived at the mechanic yesterday, I called him today and he's going to start on it soon I hope. The goal is to have it finished I by Sunday night so I can pick it up.

It's done!

The Triple Edge Transmission is installed and i have the car back. It's a night and day difference in how the car shifts. I am glad to have that done. I still have a few other maintenance items i need to do on the suspension, but now i don't have to worry about banging shifts.

Now i just have to get used to driving this old thing around after having gotten used to the awesome 2015 Explorer Limited i had for a rental.

Yes it shifts beautifully and it's hard to tell but I believe I am getting better mpg too! It could be summer blend gas or the warmer weather but I'll know after a full tank since I keep gas mileage records all year I can compare to last spring.

Hi Mem,

It would be interesting to take pictures of the internals when they rebuild it, or at least find out what went bad in the tranny.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Hi Mem,

It would be interesting to take pictures of the internals when they rebuild it, or at least find out what went bad in the tranny.

Yes i suppose it would. There is a large list of common failures no their website.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/4T65E-Common-Problems.html

My transmission was still working when it was pulled, so it technically didn't fail, but it was showing its age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back