Questions about the Quality Field

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current line of work has me running a global program of partners and auditing customers. With this I've really taken an interest in the quality field. Auditing to improve quality and overall running the quality system.

I am preparing to go back to school in a strictly online (online is mandatory due to my schedule) environment, but I am unsure of what degree line to target for this field. I did find a Bachelor of Science in Quality Assurance, seems right on target, but the lack of offering of this type of degree has me a little leery. The only 100% online option I found is -quality-assurance.aspx]California National University which seems like a decent place, but they are not ABET. A friend took an Engineering program with them and was happy with the results and his employer (very very large name brand company) approved him for tuition reimbursement even though they are not ABET. The other few options are either online/on-site or on-site only.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough for a quality focused degree program.

Any insight on a program to move forward with? Anyone else with experiences at CNU?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: racer12306
My current line of work has me running a global program of partners and auditing customers. With this I've really taken an interest in the quality field. Auditing to improve quality and overall running the quality system.

I am preparing to go back to school in a strictly online (online is mandatory due to my schedule) environment, but I am unsure of what degree line to target for this field. I did find a Bachelor of Science in Quality Assurance, seems right on target, but the lack of offering of this type of degree has me a little leery. The only 100% online option I found is -quality-assurance.aspx]California National University which seems like a decent place, but they are not ABET. A friend took an Engineering program with them and was happy with the results and his employer (very very large name brand company) approved him for tuition reimbursement even though they are not ABET. The other few options are either online/on-site or on-site only.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough for a quality focused degree program.

Any insight on a program to move forward with? Anyone else with experiences at CNU?

Thanks

Are you a member of ASQ? Gaining certification in auditing (CQA) or quality management (CQM/OE) would be a good thing and does not require getting a degree. I believe some colleges are also offering Six Sigma Black Belt programs.

I am not a member of ASQ. I'll look into those classifications.

I do currently hold ISO9001 Lead Auditor status but am not a part of any organization.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the QA Engineers with my company are mostly Chem or Mechanical Engineers by degree. Some worked their way up degree-less. They do have to go through all sorts of off-site training once in the department though, given we're under FDA jurisdiction.

Last edited:
I am not a member of ASQ. I'll look into those classifications.

I do currently hold ISO9001 Lead Auditor status but am not a part of any organization.

I should also add what JTK pointed out, almost all the QA auditors and engineers in our company (aerospace) were some typical engineering degree (ME, Mat Sci, IE, etc.) out of college. I don't think anyone in our company has/had a QE degree. All of them do join ASQ though and become certified.

I happen to be a Quality Director for a major US Steel producer. My education is Chemical Engineering. We have been looking at Engineering Management candidates for Quality Engineering positions. The degree will open doors but not necessarily help as much as the engineering discipline in problem solving and understanding. ASQ has some really great training that most are 1 week or less.

I am not a member of ASQ.

This is what I was going to ask too. My wife got her certification about ten years ago and it opened some doors for her. She spent years as a quality engineer but after taking the test and becoming a member of ASQ she is now the boss of a team of QE's. Without a doubt worth looking into.

Thank you to everyone for your input.

I looked into the ASQ Certification/Membership. Seems everyone can be a member for a fee and then it opens you up to a number of resources. However to actually achieve CQA or CMQ/OE status, you need 8 or 10 years of experience and pass a test. With the right training, I'm sure the test is no problem, but the experience is a problem now. A degree does knock off some of those years of experience. The trainings appear brief, however since this would be funded by my pocket, they are a little costly.

I did leave out that I have an A.A.S. in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I've held ISO Lead Auditor status for 3 years. I've performed quality system audits for the ATEX and IECEx (European and Global Potentially Explosive Environment) Certification schemes and performed factory inspections for 7 years for a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory and Certification Body. I've officially managed (aka by title, did so before I got the title) the global inspection program for one year.

Right now I feel if I want to do something else, I need a B.S. in something. I like what I do, but I see the ceiling and I'm way too young (30) to hit my ceiling.

The course listing for this degree program looks interesting and seems like it covers quality elements well, even introduces 6S practices. http://cnuas.edu/Online-Programs/Course-...ce-science.aspx

Edit: Looks like the BITOG censor is too good and it's censoring the abbreviation for Bachelor of Science in the hyperlink.
For anyone interested in looking: http://cnuas.edu/
Then under the Online Programs bar and College of Quality and Engineering Management, it's the first link, Online Bachelor of Quality Assurance Science.

Last edited:
I haven't been told that but it seems that way. I get an annual increase but it's not substantial.

The majority of other positions worth having at this company require a degree. So I either sit around and wait for something to open up that I could do as is, or drive my own ship.

I hear you. I know a lady that needed a masters degree for her next promotion even though she already had the necessary knowledge and experience.

Many companies are this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back