AMSOIL AND A 2014 CHEVY SILVERADO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
OE meets the SA requirements Dexos1. Maybe you mixed that part up.

Yet when one goes to the Amsoil site, and types in "Dexos"

http://www.amsoil.com/Search.aspx?q=dexos

You get Page 1 of 3
* Signature Series (*)
* Extended Life
* European Formula
* "Cutting through confusion .... LOL..OE not on the first page

Quote:
Two lubricants recommended for the same specification (API SN, for example) do not necessarily provide equal performance and protection, however. Lubricants meeting the specification requirements have only met the minimum performance requirements, leaving room for significant differences in performance. For example, API SN and ILSAC GF-5 require weight lost due to volatility to be no greater than 15 percent. While some oils may barely meet the requirement, AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ASL), for example, demonstrates only 6.9 percent weight loss due to volatility, offering better performance. Those who demand the highest possible performance should dig deeper into each lubricant’s typical technical properties to find the one that offers the best performance.

Reinforcing my view on what tests are ACTUALLY done in the meets/exceeds.

Page 2 and 3 of the "dexos" search become

* VER PÁGINA 25 VER PÁGINA 18
* CHANGE OIL LESS OFTEN.
* Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil Data Bulletins Pack of 25

And becomes page 2 of 2...???

So where would the casual researcher of Dexos requirements reading their manual be directed ?

(*)
Quote:
Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1™ sulfated ash specifications.

i.e. a clearly non compliant oil...

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Originally Posted By: zpinch
“Do 2011 GM vehicle owners have to use a dexos-licensed product?” No. You can use any product that meets dexos specifications. They are not required to use a GM-licensed product. GM has chosen to grant licenses only to companies that pay them a substantial fee. Some oil companies have chosen to make a product that meets the same standards as a licensed product without adding an unnecessary administrative cost to the product that consumers would be forced to pay. So long as the oil manufacturer warrants that the motor oil meets dexos specifications, it’s acceptable to use it.

Federal law prohibits a manufacturer from requiring the use of a specific brand in order to maintain warranty coverage. The FTC recently issued a consumer alert to remind consumers that the automaker or dealer must prove a given product caused the need for repairs rather than denying warranty coverage on the basis of the product simply being used.

It is also worth noting that GM itself has acknowledged alternative engine oils may be used if dexos is unavailable. Owners manuals for 2011 GM cars state: “In the event that dexos-approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W30 viscosity grade. Use of oils that do not meet the dexos specification, however, may result in reduced performance under certain circumstances.”

Your quote from the 2011 owners manual is 5 years out of date. The 2014+ manuals do not contain ANY of that language. No API references. No substitutions. No alternatives.

Direct from GM: "Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles."

See my previous posts.

How do you know the term "Approved" is legal language giving them the right to forfeit your warranty out of hand? They have to PROVE it caused damage; innocent until 'proven' guilty.

I have had the feeling since the Mobil 1 PAO production got hit by Katrina that Amsoil started using SOPUS as a supplier for their base stocks.
The PDS for Ultra and then SS were so close it would be splitting hairs.

They probably did a little rework and mixing of grades but not enough to talk about.
IMHO its quite possible they are not much more than a rebottler at this point, i am not saying that is the case just my own feeling on it.

That would certainly give them cause to make claims though as the base product does meet those specs. No way will we ever know that unless Ed Snowden worked for Amsoil. LOL

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot-1_1.png

Some people will never get it, no matter what is presented to them.
Once they put the tin foil lined Amsoil cap on its all over, nothing is getting through. LOL

Originally Posted By: zpinch
They have to PROVE it caused damage; innocent until 'proven' guilty.

No it sits parked until you prove otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Some people will never get it, no matter what is presented to them.
Once they put the tin foil lined Amsoil cap on its all over, nothing is getting through. LOL

Tin foil amsoil cap

Someone told me never to drink the kool-aid at an Amsoil conference...maybe they wern't kidding...
50.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636

Someone told me never to drink the kool-aid at an Amsoil conference...maybe they wern't kidding...

Too bad someone didn't warn you about the MMO and Purolator Kool-Aid.

Ed

If Amsoil would just get the Dexos 1 approval, I would run it in both of my GM vehicles, but until that happens, I will only use a Dexos 1 approved oil. In my case, Mobil 1 5W30 in my CTS-V and AC Delco Synthetic Blend 0W20 in the 2015 Escalade. Cadillac dealer pays for oil changes for both vehicles for 4 years/50,000 miles, but I would pay and run Amsoil if it were Dexos 1 approved.

Last edited:
I'm kind of sorry I even brought up the AMSOIL thing. Now for something completely unrelated. Back in the 90s when GM first came out with the 100000 between tune-up deal, we had a customer that thought that also meant 100K between oil changes. She brought in her car with approximately 102000 on it. Car was towed in with a seized motor. We then found out what happened. This Pontiac made it 102K on the original fill. Not to bad ey?

Originally Posted By: delasueno
She brought in her car with approximately 102000 on it. Car was towed in with a seized motor. We then found out what happened. This Pontiac made it 102K on the original fill. Not to bad ey?

Yup. Talk about a lifetime fluid.
smile.gif

WHoooooa horsey. Have we forgotten the business aspect? Dealerships don't make money by denying warranties and ticking off car owners. I would argue that customer "A" comes in: Suspected spun Main Bearing. The engine is taken apart, nice and clean, no sludge, oil was full, no apparent neglect. Warranty honored...no questions. (Remember, dealerships get paid for warranty work)

Customer "B" same diagnosis, Engine full of sludge, 1.5 qt low on oil..There may be some questions about maintenance schedules.

Dealerships make money on warranty work. Good warranty work produces returning car buyers. With all except the obvious , I don't think using a non DEXOS approved oil is going to create a warranty issue unless you are a customer "B" and don't maintain your vehicle. And there are plenty of good oils out there that don't carry the DEXOS1 Logo. An example would be Kendall GT-1 FS 5w-30. It clearly has 1.02 SA on PDS. Kendall has marketed a separate DEXOS1 with almost identical specs..w/o titanium, but with .92% SA So would the version with Titanium be a lesser quality oil or a warranty issue??? I doubt it.

Car dealerships vary in truthfulness. Some are great, while others will try to scare the (OOPS) out of you to get you to use their services and products exclusively.

You need to do what feels comfortable for you and allows you to sleep well.

Regardless of what your choice of oil, follow a reasonable change schedule and call it a day.

JMHO

I am sure the OP will be fine running Amsoil, keep your receipts for oil and filter purchases. You can even run extended drain intervals, so long as you practice UOA at reasonable intervals. However, I would not run extended drains until the truck is past ~10,000 miles. (Break-in waste, run short OCI)

-Maintain proper fill levels
-Keep ALL receipts for oil and filter purchases (and/or):
-practice UOA from a reputable lab

Like BrianC said, you will more than likely be fine in the rare event (blue moon) that your trucks engine failed, as the failure would almost certainly be not oil related, and they would have to prove it was... if it was.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: zuluplus30

Per the 2014 Silverado Owners Manual:

SAE 0W-20 is the best viscosity grade for the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines.

Interesting. The 6.2 in my 2014 Camaro calls for 5W-30. The 5.3 in my 2007 Tahoe calls for 5W-30.

Question: Why dexos1 0W-20 engine oil?

Answer: The new 5.3L and 6.2L V8 EcoTec3 engines available in the new 2014 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 trucks are the most fuel efficient and technologically advanced engines in the market. These engines feature an advanced combustion system that maximizes the potential of the direct injection (DI) fuel system, active fuel management (AFM), variable valve timing (VVT), two stage oil pumps and other technologies. The dexos1 0W-20 oil supports these technologies and is an enabler for the engines’ improved fuel economy performance.

Well everyone, I put the Amsoil 0w20 in my truck yesterday and just as I suspected....nothing happened. My engine didn't seize up or run funny. It runs pretty smooth. I'll pull an oil sample once I finish running this oil through its course. Stay lubricated my friends!

Excellent choice, we will be eagerly awaiting the UOA.

If you can help it, don't use E 85 fuel, stick with E10 or better yet, a 91 Ethanol free.

Last edited:
due to the constantly fluctuating price of fuel, I've ran E85 about 33% of the time over the last 7000 miles. I normally buy what's cheaper. The only effects I've noticed have been a 2 - 4 mpg drop in fuel economy but I can normally compensate somewhat by going a little easier on the gas pedal. I haven't seen straight gasoline in years, at least not around the St. Louis area.

I don't know, I don't see the point in running E85 fuel. It's not good for anything. It will degrade the engine oil faster than regular or premium fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back