is maxlife ATF really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Wrong. I seen it when we took the sample.

Seen what, ground up bits of gasket?

You are reaching just a bit aren't you?

I believe that it could be a 50/50 chance between the
MaxLife ATF being defective, a manufacturing defect in the
transmission itself or a combination of both.

My personal viewpoint is that the MaxLife ATF may have been slightly out of spec and the transmission had components that were slight out of tolerance the two faults combined added up to a serious failure.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

You are reaching just a bit aren't you?

It's much more of a reach to say a fluid from a major manufacturer instantly ruined a transmission.

Again more probable explanations.

1. Improper filter gasket.
2. Filter Gasket got damaged.
3. Filter gasket got sucked in by pump.
4. Filter pickup tube was cracked and sucked air.
5. Some contaminant was introduced into pan.
6. Wrong or defective filter.
7. Something got damaged when pan was off.

Again more probable explanations.

1. Improper filter gasket.
2. Filter Gasket got damaged.
3. Filter gasket got sucked in by pump.
4. Filter pickup tube was cracked and sucked air.
5. Some contaminant was introduced into pan.
6. Wrong or defective filter.
7. Something got damaged when pan was off.

1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Extremely unlikely.
5. No.
6. No.
7. No.

No. Suitable for re-use.

Wrong. I seen it when we took the sample.

Seen what, ground up bits of gasket?

All hail DoubleWasp, king of the Maxlife fanboys!!
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
2005 Isuzu NPR HD - 88k miles on Maxlife - no issues
2003 Isuzu NPR HD - 86k miles on MaxLife - no issues
2007 Isuzu NPR HD - 81k miles on MazLife - no issues
2004 Isuzu NPR HD - 83k miles on MaxLife - no issues
2002 Isuzu NPR HD - 86k miles on MaxLife - no issues
1999 Isuzu NPR HD - 90k miles on MaxLife - no issues
2002 Chevy Express 3500 - 141k miles on MaxLife - no issues
1992 Chevy Caprice (700r4) - 37k on MaxLife - no issues
2007 Lincoln Navigator - 22k on MaxLife - cured converter shudder - no issues

Use it in all power steering that calls for ATF too, less noise, no issues.

From another thread but is applicable to this entire forum:

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
It would be wise for anyone seeking advice here to realize that most replies are coming from some-guy-on-the-internet whose knowledge of motor oil comes mostly from reading the information on this site, which was written by some-other-guy-on-the-internet.

Fact: I had a transmission failure with MaxLife in the system. I know far more about the situation than any of you could ever hope to know. I choose to blame the fluid. Right or wrong that is my opinion and there is absolutely nothing fanboys of the product could say that would ever change my mind.

The title of this thread is, "Is MaxLife THAT good?" I say it's not. Then the fanboys rush in and say, "no issues", "eats it up", "she loves it"... Not one iota of scientific fact.

How about one of you fanboys provide evidence that MaxLife is indeed THAT good? How about you king DoubleWasp? turtlevette?

From Ashland: "...it should be noted that MaxLife ATF is not a OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife ATF in these applications."

Wow! Good stuff!

Last edited:
^^^While I agree that there is a bit of 'piling on' going on here, the exact same logic used above also applies to a single person and his one bad story about ML ATF.

FWIW I like the stuff also, but am always wary of 'one size fits all" fluids, especially in newer cars...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
but am always wary of 'one size fits all" fluids

yup, this guy learned ML is not "one size fits all"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3646019/Re:_Maintenance_Mystery:__Tran#top

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^While I agree that there is a bit of 'piling on' going on here, the exact same logic used above also applies to a single person and his one bad story about ML ATF.

FWIW I like the stuff also, but am always wary of 'one size fits all" fluids, especially in newer cars...

I agree. I've had good results with it in my 00 Century, and plan on using it in the M5OD transmission in my E-150. Having said that there is no way I would use anything but ATF+4 in my Jeep Liberty.

How about one of you fanboys provide evidence that MaxLife is indeed THAT good? How about you king DoubleWasp? turtlevette?

I don't necessarily care for it (Maxlife ATF) either as I don't like the strong smell. I took the gallons I bought on sale back to Autozone.

Every post I make here has nothing to do with alliances and who I'm friends with. It's based on logic and science. I'm pointing out that an automatic transmission is a complicated and fragile device and there are many ways for a layman to cause himself problems. My vette sometimes freewheels between gears. You have to get off the throttle immediately to avoid damage. I'm not convinced you did that. You continued to drive and beat on a transmission that obviously had a problem and burned it up. Don't tell me otherwise as I remember your writeup.

Why didn't you get a failure diagnosis from the rebuilder?

That works both ways. How about you evidence that it made your transmission fail? Every time anyone asks for that all we get is "don't go there", or "you don't want to open that can of worms", etc. Lmao what a joke.

You completely discredit yourself just by the constant use of "fanboy" against anyone who dares to ask you for proof. Irrelevancy at its best.

Fact: I had a transmission failure with MaxLife in the system. I know far more about the situation than any of you could ever hope to know. I choose to blame the fluid. Right or wrong that is my opinion and there is absolutely nothing fanboys of the product could say that would ever change my mind.

The title of this thread is, "Is MaxLife THAT good?" I say it's not. Then the fanboys rush in and say, "no issues", "eats it up", "she loves it"... Not one iota of scientific fact.

From Ashland: "...it should be noted that MaxLife ATF is not a OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife ATF in these applications."

Wow! Good stuff!

Wow! Good stuff!

Now that is pretty sleazy, it would be nearly impossible to file a damage claim against Ashland due to this disclaimer.

Even if the product is OK, and suitable for use in an application I would never use it based on this statement.

I do know that sometime back on a thread here it was asked if
MaxLife ATF was suitable for use in newer Honda/Acura applications which require DW-1 fluid...someone here contacted Ashland customer service via their 800 number and the CSR stated that yes, Ashland states it is suitable for use in that application but that the
bottles and PDS have not been updated to indicate that fact....well that was at least one year or more ago, and if you look at the current bottles and US PDS NEITHER say that the product is
suitable for use with DW-1 applications. It makes me question
Ashland's claims in other applications as well.

Last edited:
Now that is pretty sleazy,

Then they're all sleazy. Mobil, Redline, BP, Costal....etc. have multivehicle ATF too.

The differences between fluids is small. Many run type F in GM transmissions to get slightly harder shifts. So what? It ain't gonna cause failure.

Now that is pretty sleazy,

Then they're all sleazy. Mobil, Redline, BP, Costal....etc. have multivehicle ATF too.

The differences between fluids is small. Many run type F in GM transmissions to get slightly harder shifts. So what? It ain't gonna cause failure.

That's the goal, right? To keep our vehicles running as long as possible without expensive repairs.

Except I can't find a disclaimer for other major brands like I did for Ashland.
happy2.gif
20.gif

Are you working for Ashland or their social media group?

Are you working for Ashland or their social media group?

You've seen my other posts. You think I work for an oil company?

I'm not a fan of "the man". Are you and oil changer partners?

You've seen my other posts. You think I work for an oil company?

I'm not a fan of "the man". Are you and oil changer partners?

I asked you if you worked for a social media company?

No I have no connection with OC, I just agree with his viewpoint.

[/quote]

Last edited:
I will tell you otherwise because you are wrong. From the original thread (which I linked to this thread):

"I was driving the van. I merged from one freeway to another. All seemed well. When I went to accelerate back up to speed, it was like driving a manual and pushing the clutch in while still on the accelerator. I let off the pedal and re-applied. Nothing but RPM. I exited the freeway, pulled over and checked the fluid. It was almost black and had that nauseating burnt smell. I nursed it back home - slowly. I lost third and overdrive."

I did not have the original transmission torn down because it was cheaper and faster to just install a remanufactured transmission. That information is also in the original thread.

So convince yourself into whatever you want.

I'm not convinced you did that. You continued to drive and beat on a transmission that obviously had a problem and burned it up. Don't tell me otherwise as I remember your writeup.

Why didn't you get a failure diagnosis from the rebuilder?

Finally, someone with good results. So you can post your UOA's on the fluid that was in the transmission prior to MaxLife that established your baseline followed by a string of UOA's on MaxLife that depict the trend of less wear? Or is this just another case where as far as you know have "no issue" and your transmission "loves it"?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I've had good results with it in my 00 Century,...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back