5w20 verses 5w30 in other countries without cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Long gone are the days when shops rebuilt engines as a regular part of their business.

Except for Crazyoildude who does it everyday!!

They also run significantly longer change intervals - but that's more a function of better oil not grade.

nfxKQB0.jpg

My '08 Taurus company car has always had the oil changed according to the indicator, and had 5W20 put in at the quickie lube without my intervention. It's been 205,000 miles and it won't use a cup in 6000 miles. what are you worrying about?
Heck, it doesn't even drip on my driveway.

Here is the link to 2011 Camry owners manual for Russian market - same 2AR-FE engine as in US:

http://en.calameo.com/read/003785165f702b64c1cc1

Look at page 274 for engine oil specifications - in addition to 0W20 is specifies other grades as well up to 20W50!

Granted, this manual for 2011 model year, but I believe the U.S. Camry already specified 0W20 only in 2011. I did try to locate a copy of 2014 or 2015 Camry owners manual for markers other than U.S., but could not. Unlike Toyota.com in the U.S., Toyota.ca and Toyota Australia and well as Toyota.ru do not offer online owners manuals on their sites.

Perhaps there is someone on this forum from Europe or Australia with 2014 or 2015 Camry who can advise what oils are listed in their manual.

Originally Posted By: Buick8
My '08 Taurus company car has always had the oil changed according to the indicator, and had 5W20 put in at the quickie lube without my intervention. It's been 205,000 miles and it won't use a cup in 6000 miles. what are you worrying about?
Heck, it doesn't even drip on my driveway.

You must have dove 100% on the highway. Otherwise that's considered severe service and synthetic would only last 5k.

I'd question the judgement of running a 14 or 15 V6 Camry hard on the Autobahn with 0W 20 in it. Especially with the litle bit of extra the better Euro gas will allow. I uspect that car in Euro trim will do close to 140.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Best way to find that info is to go on an oil company's site's lube match for your car. Try this one:

http://lubematch.shell.com.au

I've been looking for exactly this. I looked up my 2013 Mustang GT Premium with the Coyote 5.0 in the US, Mexico and Canada. In the US and Canada it recommends 5W-20. In Mexico it recommends 5W-40. It's the same story for the F-150. If I could think of something else using the Coyote in Australia or Europe I would look that up too.

Thanks for posting this. Previously I had been going to the web sites of auto parts stores in Australia, Japan and Europe to try to find a match without much luck.

Is it an accepted rule that an Xw20 would not be up to the task of a few blasts at triple digit speeds? I doubt that most 'Camry' drivers do a sustained 130 mph anywhere, including the autobahn.

Last edited:
Oil temps determine high speed suitability... a couple minutes of WOT won't hurt, but sustained WOT at top speed would move oil temps up dramatically.

Then you find out if a 20 grade is capable...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
They also run significantly longer change intervals - but that's more a function of better oil not grade.

nfxKQB0.jpg

Have seen neither any OEM specify a 30W70, nor anyone here make such a recommendation.

Topic is actually about OEMs SPECIFYing a grade or two thicker in other markets.

Yeah, they used to call it 30W (and 40W), but got in trouble...now they just use the number no W.

Shell had a 25W70, which I used to prove here that it wasn't going to explode anything (not blowing up is proof positive of performance I hear)

I can see using an extremely thick oil to solve oil burning and blowby conditions. I'm going to have to do something on the Trans Am. But why not just add Lucas Oil Stabilizer to whatever?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, they used to call it 30W (and 40W), but got in trouble...now they just use the number no W.

Shell had a 25W70, which I used to prove here that it wasn't going to explode anything (not blowing up is proof positive of performance I hear)

Did you run 25w70 in one of your cars? For a full OCI?

If you're interested to see what oil companies recommend for different vehicles in Germany, the land of the world famous Autobahn, then google search for their oil change recommendations. Search for:

ölwegweiser (pick your brand of oil eg: Mobil, Castrol, Aral, etc)so you'd search "Ölwegweiser Castrol"

once you get the oil companies page select the "PKW" for Personenkraftwagen or imagine cars/light trucks.

Now just look for your vehicle or similar vehicle sold in Germany. You might get the USA and German recommendations so it's fascinating to compare the two.

I looked for a 2012 Honda Civic 1.8 liter vehicle on Valvoline Europes page. In USA they recommend 0W-20. In Germany it's 5W-30. I find it interesting to peruse the options.

Originally Posted By: Silk
We have no emission regulations in NZ, no reason for us to use a 5-20...unless it's cheaper than 15-40.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Engines are not the same. For emission purpose and drivibility they are most often tuned different. That doesnt mean they will not run just fine on heavier weight but i call B.S. that they are the same engines.

Same bearing diameters and lengths, same clearances, same pistons and rings, same thermostat operating temperatures...I call B.S. on the B.S.

Different advance curves and injector timing can't possibly change an oil grade requirement.

edit...sorry, the oil cap IS different between the US sold engines and the Australian ones...ours says "oil", or has a picture of an oil can...yours has a grade, and often it's an economy grade

Shannow's logic cannot be refuted.

Last edited:
The oil of choice for my Accords 2.4 in Germany is 5w30, if I were in Australia it would be 5w30-5w40. Shannow, do you even have 0w20 available over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back