Any evidence Pentosin and Liquimoly are mediocre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many discussions about these brands of oils usually have comments about them being ho hum. Often popular domestic brands are recommended since they cost less. What is the best info in support of this contention? Is this reputation mostly speculation?

Pentosin, Liquimoly ... are hard to find and cost more than Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum ... If you need A3/B4 oil it is hard to find a better oil than Mobil 1 0W40, and it is available at Walmart for $25-26 5-qt jug.

All that matters is if they keep the parts separated and have proper additives when the oil is not enough as well as last for the expected interval

I use Pentosin Pento Super Performance III 504/507 in my VW TDI Jetta and I love it. It costs less than the Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30 or the Castrol 5W-30 Longlife III products, it seems to have completely eliminated the intercooler hose leakage that was common with the Castrol in the other TDI vehicles that I service, and they're a company that is happy to answer all of my technical questions in a concise and rapid manner.

I intend to convert all of my 4 wheeled vehicles that I operate or service over to Pentosin this summer.

As for durability/quality... my daily driver is sitting on 270,000 miles and doesn't consume a drop of oil in 5,000 mile intervals. It has been operated on whatever was on sale at the time over the past 17 years. I think oil quality in the 21st century is a non-issue. Just use the standards specified by the OEM and change it at a reasonable interval.

I'm going to celebrate with a beer when I reach 300,000 miles.
smile.gif

I've got Pentosin High Performance II 5w40 in my car right now. 9,300 miles on this fill so far, going to 10k miles on this OCI. I'm using it for my next oil change too which will be in about a week.

Ive used LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver and LongLife 5w-40 before with decent results in a HighMileage 1984 Jeep CHerokee 2.5Liter Hurricane 4 cylinder. That was back in 2003 though.

I think it really depends on what specific Pentosin or Lubro Moly oil you're talking about.

For instance: Lubro-Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40 that is available at NAPA is only certified with the BMW LL-98 spec. That's a 17 year old spec, and I'd think that if the oil was better they would want it to have the current spec even though LL-01 is almost as old. Their 0W-40 has the LL-01 spec.

Their 0W-40 only meets BMW LL-98. It only meets MB 229.3 also. That's two reasons I won't spend the extra $10.00 for 5 liters over Mobil 1 0W-40.

I don't have a problem with their low SAPS oils. Those oils are pretty much all made the same regarding additives. They are priced the same across the board also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back