MTV's "Pimp My Ride" Was Fake

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Justin Dearinger's Reddit AMA, he claimed that "they actually take out a lot of the stuff that they showed on TV," such as in his case,"drive-in theater." Further explaining to HuffPost, Dearinger said the theater was removed for not being street safe.
Seth Martino's car seemed to be particularly low quality. "There were plenty of things wrong with it," he told HuffPost, including television screens never working again after filming.
" Martino said. "They took the gull-wing doors off because the pistons used to lift them kept them from putting seat belts in the back, which was highly dangerous." A cotton candy machine they installed was fit into the trunk without leaving enough room for the dome top to keep the cotton candy strands "from flying all over the place."
"There wasn't much done under the hood in regards to the actual mechanics of the vehicle," according to Seth Martino. "For the most part, it needed a lot of work done to make it a functioning regular driver, which they did not do." Martino said he had a hard time even driving the car home. "They added a lot of extra weight but didn't adjust the suspension to compensate so I felt like I was in a boat, and every time I hit a bump the car would bottom out and the tires would scrape inside the wheel well." According to Martino, the car would only run for about a month. Then he had to save up his own money to replace the engine.
Less real was the famous freakouts of contestants jumping up and down when their pimped out car was revealed. All contestants spoken to ended up having to do multiple takes of their reaction, with Justin Dearinger explaining, "I guess I didn't show enough enthusiasm." The director specifically told him to "be more energetic and jump around and scream."
From watching the show, you might have thought that the vehicles were in the shop for about a weekend or even a week or two and then were given back to their owners. Not the case at all. At least for the contestants spoken to by HuffPost, the cars would actually be in the garage for about six to seven months, which obviously caused some problems.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/pimp-my-ride-cars_n_6663840.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

That show used to make me upset. The one I remember, had a dirt-bike girl who's Suburban they added a make-up station, with a flat-screen and a camera for a mirror. She looked super [censored]!

A buddy of mine worked at Galpin Ford when they were filming that show at GAS, he said they were all hacked up. There were some of them with parasitic draws so great that they needed to be jumped after sitting an hour.

I always thought something was fishy with Xibit's cheesy grin. But my favorite was the 24" rims prominently displaying the 9" drums, and the 9" un-vented rotors with single piston floating calipers. They rarely showed under the hood.

I don't watch those shows anyways, just like a lot of them reality shows on Discouvery and D-II, etc. are way too dramatic, if not faked in some ways...

I'd rather watch Nova on PBS instead.

Q.

Was the work shoddy? Yup. Was a large amount of work that *should* have been done simply ignored? Uh-huh. Did they coax exaggerated responses from the owners? Sure.

That's called a television show. Pimp My Ride is no more "fake" than Overhaulin', Extreme Home Makeover, or House Hunters.

If you want fake, you'll have to tune into Fox News! :rimshot:

Originally Posted By: Quest
I don't watch those shows anyways, just like a lot of them reality shows on Discouvery and D-II, etc. are way too dramatic, if not faked in some ways...

I'd rather watch Nova on PBS instead.

Q.

No surprise at all. MTV has become a joke and disgrace over the past
25 years. When they stopped featuring music 24/7 they should have pulled the plug. VH-1 is the same story.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

No surprise at all. MTV has become a joke and disgrace over the past
25 years. When they stopped featuring music 24/7 they should have pulled the plug. VH-1 is the same story.

I agree , that and getting involved in politics rather than staying focused on music.

"I put in ball joints and did your timing belt six months early. Your battery passed a load test and I added a sheepskin seat belt cover."

-- No episode, ever.

2a7a0_1310235.jpg

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
What? You mean that not everything on TV is real? No!
But EVERYTHING in the Huff&Puff is.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
"I put in ball joints and did your timing belt six months early. Your battery passed a load test and I added a sheepskin seat belt cover."

-- No episode, ever.

that would be from the new show coming to no network ever:

"We Fixed Your Car For Free" hosted by Ron Swanson.(not the actor Nick Offerman, his Character, Ron Swanson)

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
What? You mean that not everything on TV is real? No!

Once again, that reminds of :
Don't believe everything you see on TV - Thomas Jefferson, 1821 (can someone pls check and confirm the year?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back