Ford 302 Coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 302 Coyote in a F150 with 500 miles. Any advice on which oils are working well with this engine? And when would be a good time to drop the oil and put full synthetic in ???

8qt sump? Is this truck worked? If not, no need for a fake synthetic that meets same ILSAC spec - unless you want to go off the grid with an A3/B4 LL German or French true synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
8qt sump? Is this truck worked? If not, no need for a fake synthetic that meets same ILSAC spec - unless you want to go off the grid with an A3/B4 LL German or French true synthetic.

I am sorry I am not up to date on those foreign oils. Could you be more specific on brands?

It does have an 8 at sump. And it will be worked somewhat off and on towing.

Last edited:
PYB 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter.

There's a lot of timing chain in that engine, I would make sure to always use an oil with generous amounts of detergents.

As long as it meets WSS-M2C945-A you should be good to go. Stick with the Motorcraft filter, none of the others that cross-reference to a FL500S have a thread end bypass.

Originally Posted By: KonaMustangGT
As long as it meets WSS-M2C945-A you should be good to go. Stick with the Motorcraft filter, none of the others that cross-reference to a FL500S have a thread end bypass.

+1 - Whatever your favorite oil is that meets the OEM spec and the required OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
PYB 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter.

There's a lot of timing chain in that engine, I would make sure to always use an oil with generous amounts of detergents.

That is what worries me about technology. I think an I4 SOHC is ok, but four cams IS a good bit of chain. That is where I would put my money-on the chain.

Scot: My opinion is change the FF close to the 1K mile mark. You can pour in synthetic at any time. Many new engines come with a so called synthetic all ready in the oil pan from the factory.

Any name brand synthetic will serve your Coyote well. I would keep using a Motorcraft oil filter.

I also have this engine in a 2014 Mustang GT and I run Motorcraft 5W-20 and the Motorcraft FL500s filter. I also didn't change the FF until 4,600 miles.

I don't think it will matter which oil you use. Use what you like and have had good luck with.

Wayne

2013 Mustang GT here as well with the same 5.0 and mine runs great on the Motorcraft 5w20 simi synthetic with FL 500 filter. I was going to run Mobil 1 or Amsoil but I just don't see any reason to do so. The Motorcraft oil runs fine and when I look down the oil fill with a flashlight it is extremely clean in there. Also the Motorcraft oil is reasonable.

Come on Arco.....QS Defy 10W-30 or 10W-40.
smile.gif
I'd probably start off with QSGB 5W-30 with the Motorcraft filter, 5K OCI's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys, but has anyone actually had their oil analyzed using the 302 coyote?

The "seems to work" replys does not help ?

I believe there are a couple of Coyote UOA's in that section...and I agree with the rec. for Motorcraft 5W-20 and a MC filter. They are excellent products 'designed' for your new Ford.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
2013 Mustang GT here as well with the same 5.0 and mine runs great on the Motorcraft 5w20 simi synthetic with FL 500 filter. I was going to run Mobil 1 or Amsoil but I just don't see any reason to do so. The Motorcraft oil runs fine and when I look down the oil fill with a flashlight it is extremely clean in there. Also the Motorcraft oil is reasonable.

I just changed the oil in my 2014 Mustang GT and it had 6,660 miles on this oil change and looking down into the oil fill hole, it is spotless with no varnish that I can see. I'm going to continue to run Motorcraft in this car unless I find out otherwise that it is not up to the task.

Wayne

motorcraft oil is excellent. that Coyote will run forever using the motorcraft oil. Any oil meeting the factory spec will work well. You really cannot go wrong with any name brand oil in the right grade. Everyone has their own favorite oil, but they all perform well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back