Aftermarket brakes vs OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to replace the rear rotors and pads on the 2008 CRV. What are your thoughts on aftermarket vs OEM? Price wise as we all know OEM is more expensive.

Thanks

Akebono ProACTS, better than stock/OEM and I've been doing them on all the Hondas I serviced (incl. my own fit) for the past 6+yrs, better bite and durability than factory.

Q.

Like the others said, Akebono ProACT is a great choice that you will not regret.

For rotors, I'd suggest the Autopartsource premium rotors on eBay. Part #PR71340

They are made by Fremax in Brazil, the only non-Chinese rotors I know of that aren't outrageously priced. Plus, they're sold in pairs. You don't have to do any special cleaning or break-in with these rotors. just take them out of the tub and install them right in the car.

They are also sold under the name VGX Platinum, same part number.

Akebono pads + Fremax/VGX rotors = unbeatable combination of easy install and hassle free

Great recommendations for the Akebono pads. If you ever need to buy locally, Wearever Platinum from Advance auto is another great option. They frequently haven online coupons for $50 off $125 so you can buy pads, rotors and other things for a great price.

Unless your rotors are shot, ie. your worn out pads cut grooves in them, I wouldn't change them. There is no benefit to changing them, and the replacements probably won't perform as well. Everytime I have replaced a rotor it has led to warped rotors and brake shimmy. I have put over 250k on a vehicle on the original rotors with no issues.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Unless your rotors are shot, ie. your worn out pads cut grooves in them, I wouldn't change them. There is no benefit to changing them, and the replacements probably won't perform as well. Everytime I have replaced a rotor it has led to warped rotors and brake shimmy. I have put over 250k on a vehicle on the original rotors with no issues.
I think I agree with you, after replacing my rotors based on "brake pads & rotors" that I heard from mechanics, I have finally realized that my OEM rotors were perfectly fine.

I'm also replacing the parking brake shoes. I posted about them a while ago. This is the main reason why I would like to replace the rotors or is it necessary? We bought it certified used five years ago. One day the parking brake went to the floor. Checked the adjustment and the shoes are adjusted all the way out and are worn. They are not worn to the metal. If I could save money and replace the shoes only that would be awesome.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Akebono ProACTS, better than stock/OEM and I've been doing them on all the Hondas I serviced (incl. my own fit) for the past 6+yrs, better bite and durability than factory.

Q.

+1 on Akebono. I buy them for every vehicle I own. RockAuto has them. Second would be Wagner TQ.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Like the others said, Akebono ProACT is a great choice that you will not regret.

For rotors, I'd suggest the Autopartsource premium rotors on eBay. Part #PR71340

They are made by Fremax in Brazil, the only non-Chinese rotors I know of that aren't outrageously priced. Plus, they're sold in pairs. You don't have to do any special cleaning or break-in with these rotors. just take them out of the tub and install them right in the car.

Akebono pads + Fremax/VGX rotors = unbeatable combination of easy install and hassle free

What about Raybestos "Advanced Technology" brake pads, are those good too ? ?

This. I've got a shop by me that will resurface a pair of rotors for $10. Wish I had gone that way instead of replacing my OEM rear rotors.

Originally Posted By: sicko

This. I've got a shop by me that will resurface a pair of rotors for $10. Wish I had gone that way instead of replacing my OEM rear rotors.

Maybe. But the thickness between new rotors and no longer usable is not that much and often the rotors cannot be cut and still be usable. Few shops cut rotors as new rotors are not very expensive and they do not want the customer to need to come back because the rotors were not replaced.

If the rotors are in decent shape you can just wire brush them and reuse them.

[/quote]What about Raybestos "Advanced Technology" brake pads, are those good too ? ? [/quote]

I replaced the rotors and pads on my wife's previous Honda Accord (2004) with Raybestos Advanced Technology pads and rotors and was impressed and pleased. Mt wife really liked the improved bite and pedal feel and I liked that there was near zero dust. Very good investment for a Honda.

Originally Posted By: lizpat
Originally Posted By: tommygunn

What about Raybestos "Advanced Technology" brake pads, are those good too ? ?

There are probably many other quality brake pads out there. I really do not have time to determine what are good brake pads and what are not. I know Akebono is among the best (for street cars) and the price is reasonable.

Replace the rotors with Centric rotors. Forget about having the OEM rotors turned. Akebono pads would also be my choice. Clean and lube the pins with Syl-Glyde or other products. Some Permatex products sold for brake lube will deteriorate EPDM boots.

I have never used OEM pads in the 18 years I have driven/ worked on my cars.
I am happy with the Brakemotive (Powerstop) ceramic pads that came with my calipers. They grab hard and are quiet with no discernible dusting as of yet. I would seriously consider their pads and rotors on all four corners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back