Mag1 4T 10W-40 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone on here used this oil?

http://mag1.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=947f82ea-71bd-41ca-abad-b830e0b42786

You can get get it for less than $5/qt through amazon to your door. I'm tempted to get some as a gift for my brother who has a 2013 Yama 3-cyl bike. He currently uses T6 which is obviously a great oil, too, but he and I both like to try lesser known products and support the little guy when possible.

So anyone have any experience with the oil?
Thanks.

All the Warren/Mag1 products I've tried are excellent. If my Ranger 570 spec'd an Xw40 instead of Xw50, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Mag1 4T.

My thoughts are it very well may be a great oil, and I too often like to go the uncommon route to support the little guy. But jeez if I'm writing up the promo for my high performance oil on my web site, it seems I'd put a picture of something other than a lawn mower. That really made me laugh.

cSt of 13.95 is not even in the middle of 40wt.
12.5 - 16.3
i'd bet my motor would make it cry in under 75 miles of "the most grueling racing conditions." lol.

would it "protect" my motor? probably yes. more so than SRT 15w40? i'd be willing to bet not. and yet pay more for not? um NO!

Originally Posted By: sunruh
cSt of 13.95 is not even in the middle of 40wt.
12.5 - 16.3
i'd bet my motor would make it cry in under 75 miles of "the most grueling racing conditions." lol.

would it "protect" my motor? probably yes. more so than SRT 15w40? i'd be willing to bet not. and yet pay more for not? um NO!

The HTHS is almost 4. Is that not pretty stout? What is Rotella triple T's HTHS?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Almost 4? Weak for a bike 10W40.

Rotella T HTHS is 4.1
Amsoil MCT 10W40 is 4.5

Right, and those two are on the higher end. I can't find anything indicating 3.9 is low. I can't find anything to support your claim of "weak." Amsoil says minimum allowed is 2.9. Seems to me weak would be around 3. Keep in mind this oil isn't a full synthetic.

Last edited:
I got a mispriced Mag1 5w30 full syn deal and used it in all of my cars. Good results. I would buy it again if on sale.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Right, and those two are on the higher end. I can't find anything indicating 3.9 is low. I can't find anything to support your claim of "weak." Amsoil says minimum allowed is 2.9. Seems to me weak would be around 3. Keep in mind this oil isn't a full synthetic.

Your wrist pins and mains, choose what you like.

I hardly call Warren Distributing with their huge Walmart business a "little guy." I also don't know how Mag1 got the impression of something special regarding quality.

It is easy to make motor oil. Buy the base oil from one of several base oil refiners. Buy the additive package from one of the five or six chemical companies that make it. Stir well. There are different qualities of base oils of each API Group. There are also different qualities of additive packages, tho maybe not much for a lower volume product like the motorcycle package. Anyway, it ain't rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back