Toyota cartridge filter vs. the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been reading a lot on here on oil and filters.
I found that the Fram XG9972 is $12 versus what I paid at the stealership for the OEM Denso 04152-YZZA1 for $4.

is the Fram THAT much better? Just trying to figure this out.
21.gif

Fram Ultra's filtration rate and capacity is about double that of the OEM cartridge.

Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles or 1 year. OEM filters are rated for 10,000 miles or 6 months under normal (freeway driving) service.

My son uses the XG9972 Fram cartridge and changes the filter every other (5,000 mile) OCI.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Fram Ultra's filtration rate and capacity is about double that of the OEM cartridge.

Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles or 1 year. OEM filters are rated for 10,000 miles or 6 months under normal (freeway driving) service.

My son uses the XG9972 Fram cartridge and changes the filter every other (5,000 mile) OCI.

Interesting. I was surprised at the cost difference. I have always ran OEM now I have to try this.

OEM filters are rated for 10,000 miles or 6 months under normal (freeway driving) service.

no, it's 12 months for OEM. some people used them for 25,000 miles too. I'm currently testing 20,000 on toyota OEM cartridge.

The Toyota OEM cartridge filter is a very well made product. For the price difference, and if following the service interval set by Toyota, that is all you need.

Thanks all! I change oil at 5K. The car is in severe service. Short trips of 2.2 miles to bus stop and back during the week. Then running around on the weekends and the road trip to the outlaws, I mean inlaws.

I don't know much about Toyota cartridge filter, for German engines the best cartridge filters are German brands such as Mann, Hengst, Mahle ... and they are actually cheaper than Fram. I had Fram cartridge filter in my E430 oncw, it didn't stay on the filter holder as well as German filter.

You made a wise decision using the $4.00 OEM oil filter cartridges for a 5K OCI due to severe driving with very short trips. Wouldn't hurt to buy a case of them as that's an excellent price.

In most engines, it takes 15 minutes of drive-time for the oil to reach operating temperature and then another 15 +/- minutes of driving to burn-off contaminants from the engine not being fully warmed up during each drive cycle.

Any particle and holding capacity testing to see which filters cleans the oil best for the chosen interval or is just looking at pictures and some ones opinion a valid way to select filters.

You made a wise decision using the $4.00 OEM oil filter cartridges for a 5K OCI due to severe driving with very short trips. Wouldn't hurt to buy a case of them as that's an excellent price.

In most engines, it takes 15 minutes of drive-time for the oil to reach operating temperature and then another 15 +/- minutes of driving to burn-off contaminants from the engine not being fully warmed up during each drive cycle.

Thanks, I read the maintenance manual. I am also running TGMO 0w20.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Any particle and holding capacity testing to see which filters cleans the oil best for the chosen interval or is just looking at pictures and some ones opinion a valid way to select filters.

Someone that is biased to begin with. But you don't need to filter the oil the best, you need to filter the oil adequately. It can't cost but a $1 or 2 to build an oil filter. You can only expect so much quality. Seems even the cheapest filters get the job done as long as you replace them at the recommended intervals.

I just saw a private label FU on eBay, $9 and free shipping

Look up part #FPS9972

And don't forget, the FU is included with AAP's PP oil change deal, and the M1 filter is included with the M1 special.

Also, the OEM filters are made in Thailand, as opposed to the US-made aftermarket Fram and Purolator. Wix's filter for that application is made in Poland, and Mahle has an Austrian-made filter.

It depends your definition of "better". I used to be all about flow over filtration, and the OEM filter will get you just that. The Fram will offer MUCH better filtration, and still provide more than sufficient flow. Use either filter, there are people out there who have ran OEM filters to 200K plus with no issues.

Does Fram include the install tool? I would go with the OE for a cartridge filter, the exact OE specs in size, gaskets, and flow. The Toyota Denso may be a made in Japan version not sold as an aftermarket Denso. If so, $4 is a bargain. I know the air filter on mine is a Denso Japan, no aftermarket Denso available. If it is the same as on the car new, that should be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back