Heard a new one towards the Fram hate today ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday a customer at work told me that Fram oil filters lower the engines compression, and that we are dumb for doing that to customers engines, etc etc... ((That's the new one, wasn't aware an oil filter affected compression, LOL!)

(Even funnier is that she brought an autolite oil filter for us to put on, and it's the exact same filter, just white...)

Couldn't really get in too much of an argument with her, because you know, the customer is always right
smirk.gif

Just one of those funny stories at work that I figured only Bitog people would find funny
grin.gif

Were there pink eyelashes on the headlights of said customer's vehicle?

equal rights for oil filters will be on the agenda soon, this blatant racism must stop.

I think maybe the lady is mechanically challenged and just didn't understand what someone told her about Fram filters. I used them for years on Honda and Toyota vehicles and never had a problem. I think all the talk about one filter being better than another is just many opinions without much evidence to back up the claims. A defect like we have seen with Purolators of late I understand.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Please tell me you changed her blinker fluid and rotated her wiper blades........

No, but she was missing the "710" cap and he installed a new one.

Just use Pennzoil conventional to sludge the engine back up and the compression will be fine!

(I am kidding of course, just using another common myth in the motor oil industry that has long since been proven otherwise)

A few things come to mind about this:

1- caveat emptor
2- a fool and her money are soon parted
3- carpe filtre (sieze the filter lest is sieze you engine?)

Originally Posted By: redhat
Were there pink eyelashes on the headlights of said customer's vehicle?

I see these things on women's cars about 5 or 6 times a month, and I just shake my head, laughing.but, I've never seen pink -- only black.can. tire sells these goofy things for about 25 bucks, tax in.
how sad are the people that buy these eyelashes .....

Hello, I don't think they're sad. I'm pretty sure they don't realistically value money.
Maybe they thought the ones they saw was cool and wanted one. Copy cats.
Maybe it was their foray into arts & crafts. Sadly limited.

Sorta better than the American flags I see in the gutter all the time.
MICSYDN (pronounced mic-SI'-den)
Made In China Stuff You Don't Need. Kira

Ok guys. For the sake of arguments, I am going to take the other side of this discussion.

First, give the lady a little bit of credit. She did know that her vehicle had an oil filter. I bet many of them don't.
Second, she know that one of them had the name Fram. And like it or not, she did not want it to lower her compression. Another plus in my book. Bet my wife does not have a clue about compression.
Third, she brought her vehicle to a shop for an oil change because either she is single or her man friend or husband is too busy to change it. She values maintenance. Another plus in my book.

Now her stock did go down in my book because she was/is too lazy to get under the car and look around, take off her non-Fram filter, and remove an oil pan bolt. And of course could not bother to put new stuff on.

But all in all, her positives outweigh the negative.

I hope you treated her well. I hope you topped off all her fluids, and checked her tire pressures as well. And if she got lucky, a quick vacuum of the carpets.

And lastly, I hope you got paid for doing it.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Ok guys. For the sake of arguments, I am going to take the other side of this discussion.

First, give the lady a little bit of credit. She did know that her vehicle had an oil filter. I bet many of them don't.
Second, she know that one of them had the name Fram. And like it or not, she did not want it to lower her compression. Another plus in my book. Bet my wife does not have a clue about compression.
Third, she brought her vehicle to a shop for an oil change because either she is single or her man friend or husband is too busy to change it. She values maintenance. Another plus in my book.

Now her stock did go down in my book because she was/is too lazy to get under the car and look around, take off her non-Fram filter, and remove an oil pan bolt. And of course could not bother to put new stuff on.

But all in all, her positives outweigh the negative.

I hope you treated her well. I hope you topped off all her fluids, and checked her tire pressures as well. And if she got lucky, a quick vacuum of the carpets.

And lastly, I hope you got paid for doing it.

Agree 100%. Hard to find a woman that know the an oil filter named "Fram" and "compression" on top of it.

If she knew what compression was, she wouldn't have blamed the filter.
crackmeup2.gif

She was dumb (her word) for wanting a clone put right back on her engine. Sure she is a woman, but shame on her as the consumer for being ill informed. Its lovely working for the public..

I don't know the lady and I am generalizing, but she was probably parroting what her husband/ boyfriend/ dad/ father in law once said.

Last edited:
OP What kind of job do you have where you sell oil filters in a kitchen....?
crackmeup2.gif

Just kidding ladies, nothing but love and respect

...or, her man or husband is either too lazy or too mechanically ignorant himself to change it.
My wife is not and will never be either a gearhead or a shade tree wrench, like her husband, but she would know that an oil filter cannot have any effect on engine compression.
She also knows that I now eschew Purolator branded filters and still refrains from calling me stupid for having stocked up on them in years past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back