Cylinder soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
The olds 3.5L is starting to consume wayyy too much oil again and I am thinking about trying a cylinder soak to help loosen up the sticky rings these engines are known for. I have the following options, what would you use?

1. MMO
2. Seafoam
3. Sta-bil fogging oil
4. Amsoil saber
5. M1 20w50 (or really any weight)
6. M1 atf
7. Something else?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
None of the above...

GM Piston and Ring Cleaner (P/N 12378549 12 ounce bottle)

Does this get poured down the spark plug holes and then let it sit overnight?

4 cyl instructions:

1. in order for the cleaner to be effective, the engine must be warm.
2. Disconnect negative battery cable.
3. Remove spark plugs.

4. Rotate engine crankshaft until notch in crank pulley is at 3 o'clock (90° after top dead center) position. This will position all of the pistons midway in their bores.
5. Pour 3 ounces of GM Piston and Ring Cleaner (P/N 12378549 12 ounce bottle) into each cylinder through the spark plug hole.
6. Cover the cylinder head and spark plug holes to prevent debris from getting into the combustion chamber and to prevent excess evaporation of the cleaner.
7. Allow the engine cleaner to soak for a minimum of 2 hours.
After the minimum 2-hour soak, there may be some cleaner left in the combustion chambers. Do not start the engine until all of the cleaner has been removed from the combustion chamber or severe engine damage may occur.
8. After the minimum 2-hour soak, remove the remaining cleaner from the combustion chambers by placing shop towels over all of the spark plug holes and cranking the engine through a few revolutions.
9. Install the spark plugs and spark plug wires.
10. Start the engine and run only enough to reach normal operating temperature.
11. Drain the engine oil and remove oil filter.

Last edited:
I have used SeaFoam and got excellent results on a vehicle with clogged oil drain holes. Chemtool B12 is very similar chemically and would likely work well, too.

I had previously been using HDEO to clean them and it was making some progress, but the soak did wonders. Afterwards I switched to Pennz. PP to help keep them clean.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I have used SeaFoam and got excellent results on a vehicle with clogged oil drain holes. Chemtool B12 is very similar chemically and would likely work well, too.

I had previously been using HDEO to clean them and it was making some progress, but the soak did wonders. Afterwards I switched to Pennz. PP to help keep them clean.

Chemtool is nothing like SeaFoam chemically. They are both solvent based, but Chemtool solvents are much more aggressive(acetone, toulene vs Naptha and IPA).

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Chemtool is nothing like SeaFoam chemically. They are both solvent based, but Chemtool solvents are much more aggressive(acetone, toulene vs Naptha and IPA).

My mistake, you are right. I must have looked up the wrong MSDS at their website because I see that the B-12 MSDS is nothing like I remember reading in the past. It must have been another product of theirs I looked up.

Redline in the gas and B12 in the plug holes might help for a short while, new, high tension rings and good quality oil should stop it from recurring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back