changing it up my oil change routine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys how's it going, I have a 2003 Chevy 1500HD 6.0L with about 169,000. I just did a oil change with 5qts of Valvoline 10w-30, 1qt of Lucas oil stabilizer, 1 can of Restore and a Bosch filter(I normaly use Castrol Gtx and a Napa Gold but I got a 5qt jug of Val. and a Bosch filter for $25 at Auto Zone so it was a good deal). The Chevy 6.0L are Notorious noisy with either Lifter tick or piston slap depending on who you talk to you(which a great majority of the time is harmless). I've always changed my oil the same way with the same products as stated above. I'm also looking in to changing my dif oil (thinking Lucas) and tranny fluid (thinking Kendall or Amalie). Just wondering if anyone recommend any different products to use or anything along those lines, maybe something to quiet the noise up. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I would skip Lucas oil stabilizer and Restore, just use brand name oil and Valvoline is good. By the way, which flavor Valvoline that you use ? Synpower ?

Yes I have, I didn't use it on my last oil change which was Chevron 10W-30, 1 quart of Lucas and a Napa platinum. Would switching to a synthetic or higher weight oil help any?

welcome2.gif
!!

Wish you would have said something before the oil change, the restore with CSL (Copper, Silver, Lead) is last resort...

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L with 200,000 miles that had that clack going on even with top quality synthetics.

THEN, I tried Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) 5w-40.

That was the only thing that completely quieted up the noises!!

Read this: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206592

There you go!
thumbsup2.gif

If it ain't broke don't fix it. You aren't helping it any with all those additives.

Just run oil

Does your truck have the lifter tick?

I would use Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 (or 10w40) in the engine with no additives and Maxlife ATF in the transmission. Both are excellent products.

Synthetic diff oil might not be a bad idea.. Lucas is overrated IMO. Valvoline Synpower or Mobil 1 75w40 weights are both good.

Use 6 qts of good 5w or 10w 30, dino or syn and u will be fine. Use a good 75w90 in the rear diff ( like valvoline, M1, red line, even supertech). Tranny, u can use dex vi, maxlife, even supertech atf. U will be good to go. I have used all the products listed above w zero problems. I would skip the Lucas

Last edited:
Turk, I've read that befor on a 6.0 forum that diesel oil quites then up.

Dlundblad, that depends on who you ask what the noise is. A guy at my work has a '06 1500hd 6.0l with like only 60k and it sounds the same as mine with almost 170k. I've heard that once you start using HM oil you can't go by to conventional...?.I don't need a HM tranny fluid beacause I'm on my third tansmission, the Original one grenaded its self and cracked the fly wheel at exactly 100k I belive, I replaced it with a factory GM rebuilt one and it went out beause of a defective fluid recall(which they never notified me about), so GM warrantied that one and sent me a brand-new crate 4L80e with a 30k warranty.
So any recommendations for a good tranny fluid and gear oil? (Both tranny and diff have Mag-Hytec pans)

I'd skip any additives and use a syn like pp and in 5w30. You can't really do better than that. The rear end I'd just use a good quality syn gear oil. The rec weight as well. I hate Lucas and I will never use it. There is many great oils out there as well so you can choose a better and cheaper one than lucas.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG! We are glad to have you and are here to help! So, the first thing I would do is change the oil to get rid of the Lucas and Restore. They really aren't doing your engine any favors. Todays oils are balanced with all the additives your engine will need. Change the oil and go with a good OTC (over the counter..i.e. Walmart / Autozone etc.) synthetic oil like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum / Valvoline Synpower etc. This will slowly clean up any gunk that may be hindering the lifters from pumping up all the way, and clean up any other dirty engine components. Cheers!

Edit: as far as transmission fluid goes, I would recommend Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc. Its great stuff!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the helpfull I for. Since it was the recommended here and on a 6.0... Looks like I'm leaning towards using a diesel motor oil fir my next OC. Any negatives in doing this? Will also be discontineing the use of Lucas and Restore. Seems no one like Lucas oil products here? I crew part time for a Pro-Mod drag racing team, and that's what's in our motor, was 70w now 50w Lucas oil and it's also in our rear gear and we have had zero problems. Our engine builder actually recommended we pour some LOS across that lifters in the intional Fire up. The reason I have been/thought about using I can get at a very reasonabl price and the LOS wasn't costing me anything.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would skip Lucas oil stabilizer and Restore, just use brand name oil and Valvoline is good.

+1

No additives.

Use a good conventional oil like the Valvoline or Castrol and call it good.

Stay away from Lucas in your diff.

If you want something special in there, try Mobil 1 in the correct weight for your application.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would skip Lucas oil stabilizer and Restore, just use brand name oil and Valvoline is good.

+1

+2 - FWIW- I've had good results with Amsoil Signature & Castrol GTX High Mileage - both 5W30 on my 6.0

and
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back