Anybody have feedback on Pirelli P4's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I know Pirelli has some newer models but the P4 is rated for 85K and always seemed to do well in surveys. Does anybody have any experience with them?

I do and love them! They are one the best, if not the best tires that I have ever owned. What vehicle and tire size???

I have them on the Altima in my signature in 205-65-16 and I actually use them strictly for the winter months. I put them on in lat OCT early NOV and take them off in late May after I've used the car for travel.

Then I install my Summer 17" wheels/tires(Cooper CS4's). If you want more specifics about the P4's, PM me and I can tell you lots!

The Mazda3 in my signature(daughters car) has the P7's A/S+ for Summers and AltiMAX Arctic for Winter.

Ask away!

depends on priorities, I usually prefer more traction and handling and that rarely is a tire with over 60000mi warranty.

I was happy with a set of P4s I had on an '04 Chevy (Malibu) Classic for three years and 30K miles. Can't speak to treadlife, since I traded in the car before the tires had a chance to wear down.

Pros:

Price if you wait for the right deal.

Combination of smooth ride/handling. This is where the P4 really shines. Maybe the best such combo I have ridden on, for an ordinary sedan-type ride. When you turn, you know you are turning---but on a flat highway it's quite smooth. Thumbs way up here.

Winter traction. Well-above average for an A/S the first two winters and above average the third winter. Not quite as good as the Hankook H727, (especially in "slush") but a close second among A/S tires I have used in winter.

Wet traction: Very good in heavy rain that runs off the roadway, but be careful when driving through deep puddles. The grooves in the P4 are not as deep as in some other tires. (Might be just personal observation but I suspect it's true.)

Dry traction: Excellent. See "ride/handling" above. This presumes close to normal driving on a standard-type vehicle. It's not a performance tire, if that's what you want. I believe the H-rated version of the P4 was discontinued, in fact.

Cons:

Fuel economy: Not terrible, but I took just enough of a hit to notice when the P4s were installed. Might have been the new tire-factor, but it stayed like that for 30K miles.

Warranty: Note that Pirelli requires rotations every 4K miles to maintain treadlife warranty. That's the most severe rotation requirement I know of.

Manufacture: As of 2009, when my set was installed, some P4s were made in China, if that's a concern. Three of the four tires in my set were made in Brazil, the fourth in China. Guess which one of the four picked up a nail and a slow leak, then wore down more than the others....might have been a coincidence.

I think of the P4 and the H727 as first cousins. They have much in common. The P4s lean a hair more toward performance and handling, giving up a wee bit of winter traction and ride comfort. (though the ride is quite smooth, the H727 is even better.)

The H727 sacrifices a bit of handling and wet traction to provide stellar winter traction and ride comfort for its class and price point.

Can't have everything....but yes, I recommend the P4 for most drivers and applications---especially if it's on sale.

I would highly recommend the P4. I used to have them on a Toyota Camry that I sold about a year ago to my brother. They had excellent dry, wet and pretty good snow traction. Handling was great. I can't speak much about tread life but currently they have about 30,000 miles on them since being installed September 2011 and are still in excellent condition. I have been considering getting them for my current car when it needs new tires.

Its a good tire not as good as Goodyear Triple Tread, I had it on my Corolla and if you get it dirt cheap go for it or else I recommend General Altimax RT43. The P4's wet traction is above average imho!

My dad has a set on his van. They have over 20k and still have 9/32" left!

With that said, they're a little low on traction for my tastes. Especially in the wet....compared to my set of Premier A/S.

They do have a P4 Plus out now.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...just what I was looking for...I may buy a set for my Corolla.

What size?

I believe that the P4s only have 2center grooves in 195 mm or 205 mm and upward. Below that mm, they're only single groove in the center. IDK if it actually matters, just bringing it up.

And keep in mind too, there are new P4 A/S Plus...low rollong resistance(LRR) or ECO compared to the previous P4's. And the new PLUS are also lighter in weight.

The P4s are NOT snow tires! I can say this after having to drive in light snow yesterday. Slip-sliding all over the place. I've never been so nervous drving in snow. The worn-out Michelins I had previously did better in the snow than the nearly new P4s.

I would say, if you will have to deal with snow, don't get the P4s.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The P4s are NOT snow tires! I can say this after having to drive in light snow yesterday. Slip-sliding all over the place. I've never been so nervous drving in snow. The worn-out Michelins I had previously did better in the snow than the nearly new P4s.

I would say, if you will have to deal with snow, don't get the P4s.

Is this on the Saturn in your signature?

Yeah, no vehicle or tire size is going to react the same. Most of the reviews of the P4 mimic my experience in the snow. Mine is very good but, I will agree with you, the P4's are not snow tires!

And sometimes, we experience that really greasy snow/ice/slush texture that causes just about any tire/vehicle to loose traction.

But, for an A/S tire in my experience, they're one if not the best A/S tire that I have ever used in the winter! It could be my tire size on my particular vehicle etc.!

I have talked to numerous vehicle owners all with different brand vehicles using P4's year'round here in the north east and, they're experience is similar to my own. Sorry to hear that your experience is less so!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Yeah, no vehicle or tire size is going to react the same. Most of the reviews of the P4 mimic my experience in the snow. Mine is very good but, I will agree with you, the P4's are not snow tires!

And sometimes, we experience that really greasy snow/ice/slush texture that causes just about any tire/vehicle to loose traction.

But, for an A/S tire in my experience, they're one if not the best A/S tire that I have ever used in the winter! It could be my tire size on my particular vehicle etc.!

I have talked to numerous vehicle owners all with different brand vehicles using P4's year'round here in the north east and, they're experience is similar to my own. Sorry to hear that your experience is less so!

Yes, they are on the Saturn. 195/60r15 all four corners. I was completely in love with the P4s until this snow. They were better than the factory Firestones and the Michelins in dry and rain by a long shot. I thought the P4s were going to be "the" tire. Now I'm not so sure.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Man, Pirelli sure is tempting!! not seen the P4 here just the P7 Plus.

We have both! Though both have great hydroplaning resistance I think that the old(er) P4's are better in wet hard cornering than the P7 but, the P7's may be even better in the snow. Thing is, they're on two different vehicles and in different sizes so, it's not a fair comparison.

Sort of late to the thread but I have the P4s on my Saturn Sl2. Bought at 165K. Car currently has 220K on it, and snow tires have only been on for the last 4K or so. P4s are at 5/32nds or 6/32nds. Great tire IMO. Obviously an Sl2 with all seasons is not the epitome of snow performance but they served very well. If I was buying tires today for the Saturn, the CS5s and RT43s might be higher on my list because of rebates but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the P4s again.

P7s going on our Cobalt this spring... looking forward to those as well.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Yes, they are on the Saturn. 195/60r15 all four corners. I was completely in love with the P4s until this snow. They were better than the factory Firestones and the Michelins in dry and rain by a long shot. I thought the P4s were going to be "the" tire. Now I'm not so sure.

Still can't beat the Cooper CS4 for poor snow performance! I had the misfortune of driving on a set of new CS4s in the snow. Wow! Could turn pretty well but there was zero traction trying to slow down or speed up.

I was looking at the P4 because they seem to have a lot better treadwear. The price per mile was higher than what I ended up buying.

Again, this is vehicle dependent, as I do know several folks with the Cooper CS4's(discontinued) ...Pontiac GP, 'Yoda Camry & Chrysler LHS...and they love'em in the snow! All happen to be V6's!

IDK, I only use my CS4's in the summer. And, CR Mag tire test, didn't give the CS4's a good snow/ice score!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back